★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Why doesnt Apple make any games or apps?

06-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Why doesnt Apple make any games or apps?

I have not seen any apps or games made by the Apple corporation. Do they just let third party devs make them?

You are not pretty enough to be that stupid.
06-04-2009, 04:47 PM
They have made a texas holdem game, the remote app to control itunes and keynote preaentation app

06-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Yeah, it is weird that they came out with Texas Hold'em immediately, but haven't made another game since...

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." ~ Albert Einstein
06-04-2009, 04:53 PM
think they make enough money from everyone else making apps without having to make their own. and it would be abit ironic them having to pay themselves commision on every sale of their games. lol.
06-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgreen View Post
think they make enough money from everyone else making apps without having to make their own. and it would be abit ironic them having to pay themselves commision on every sale of their games. lol.
lol very true, i wonder how they would do that..

DinoSmash online id: *DoMbAv94* (stars included)
I LOVE THE IPOTCH!!!!!!
App reviewer on Appmania!
CarJack Streets Promo Code Giveaway!!!
06-04-2009, 04:56 PM
well

considering to continue any franchise (like sonic, etc.) they'd need to buy the rights

that leaves just coming up with new, original titles. they have so many devs submitting games already i don't see the advantage to them (considering the cost of production)
06-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Yeah, it is weird that they came out with Texas Hold'em immediately, but haven't made another game since...
Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

I suppose the truth is that they simply don't need to make any apps. They get heaps of money from the existing 1000,000,000 + Apps they have on the App Store. If you think about all the money they get from the App Store, let alone all the money they get on the Apple products themselves, a few more apps isn't going to make much of a difference.

And besides, they are probably too busy designing the next iPhone

Hakuna Matata
06-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Don't be fooled.

Apple is a hardware company. As much money as you think they make on the App Store, they spend it just maintaining the appstore (and all involved with it).

The real money maker is the hardware, selling iPhones and iPods. The apps are just another reason to buy the hardware from Apple. (Just like the iTunes Music was just another reason to buy an iPod).

I've made a lot of games. You've played them.
06-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippieman View Post
Don't be fooled.

Apple is a hardware company. As much money as you think they make on the App Store, they spend it just maintaining the appstore (and all involved with it).

The real money maker is the hardware, selling iPhones and iPods. The apps are just another reason to buy the hardware from Apple. (Just like the iTunes Music was just another reason to buy an iPod).
so true. everything is just an extension of their primary aim. to sell computers or iphones.
06-04-2009, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgreen View Post
so true. everything is just an extension of their primary aim. to sell computers or iphones.
Exactly, even OS X (which is why it's just $99 and has no kind of protection against piracy) as the only way to use it is to buy a mac.

I've made a lot of games. You've played them.