Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 06-26-2012, 04:05 PM

Default Super Durak

Old 06-26-2012, 04:24 PM

Tried to purchase this, but it says it is "currently being modified. Please try again later". Never known this before.

Edit: now working, and the price has been reduced. That must have been the "modification".

Last edited by CamZer0; 06-26-2012 at 04:36 PM..
Old 06-26-2012, 05:08 PM
iPad, iOS 5.x

I played Durak with some friends quite often some years ago and we had really a lot of fun.

The aim of the game is basically to get rid of your cards and do not be the last one with any cards on its hands. You do so by "attacking" your left neighbour with your cards, means you play a card and he has to play a higher card of the same suit or a trump card. Trump suit is determined at the beginning of a game.
When he decides to defend with a card, then you and all other players can attack him with cards of the same value, either of the card you played first or of the same value he played to defend against your attack.
If he could defend successfully all cards on the table are put out of the game and everyone has to take new cards up to 6 and the former defendant attacks his left neighbour. If he wasn't successful or just did not defend, he has to take ALL cards on the table and the others have to fill their hand up to 6 cards. And even worse, because he lost his defense he is not allowed to be the next attacker. Instead his left neighbour is the new attacker.
The game goes on until there are no cards left. There is normally no winner, just one looser.

This is only a rough overview of the gameplay. To get more info about the game just search google for

For me it is one of the best card games I know.
So I was positively surprised to see that there is an App out.
I got it some days ago, when it was on sale.
I do not regret it, I think now that I knew the App, I would pay the full price.
The App is very polished and has a good atmosphere with funny but absolutely congenial sounds.
The graphical style especially the coloring reminds me of the early "good, old communist" era of Russia, maybe around the 1930/40ies.
You can play different single player modes, which includes the original rules and 2 additional "add-on" rules, against 1, 2 or 3 computer opponents.
@Dev Here is my first little criticism: It would be nice if you could add different difficulty settings. In my opinion the computer players are a little bit too weak, or I am maybe some kind Durak Pro. I havn't lost a game yet.

And then you have multiplayer via gamecenter which leads to my second point of criticism. I would like to have some kind of lobby, where I can actually see how many players are online, so that you can decide wether it would be wise to try finding players for a 4 player round or better looking for 1 on 1 and where you can chat with them. Just seeing a gamecenter message how long it takes creating game is a little bit boring.

So, I still have no MP experience right now, but to be fair I must admit, that I only tried to find players once!
I hope that some of you card sharks here at TA are getting interested and give Durak a try. It is worth it!
If you would like to add me, please do so, I would be glad

Last edited by Cromwell; 06-26-2012 at 05:29 PM..
Old 06-26-2012, 05:31 PM

Cromwell, thank you for that explanation of the game. The app states it has a tutorial for beginners (like me) but it is not a tutorial at all! It is just a dummy run, where cards you can play are highlighted. It does not teach you the rules, or explain game terminology, it doesn't even point out there is a trump card! Seriously, make a proper tutorial! Otherwise beginners will just not bother with this game.

Now I have more of an idea what I'm doing, I'm going to give it another go.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:55 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

I also would give my thanks to Cromwell, as I've had this game in my Appshopper list for some time, but despite sales have never taken the plunge because despite the attractive art and that its a card game.. I had no idea what was going on.

Know thats been somewhat explained I may well take the plunge!
Old 06-26-2012, 05:57 PM
iPad, iOS 5.x

When you play the tutorial game, press the "?" in the lower left corner.
I remarked it just a minute ago for the first time. You will get some explanations about the terminology and how to play the game.

Edit: And turn off "Transfer" in the first non tutorial games, as I think it is not part of the standard Durak rules.
I am not sure about this, but we didn't played it with "Transfer" some years ago.

Last edited by Cromwell; 06-26-2012 at 06:04 PM..
Old 06-26-2012, 07:14 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Heh, I play this on a daily basis. "Transfer" is just a slight variation on the rules - a slightly different version of the game.

What "transfer" means is if your opponent attacks you with let's say a 7 and you have a 7 in your hand, you can "transfer" the attack to the next player, who will have to defend against the original 7 that you got attacked with, as well as the 7 you put down to "transfer" the attack. Effectively, you become the attacker now and the other person has to defend. Of course, they can then transfer the attack too, if they have another 7.

There's quite a bit of strategy involved in the game, but you don't have to care if you don't want to - in person, at least, this is a brilliant game.
Sadly, playing against an AI is not as much fun.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:47 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Glad you guys like the game! Feel free to ask any questions - I'm the dev.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:51 PM
iPad, iOS 5.x

Hi Kirill, glad you find your way to TA.

As a Dev you will find a lot of gaming addicts here, which are hungry for new "drugs" and are willing to participate in beta tests
Beware, most of them are not mindless zombies, they are harsh, but mainly fair critics which will rip your work into pieces if it fails to please them
And if you want to give away PromoCodes, keep the User Sanuku in mind.
He has made many "First XX minutes of gameplay" videos, which often led to a positive buy decision.

Now for your game. What I would like to see is a lobby in multiplayer, a leaderbord of some kind and maybe in the future a league/tournament mode.

What is very important, too, that "Durak" as a card game in general, has to be promoted outside Russia and other classic Durak countries.
It is a great card game, which makes a lot of fun, so I can only recommend to
play it with real cards with your friends, too.
Best when you have some beers! You will love it!
Old 06-28-2012, 08:43 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Thanks! Yeah, I expect criticism and suggestions, which ultimately should help me make better apps. I did send Sanuku a promo code.

The latest version of Durak (1.4) does have lobby based multiplayer (Multiplayer/Internets), but since the update is fairly new, there aren't any players to play with.. Or it seems that people pop in, see that there are no games, and pop out. Nobody seems to create a game and wait a couple minutes. I created a game, and within a couple minutes somebody joined in.

I was considering adding leaderboards, but it really only makes sense if there are more competitive players online.