App description: "NOTE: HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS AND ADVANCED FEATURES ONLY SUPPORTED ON iPad2, Latest iPad, iPhone4S, iPhone5, iPod 5th Generation!"

NOTE: Horn is a graphically rich game with
advanced features. To OPTIMIZE your playing experience, you may want to
turn off other apps before playing.

**IGN- Horn is this years most impressive iOS game**
**AOL- Horn is a testament to what is possible on mobile**
**GAMEZEBO- A mobile masterpiece**
**MODOJO- The newest addiction of any iOS supporter**

**METACRITIC 94 out of 100**
**IGN - 9 out of 10-Editors Choice**
**SLIDE TO PLAY - 4 out of 4**
**GAMEZEBO - 5 out of 5**
**MODOJO 4.5 out of 5**
____________________________________
HORN is a 3rd person action adventure game - a completely unique experience where anyone can fully explore and enjoy a beautiful and engaging console-style world, all controllable by touch gestures.

You play as a young blacksmith's apprentice named Horn who wakes up to find your village and lands over run by large fantastic, and sometimes humorous, monsters. It is revealed these creatures are actually the people and animals from your village transformed by a curse, and you alone have the power to free them. On your incredible adventure you carry the loud-mouthed head of one such fantastic creature with you - a somewhat uncooperative and ill-tempered but grudgingly helpful sidekick. Along with this new companion you must use your sword, crossbow, trusty musical horn, and wits to explore the lands, defeat the enemies, and solve puzzles in your quest to undo the curse that engulfs your homeland.

Horn features:
Accessible controls that anyone can use- walking, jumping, crawling, even grapple hook, are all performed with intuitive gestures
Freely navigable console-quality detailed world- go wherever you want; not confined to limited path or rail
A rich and unique fantasy world
Touch-friendly melee combat and crossbow style weapons
3 unique and beautiful lands to discover
Endlessly escalating challenge modes
Hidden side content to discover
Score written by award winning Austin Wintory and performed with full live orchestral

metalcasket's comments:
Wish to talk about, whine, bitch or complain about Dark Meadow? Please do so here.
This has been a public service announcement from your favorite steel-lined decomposition chamber.

Note: Click here for the TA Review or here for the Hands-On Preview.





12-11-2012, 09:45 PM
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletini View Post
It's a demo to every extent. The new mode in this is as much of a "fully functional game" as the arena mode in Infinity Blade is. Nobody was or is buying, praising or recommending Horn based on its new minigame, and the developers are no more "fooling" or "ripping off" people any more than Chair would be if they released a version of Infinity Blade that only featured two normal story-mode battles and the arena mode.

Seriously though, you've only been posting since August this year and you've almost never appeared in a thread where you haven't insulted or made rude and/or unreasonable demands of a developer. The simple truth in this case is that people jumped to an erroneous conclusion, decided to take cheap potshots at the developer based on misinformation, and are now trying to move the goalposts to save face.

Nobody's screwing you over. It's a demo. The big console-esque adventure game you paid for? Nobody's getting that for free. Put your toys back in the box already.
I rest my case. You are launching unwarranted personal attacks.

I have given praise where it is due. Granted, it is exceptionally rare, but go look at the threads of Polara and Lili, I have lots and lots of good things to say about these games!

Update: And the fact you don't understand what I am saying about the game not being a "true" demo is just sad too.

Last edited by defred34; 12-11-2012 at 09:49 PM.
12-11-2012, 09:48 PM
The Quest Mode: The Quest Mode was originally conceived to come with the ver 1.0 of the game, but we had to backburner it when we needed to focus on getting the story done to ship. While the app was sitting with Apple for approval, we started working on it- so before we had any feedback at all on the game- nobody had played it yet- we were working on this mode. It was built as a mode for the Premium game.

Free Mode: After we saw all the complaints of people wanting to play the game but balking at the price, we tried to think of what offering we could give of the game away without breaking any of it. Making a old school limited "demo" seemed to be the best fit, and as we were finishing up the Quest mode, we realized it would also be a good fit since it was endless and the demo wouldn't be worthless after you completed it, but we still held back the story and puzzles and large world that you'd have to pay for the premium.

D-Pad working in Horn: The difficulty in just making it work-In a nutshell, all of our interacts are hand scripted and initiated, and they are waiting for a 'touch event' to be active. When the player touches something, their actions are hijacked so the interact can play. If the player is pressing a button to move, they never actually enter a volume where they are told to stop moving, so they will go right through interacts, possibly fall through the world. All the interacts would have to be reworked for this, new world collisions have to be built, etc.

