★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Towers of Babble - The Evolutionary 3D Word Game!

08-20-2012, 10:54 AM
Towers of Babble - The Evolutionary 3D Word Game!

http://nt7games.com/games/towers-of-babble
Direct App Store Link: http://nt7games.com/games/towers-of-babble

Towers of Babble is a TOTALLY FREE, tile-based word game that challenges the mind like nothing you've experienced before!

Played on a smaller 9x9 board, Towers of Babble allows players to play "traditional" horizontal and vertical moves as well as 3D STACKED moves! Swipe your finger across the screen to ROTATE the board in 3D, allowing you to plot your next move!

The higher you stack, the more points you get. Get rewarded for using your intelligence and playing good words - not just for getting a "Triple Word" score!

- Play against the computer when you want to keep the game moving quickly!
- Try to beat the computer in IMPOSSIBLE MODE!
- Challenge Friends from your contact list, Facebook, via username, or get matched with a random opponent!
- Over 60 Game Center Achievements and Leaderboards!
- Purchasable Best Word Tokens allow you to play the best word on the board, giving you an edge over your opponent!

08-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Maybe I'm just jaded, but I didn't even start the game after downloading it.

The reason? Makes you login with Facebook or email. Then with all of that there is a bunch of IAP selections. a $2.99 for "no ads" seems at least a buck too high, but I guess I can see that. But there's also a charge for some sort of scoring system...analyzer... I don't even want to bother with this one.

So... note to the dev... If you have GameCenter with the game there are many IOS users who don't want to then add a Facebook or other sort of login for the game. We've been burned too many times with companies that then make a little more money on the side selling the info off. I know that you'll now come on and say that you wouldn't do that, but so did the others.

Looked at the reviews on the iTunes store and found all but one where this is the only game they've reviewed, another little tip off.

I was looking forward to seeing what the AI would do for this game since there is none in Skywords, but I decided to just pass as soon as the game forced a login.

Agent of TOFTT
Gamecenter Tag: QuickWit5
08-21-2012, 08:29 PM
I could use an anagrammer for free, not that I condone this kind of cheating.

I'm not sure what's "evolutionary" about this, they invented Up Words.
08-22-2012, 10:07 AM
Hey QuickWit,

We made the decision to require a login for a couple reasons. Before I address that, I think it's important to touch on the information selling/sharing thing. NT7 Would never do that; it breaks trust between us and our customers, is dishonest, isn't worth the money up front, and even if we were smarmy like that, it isn't worth the flaming we would surely get on forums like these if we got caught!

So now that that's out of the way ...

We made the decision to require a login for a couple reasons. We found that engagement and feedback on an individual level is lacking in a lot of games that just rely on GameCenter. Many games use their social media pages as an afterthought, and we didn't want to do that. The ability to recognize people's in-game accomplishments across social networks is important - it rewards skilled play and helps build a user base - two things that are really important to us.

However, maybe we should consider the option to just play as a guest with a username. I promise to bring it up with the team as your argument is definitely compelling.

I hope you'll reconsider and log in - preferably via Facebook so you get the best experience possible (and easily connect with your friends rather than random people). We are proud of the game and think it's super fun, but we certainly aren't pig-headed and are always open to feedback!

Finally, the AI is as bad-ass as you make it. No one has ever beat the Impossible AI mode - not even anyone in-house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickWit View Post
Maybe I'm just jaded, but I didn't even start the game after downloading it.

The reason? Makes you login with Facebook or email. Then with all of that there is a bunch of IAP selections. a $2.99 for "no ads" seems at least a buck too high, but I guess I can see that. But there's also a charge for some sort of scoring system...analyzer... I don't even want to bother with this one.

So... note to the dev... If you have GameCenter with the game there are many IOS users who don't want to then add a Facebook or other sort of login for the game. We've been burned too many times with companies that then make a little more money on the side selling the info off. I know that you'll now come on and say that you wouldn't do that, but so did the others.

Looked at the reviews on the iTunes store and found all but one where this is the only game they've reviewed, another little tip off.

I was looking forward to seeing what the AI would do for this game since there is none in Skywords, but I decided to just pass as soon as the game forced a login.
08-22-2012, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by indalico View Post
I could use an anagrammer for free, not that I condone this kind of cheating.

I'm not sure what's "evolutionary" about this, they invented Up Words.
indalico,

One of the reasons we're very excited about Towers of Babble is that cheating will be a lot harder than traditional 2D word games. Since players are rewarded two points for every tile beneath newly placed tiles, the best move is often to stack, not build out. Since a ToB "cheat app" would need to take into account the third dimension of the board, it becomes much more difficult for a developer to do the image recognition, and is virtually impossible to do from a birds eye view. In fact, I would venture to say that you would be at a disadvantage if you relied on a traditional SCRABBLE cheat utility while playing ToB.

Everybody on the dev team played UpWords as a kid and we definitely drew inspiration from it. However, we've blended rule sets from popular word games and are not just an UpWords nor Scrabble clone.

We offer a 3D rotatable board and thought-provoking game mechanics. Couple that with an AI that will have you biting your nails if you play on a hard-enough mode, and yes - we propose that ToB is a fun and evolutionary step in the word game genre!