Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-18-2012, 02:14 PM

Default Astra Itinera

Old 08-18-2012, 02:15 PM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Wow, I just came across this hidden retro 4X gem. Can't believe no one talked about it yet.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:07 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfrozen View Post
Wow, I just came across this hidden retro 4X gem. Can't believe no one talked about it yet.
It weird how this touch arcade bot posts crappy looking games then right after you post, wow look at this 4x gem nobody is talking about. Check the galactic dominion thread, it's exactly the same. Is this some kind of scam or what.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:23 PM
iPad mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyB View Post
It weird how this touch arcade bot posts crappy looking games then right after you post, wow look at this 4x gem nobody is talking about. Check the galactic dominion thread, it's exactly the same. Is this some kind of scam or what.
This game came out first...
Old 08-18-2012, 05:51 PM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyB View Post
The bot generated those threads because I tapped 'Start Thread' from the game page on the Touch Arcade App. It's a feature intended for players to initiate threads for games they are interested that currently have no thread, not a scam.

I did a search through the TA App for 4X to see if I could uncover good 4X games that I haven't come across. It's similar to doing an AppShopper search where you get different results than through the AppStore.

I've found Astra Itinera to be more geared for playing very quick and simple 4X matches while Galactic Dominion has a lot more complexity to it. Astra reminds me of Master of Orion or the first couple Space Empires, streamlined.

My comments are genuine and my nerd love for 4X games shall not be questioned. JK, you should try out generating a new thread through the App, it's pretty easy.

Surprisingly though, Astra Itinera is iPad only but very simple and Galactic Dominion, which is iPhone/iPod Touch is the more immersive game. A bit odd device strategy for both games but hopefully they go universal.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:18 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Alright my bad just thought it was weird, if you want a 4x game, starbase Orion is by far, IMO , the best money can buy. It's even better then most pc 4x games out there.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:37 PM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Agreed, Starbase Orion is the best 4X on iOS. I am always on the lookout for different experiences though and i do enjoy the 5-10 min matches.

The game has a pretty cool premise. Civilization fell into chaos and you are re-establishing order at the same time as other ambitious empires are expanding.

The galaxy starts off blanketed in a fog of war, except your planets, and every sector you discover takes control of the sector from marauders. There's an update journal that you can read every turn that catalogues battles and lists sectors or planets changed hands, even when an empire discovers a new sector and drives back the mauraders.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:39 PM
iPad Air

I appreciate the post, Unfrozen. I am also shamelessly obsessed with 4X games.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:40 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

I know this is late but I just came across this thread. It's encouraging to hear your comments on Astra Itinera, so I wanted to say thanks!

This Fall I released two minor updates and I'm working on another. Regarding it being iPad only, I did that because I didn't enjoy playing it on an iPhone's smaller screen so I focused on the iPad. I did try to streamline it in functionality and in UI. I played it as I developed it which affected the outcome (lol, I can't tell you how many times I intended to test something and got wrapped up in playing out the game). I also like 10-20 min games as well as the occasional long game (thus the options).

Feel free to contact me direct with questions or comments!

Regards,
John
Old 12-04-2013, 03:17 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

Got Astra Itinera. Interesting game with clean design but one serious problem and one game-killing problem:

The serious problem is the tutorial and manual are not enough and I can't figure out how to play.

The game-killer is, it is a long game...with no fu#*in' way to save your progress. What was the developer thinking