★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Pocket God 1.18 - Fun 'N Games until a Pygmy gets Hurt

06-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Pocket God 1.18 - Fun 'N Games until a Pygmy gets Hurt

Hey Everyone,

Sorry for the late post, I have just been really busy. This week we launched the Jackie Button (of course I am going to do another shameless plug). This is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and even greater than that if you don't like bread. Jackie Button on iTunes. We will be updating the Jackie Button alot but it will mainly be content updates, so it wont interfere with Pocket God. If you do like it though, there is a thread about the Jackie Button, please leave feedback and what you would like to see.

So, back to Pocket God. The new update adds some micro games and achievements. We added three micro games that keep score - Max Coconut Bounces without hitting the ground, Max Lighting during a hurricane without slowing the hurricane down, Max Shark Snaps without letting go of a Pygmy or allowing the Shark to catch the Pygmy. I call them micro games because they are built into the existing functionality. We also added two achievements, how many Pygmies can you spear at a time underwater, and how many Pygmies can you bowl off the island in one shot. In the future we will be adding these achievements to Feint, so other people can see what you accomplish if they look at your feint profile.

About Feint, we had a great meeting with them a few weeks ago and it looks like they will be implementing our #1 requested feature. better chat room moderation. We have been waiting for this for a while and once we get to the point where people can use the chat rooms, we will start asking them for new features having to do with the leaderboards, maybe reset them each week so everyone has a change to get a high rank and the scores dont get too high where you dont think its worth even trying.

The biggest change with the new update is all the cleanup we did, people have been submitting lots of glitches and a lot of people actually have a good time finding them but we need to make sure they get fixed otherwise they can lead to bigger issues in the future. I want to thank everyone that has been posting and emailing glitches that they find along with steps that we can use to reproduce the issues. and I also want to thank HDGreen who went through all the forums and our blog comment sections and created a master glitch list that we are using to track everything. We went through and fixed a lot of stuff. The codebase is so big nowadays that we have to do these cleanup updates more frequently now, but when we do them, we will still try and add some kind of new functionality even if its not as much as some of our bigger updates.

Technically, we made a lot of improvements to the animation tool, Allan is now able to animate dynamic text which we use for the achievement congrats screens. and we made the size of our animation binary data a lot smaller. lol, since it's easy for Allan to use the tool to make key framed animations, we have been adding bigger and bigger animations on every update. The animation data alone was getting close to 2 megs and we were able to optimize it to under 800k with this update.

As far as the next udpate goes, I think all you pyromaniacs will be happy.

One more thing about the thread. Toward the end of the last thread, RabidKnuck and HDGreen both made good points about how the thread tends to get boring for a lot of people, I know a lot of people that used to be active early on never post anymore and its because we get so many pages of non content each hour, even for me, I read every page on all our threads and it gets tiring to go through it every couple of hours. Please have some restraint in posting, if you are just saying you like someones art, send a PM instead. if you want to know when the update will be out, its easy, look for when we submitted it, and it will likely be out 4-5 days after that and if its later than that, no one will be able to tell you when, because at the end of the day, its all up to Apple and how busy they are. And you guys generate way more ideas than we can ever hope to implement, I think we would have to work on Pocket God for the next 10 years to get to it all, and by then there would be so many ideas that my grand kids would have to finish it for me. I read all the new ideas, but I just can't respond to all of them.
06-04-2009, 04:49 PM
hahaha ur grand kids!! yep..sure were lots of useless pages in there. PMing is a great tool.

06-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecazz View Post
One more thing about the thread. Toward the end of the last thread, RabidKnuck and HDGreen both made good points about how the thread tends to get boring for a lot of people, I know a lot of people that used to be active early on never post anymore and its because we get so many pages of non content each hour, even for me, I read every page on all our threads and it gets tiring to go through it every couple of hours. Please have some restraint in posting, if you are just saying you like someones art, send a PM instead. if you want to know when the update will be out, its easy, look for when we submitted it, and it will likely be out 4-5 days after that and if its later than that, no one will be able to tell you when, because at the end of the day, its all up to Apple and how busy they are. And you guys generate way more ideas than we can ever hope to implement, I think we would have to work on Pocket God for the next 10 years to get to it all, and by then there would be so many ideas that my grand kids would have to finish it for me. I read all the new ideas, but I just can't respond to all of them.
THank you for making this point. I would love to join back in the discussion on these threads, but the current spam levels make following them a waste of time

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." ~ Albert Einstein
06-04-2009, 04:52 PM
poor pygmies LOL

this sounds cool... i'll pick it up ASAP
06-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Sounds like a awsome update. Now, how mnay more updates will there be?? You think or will it be forever lol.
06-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Thread comes out the day my iPod gets stolen...

Anyways sounds cool. I like the idea of microgames more thna minigames.

Hey, anyone remember me? I used to be the #1 in Pygmies Eaten by T-Rex in PG.

I love to beta test. I've done about 5 or 6 apps. You can PM me if you want, I'm running an 8GB ipod Touch 2nd Generation. 3.1.2 Software also. Thanks.
06-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocked View Post
Thread comes out the day my iPod gets stolen...
dude that sux. hope u find it again, i lost mine once too
06-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the info in the new update. very informative and I as well hope that ppl listen to everything you posted...especially towards the end of your statement. My eyes hurt from all the accumulated bull in the past update threads.
06-04-2009, 05:01 PM
Pyromaniacs will be happy ay? Does that mean that the change temp update is next which will allow you to set the pygmies on fire if the temp gets too high? I hope so.
06-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Send a message via AIM to Metalbear
sorry about the useles posting... i'll stop...

BTW great job on retooling. Once again, (not to give you more grey hairs dave) but did you receive my pm? sorry if i was annoying the developer out of you back there!

The Metal Fist
Gnome King of the North
Bolt Creative, Rocketcat Games and MountainSheep
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyWhoDoesStuff View Post
Metal bear is going to be a king boss of minigore?