★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Rush city $1.99 to free

08-20-2012, 12:33 AM
Rush city $1.99 to free

Rush city is an endless runner with a Martian creature running on top of buildings in New York. It is pretty good but best of all, it has a small app size. Looks pretty good on my new ipad, and it is a decent endless runner.

It has some inapps, and while I don't know if it is going to become a freemium conversion, it is fun to play. Seems almost all endless runners are going the freemium route. This is going to be on free app a day, so it will be getting some exposure soon.

Give it a try, it is not the highest quality game, but pretty decent and definitely worth a download. Recommended!

If someone could link this for me, I would appreciate it.

Temporary link for now:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...FZSWHMk3xkIp2Q

Edit: thanks to mrbiggles for linking once again! You are rad!

Last edited by Connector; 08-20-2012 at 12:48 AM.
08-20-2012, 12:39 AM

08-20-2012, 12:41 AM
Thanks Connector and mrbiggles, you can never have too much endless runners
08-20-2012, 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shero89 View Post
Thanks Connector and mrbiggles, you can never have too much endless runners
Haha, I don't really like endless runners, but this game is simple and fun with retina ipad graphics. But heck, since almost all endless runners seem free nowadays, loading them up once in a while is fun!
08-20-2012, 11:12 PM
Hey everybody, I'm Rush City's developer. Thanks a ton for posting about it and taking it for a run. I'm planning on keeping it free for at least another 3 weeks - after that, who knows. I have millions of people playing my Air Hockey games & I'd really love it if tons of people played Rush City too.

@Connector - Yeah, I really worked hard to keep the app size down. It's made with Unity & it took some serious magic to keep it under 20MB for the original version. Apple changed the cell download limit to 50MB, so I let the game creep a little bigger for the last two updates. I hate waiting forever for downloads though, so I really wanted to keep it as small as possible.

The original version didn't have the in-game store (for the power ups) or IAP. I really wanted the game to be playable & fun without "requiring" people to spend money on IAP. I've finished all the achievements twice now without using any IAP (challenge - go!).

There are some people talking about some framerate hits on "older" devices. I'm working on ironing those out for the next update. If anyone sees any other issues (or things they like about the game), please let me know. I love getting feedback on my games.

It looks like there are at least 30,000 new players today and about 5k from yesterday. I'm excited to have everyone playing it!

Enjoy!
08-20-2012, 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acceleroto View Post
Hey everybody, I'm Rush City's developer. Thanks a ton for posting about it and taking it for a run. I'm planning on keeping it free for at least another 3 weeks - after that, who knows. I have millions of people playing my Air Hockey games & I'd really love it if tons of people played Rush City too.

@Connector - Yeah, I really worked hard to keep the app size down. It's made with Unity & it took some serious magic to keep it under 20MB for the original version. Apple changed the cell download limit to 50MB, so I let the game creep a little bigger for the last two updates. I hate waiting forever for downloads though, so I really wanted to keep it as small as possible.

Enjoy!
Hey, good to meet you, thanks for posting! Your air hockey game was one of the first game I downloaded on ios, and it's good to play this game too. I like the game, it is fast, has cool music, and has a really small file size.

Developers seem to forget about file size nowadays, it is refreshing to have a game you can install on your iphone without deleting tons of other programs.

Because of that, it will probably stay on my ipad for a very long time. Also, I like how this has a different theme from other endless runners, and like how the game is kind of fastpace, which I find more fun.

Good luck with your future games, thanks for making this one temporarily free.
08-21-2012, 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
Hey, good to meet you, thanks for posting! Your air hockey game was one of the first game I downloaded on ios, and it's good to play this game too. I like the game, it is fast, has cool music, and has a really small file size.
Good to meet you too. Thanks for downloading Air Hockey too. That game is still going strong - even after 4 years in the App Store. Love it!

Quote:
Developers seem to forget about file size nowadays, it is refreshing to have a game you can install on your iphone without deleting tons of other programs.

Because of that, it will probably stay on my ipad for a very long time. Also, I like how this has a different theme from other endless runners, and like how the game is kind of fastpace, which I find more fun.
Awesome, glad to hear it. I definitely wanted to make the theme different than the other runners out there. I'm a friend of David Frampton's & the scene for the city was heavily inspired by a level in his game Chopper 2. It's different, but close enough that I asked him if it was cool that I designed my city that way. The alien in the game took forever to decide on...that's a whole other story.

Quote:
Good luck with your future games, thanks for making this one temporarily free.
Thanks! If all goes well with the free promo, it might be more than just a temporary free sale...we'll see!

Thanks for all the feedback. I really appreciate it. Who else?
08-22-2012, 12:10 AM
Ok, super excited here...Rush City just broke into the top 200 free apps in the App Store on the US iPhone chart. Love it!
08-22-2012, 12:36 PM
I think you should make the buildings in the background extend past the bottom of the screen rather than have a plain black "ground" visible.
08-22-2012, 01:41 PM
The alien look takes a bit of getting used to, but glad to have another endless runner to mess around with