★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Axon Runners $2.99 ---> Free

08-19-2012, 08:35 PM
Axon Runners $2.99 ---> Free

Not free yet, but should be within the next couple of hours.

For anyone that has this, I actually do have a question. Is Axon Z the "lite" version of this or a version that is capable of running on lower end devices?

I wanted to get this when it came out but heard it wouldn't run or it would crash on a 3GS. When I saw this was going to go free, I saw that it wasn't yet, but found Axon Z, downloaded it and it runs perfectly fine. Yet there's no button or advertising to get the "full version" so I'm not sure if it is actually a full version just with reduced graphics, etc.

The "version" that's going free says it's optimized for iPad 2/iPhone 4 and 512 MB devices. So it's not very clear what Axon Z is.

Anyway, from playing Axon Z, it seems like a fun game. Just want to know if there's a difference content wise (space is an issue so it'd be a pain to download this verison to find that it doesn't work).

Last edited by awp69; 08-19-2012 at 08:40 PM.
08-19-2012, 09:12 PM
thanks for the heads up downloading now, i'm not sure but i thing the axon z is just a lite version

08-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Yeah, weird. Axon z seems by the description to be the same as Axon runner except optimized for 512 mb devices, so runner must be better I guess. This game too, I always thought would end up as a freemium since it was sponsored by coca cola.

I got no idea since I didn't own it before, but is it freemium now? Graphics look really cool in the screenshots, so even if it is freemium, it would be fun to tryout.

And who knows, if I like it, I'm sure I would be thirsty enough to buy a coke.
08-19-2012, 10:53 PM
Both games are free, and it looks like Runner is the optimized for higher end devices version while Z is not.
Other than that, I don't see any difference between the two.
08-19-2012, 10:54 PM
Nice! I'll give this a shot.
08-19-2012, 11:48 PM
Well, just to clarify Axon Z IS a demo. You play about 5 levels before it tells you to buy the full game. Kind of deceptive with the description. So grab Runners if you want the full game.

Last edited by awp69; 08-20-2012 at 12:48 AM.
08-20-2012, 02:34 AM
I hate to see good games go free... But get this game for free.

If you like subway runner's 4-direction swipe controls, give this game a spin. It's like Subway Runners, but it has a 360-degree control scheme. It starts out easy for everyone to understand the game, and is pretty hardcore when it comes to difficulty, especially when trying to complete challenges.

One of my favorite runners.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
08-20-2012, 02:36 AM
I hate to see good games go free... But get this game for free, I highly recommend it.

If you like subway runner's 4-direction swipe controls, give this game a spin. It's like Subway Runners, but it has a 360-degree control scheme. It starts out easy for everyone to understand the game, and is pretty hardcore when it comes to difficulty, especially when trying to complete challenges.

Easily one of my favorite runners. Get Axon Runners. Axon Z is like a lite version.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
08-20-2012, 04:04 AM
I tried the lite version earlier and was put off by the controls.

Decided to give this another shot and I'm loving it now! Hardcore difficulty indeed
08-20-2012, 08:44 AM
Fun and challenging game. Despite it's Temple Run type style, the 360-degree navigation makes it feel like something entirely different. Is there an endless mode unlockable?

Only complaint so far is the large file size 355 MB installed. Pretty massive for a runner style game, but I'll be playing it a while.