Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-24-2012, 06:01 AM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by the9quad View Post
Yeah totally worth one star because of that, how dare they miss something! At least your not being petty and over reacting.
Yeah, how dare I use the one tool a customer has at their disposal to communicate their dissatisfaction.

And btw, I was woken out of my sleep several times due to my phone lighting up when the game was sending me an alert. That may be petty to you, but I work for a living -- thanks.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:14 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

After waiting for too long (dismissed the title for not being universal back in the day then other things kept me busy) I finally picked up the game and...oh boy...I'm addicted.
I'm addicted much more than I thought I would be...expecially after the game strategy clicked and I started to win consistently almost negating the luck effect.
Presentation is top notch (CodingMonkey standard, so we are talking about the best of the best here)....best tutorial I ever saw (and heard) and so many little touches here and there...not to mention the best stats tracking I ever experienced.
I must confess that contrary to my initial feelings, even if the 2X app on a retina iPad seems almost native, I would never play it on the larger screen....it fits PERFECTLY the iPhone, you do not have to read cards or anything like that (like Ascension or Nightfall for example) and it's just perfect (besides, I HATE portrait games on iPad).
If anything...the only thing I wish for the future is a Universal update to have my iPad-only friends pick it up to play togheter (non Universal, meaning not able to play iPhone vs iPad, would be meaningless and condemn the iPad version to oblivion).

The only thing I wished it was more developed is a sort of background story...ok...you are supposed to be an explorer and maybe the 5 lanes are different ancient cities...but it's just my guess...you can't find any info about this.
It's a very minor thing in a super slick package.

The fact you level up doing specific tasks (like in a endless runner) keep you playing the single player game (it's an achievemnt galore)...just in time when multiplayer opens up.
Then it's endless, fast and addicting.

Highly recommended.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitta View Post
Highly recommended.
My GCID is griffin611 and is always open for a MP...
Old 02-05-2013, 03:15 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by currymutton View Post
My GCID is griffin611 and is always open for a MP...
Well actually I invited you (we play BotB too...I'm Pitta :P) yesterday but got no answer :P
Did you receive my invite?
Same with Tecwrtr which I used to play Ascension and a bit of Nightfall LOOOOOONG ago.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:36 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

I'm playing with Lost City everyday, trying to develop new strategies (bad luck not included, of course!), and I find it one of the most addicting card games on the Store. Sure, it's theme about ancient civilizations is only a background to play on, but the game pushes you match after match to improve your skill level and climb the ladder of the leaderboard.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:04 AM
iPhone 4

This keeps getting good reviews. Is it really THAT good? I still haven't picked it up yet. Been waiting for a sale, because to me, judging a book by its cover, the photos just look like a kind of solitaire or something. I didn't realise it could push u along to play so much?!
Old 02-05-2013, 05:29 AM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbs View Post
This keeps getting good reviews. Is it really THAT good? I still haven't picked it up yet. Been waiting for a sale, because to me, judging a book by its cover, the photos just look like a kind of solitaire or something. I didn't realise it could push u along to play so much?!
Yeah, that's kinda what it is, a two-player solitaire. It's good for what it is.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:21 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Referring to it as merely two-player solitaire is selling it short. Lost Cities is my second most played iOS app, behind Ascension.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:19 AM
Banned
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

It's very intuitive if you've played solitaire. On the other hand, it is much more adversarial and strategic then something like ascension, luck plays less of a factor that's for sure. It's really one of those times when simple to learn but complex to master is totally true.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:58 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbs View Post
Well I can give you my experience.
At first I didn't buy the game for the whole non Universal debate (I had just bought an iPad back in the day so I was sensible to the matter)...then I looked elsewhere.
But the game still occasionally pop up in my mind and some days ago I bought it.
Now I think I was just plain dumb.
After 3 days of playing and, above all, starting playing consistently multiplayer, I'm loving it.
First day was: yeah it's really good.
You will notice immediately the slick interface and the awesome soundtrack as a standout...gameplay is like solitaire.
Then I started to win consistently against the first AI (there are four, the game has TONS of achivements to level up that 'force' you to play single player) and then I lost again against the other AIs....so while at first I thought it was just 'strategy-light' and much luck dependant I started to realize that there is a lot of strategy involved to actually win against all odds (in particular during the givaway part...lot of risk taking sometimes).
Then I started playing online async and a whole new strategies opened (while I lost hopelessy).
Now the game is really awesome in my book and I can really say I'm addicted as I was in the first months of Ascension and Lost Cities will be now part of my daily routine.

On a side note...the devs are still the masters of the async interface.
This game oozes polish and interface tweaks to work wonderfully.

Sometimes I really wish other devs just played Carcassonne and Lost Cities more and take notice (like the NEXT game button).

A personal request to all reading this and actually playing against me...PLEASE...add a picture, whichever pic you want, to your Gamencenter profile!!!!
It's too cute to see it inside the game