That said, many of our partners are interested in us making a physical joystick version of the game. If we did do that, some form of virtual controls would be much easier to implement. The "tap and hold" to go forward is a great suggestion, we mentioned we'd like to do something similar in this article:
http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/...re.asp?c=45848

iPhone 5 Native Res- we are actively trying to get this in as soon as possible. It requires putting moving the game to new libraries and we do a lot of customization, so it takes longer than we'd hope.

Again, thank you all for the feedback- the comments we receive definitely drives what we focus on and how we think about things- the entire reason we didn't make a F2P version of the whole game of Horn is because of the feedback we previously received, and went with a limited demo instead.

12-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Well, I was doubtful about buying the game, because seems awesome, but I wasn't really sure. However, I played the demo version and now I'm sure I'll be buying it soon.

The only thing it's concerning me it's sometimes the game became a little laggy but just for a seconds. About the dpad, I fhink just an option would be good, perhaps something seemed like the Chaos Rings dpad. This guys did an awesome work, the highly detailed faces and lips synchronization seems great. Anyways, thanks for the demo version
12-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfield View Post
...lips synchronization seems great.
I remember when I played the game the lip synchronization was quite some way off (it was noticeable). So you're saying somewhere along the line they improved it and the lip movement is almost exactly as they speak?
12-11-2012, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by defred34 View Post
I remember when I played the game the lip synchronization was quite some way off (it was noticeable). So you're saying somewhere along the line they improved it and the lip movement is almost exactly as they speak?
I'm sorry I didn't get what your said (Poor english)

What I'm saying it's a nice improvement. But if I get what you're asking, you're wondering if the lip movement is exactly the same as the word they speak? If so, I didn't saw so much detailed movement, but the movement was, like I said, a good improve
12-11-2012, 10:49 PM
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by redribbon View Post
can you just make the control like in LILI ? both of you share the same control scheme but different mechanism. i prefer the control like in lili if you can.
- tap to walk, tap again to stop
- slide to see around while walking or running
- double tap to run, tap again to stop

its simple isnt it? much better than having your finger on screen all the time to tap. not so good experience when you want to enjoy the scenery and beautiful graphics in the game.
I made this same recommendation somewhere earlier in the thread. Yes, Lili's controls are among the best for a free movement game on touchscreen devices - so simple and amazing to use, and lets you enjoy the scenery.

However, judging by their response (which is a little vague), neither this nor a traditional d-pad can be implemented.
12-11-2012, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by defred34 View Post
I made this same recommendation somewhere earlier in the thread. Yes, Lili's controls are among the best for a free movement game on touchscreen devices - so simple and amazing to use, and lets you enjoy the scenery.

However, judging by their response (which is a little vague), neither this nor a traditional d-pad can be implemented.
As I understood it is that when you tap on the screen to move, they check against the environment to see if you can go there.
It is a one time check.
If they change to a virtual D-pad, they will have to check against your movement at every single frame to ensure you don't go out of bound.
But it seems, for optimization purpose I assume, they have a very simple collision detection system that goes very well with the tap scheme but would allow you to go out of bound with a virtual D-pad.
So it means they will have to add more collision logic to each element in the game, which could certainly lead to performances problem.

But it might not be what he was saying though lol.
12-11-2012, 11:45 PM
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoi View Post
As I understood it is that when you tap on the screen to move, they check against the environment to see if you can go there.
It is a one time check.
If they change to a virtual D-pad, they will have to check against your movement at every single frame to ensure you don't go out of bound.
But it seems, for optimization purpose I assume, they have a very simple collision detection system that goes very well with the tap scheme but would allow you to go out of bound with a virtual D-pad.
So it means they will have to add more collision logic to each element in the game, which could certainly lead to performances problem.

But it might not be what he was saying though lol.
Ok, what you say makes sense....but if they are able to implement a progressive tap-to-go (you don't need to lift your finger and the movement is smooth), then this argument doesn't hold water (correct me if I'm wrong).
12-12-2012, 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by defred34 View Post
Ok, what you say makes sense....but if they are able to implement a progressive tap-to-go (you don't need to lift your finger and the movement is smooth), then this argument doesn't hold water (correct me if I'm wrong).
I guess tap-to-go is a bit easier to implement because it is just a straight line.
You just need to calculate the maximum end point at the time of the tap.
So it might still be hard to implement but easier than an 100% virtual D-Pad.

Note that I am extrapolating what he wrote so take this with a huge grain of sault.
12-12-2012, 12:42 AM
Is it just me or is combat achingly unresponsive at times. Maybe I'm too used to playing infinity blade, but I find that I just can't react the same way, and I don't seem to have many cues to go off of. Maybe this is because I've just started playing the demo today, but I feel I should be able to pick up on something when it comes to fighting the pygons.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 PM.