★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Need ideas for SciFly 2 arcade challenges

06-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Send a message via AIM to jshmrsn
Need ideas for SciFly 2 arcade challenges [new feature]

So, now that E3 is done, I'm getting back to work on SciFly 2. I'm still not 100% sure I will be adding this feature, but I think I'm going to add arcade-mode challenges to the game.

Right now the game is all about the island conquest mode which is sorta the "campaign." The arcade challenges would be a bunch of small mini-games. I figured, if I have the framework for a flying game, why not add some fun flying mini-games?

This would also be a little throwback to the original SciFly which was basically mini-game based.

So far the two ideas I have for mini games are wave-survival and ring "racing".

Wave survival would be the standard survive as many waves of enemies before you get destroyed game play.

Ring "racing"
would be a mode where you have to fly through a set course of rings as quickly as possible.

So does anyone have any ideas for these arcade modes? Or ideas for new arcade modes? I'd really like to have more than just two modes, so I'd love to get some feedback from TA :-)

p.s. if you don't know what SciFly 2 is like, you're welcome to view Arn's hands-on video/impressions:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Josh Rosen
Developed Above & Beyond Air Combat (Now Available!)
Developed: SciFly
Twitter: @jshmrsn

Last edited by jshmrsn; 06-05-2009 at 07:50 PM.
06-06-2009, 01:56 AM
a mini game were you have to shoot down a number of targets in a certain amount of time.

06-06-2009, 03:07 AM
CTF (Capture the Flag) mode, where you must fly to the enemys island and fly through a ring to take the flag and then bring the flag back to your island and fly through the ring there. (If the flag is still there (at the ring), you get one point)!

mabe a better CTF description from UT 2004:

The other game modes in the list wuld be nice, too.

Deathmatch: Fly around and kill enemys on one big island.
06-06-2009, 03:50 AM
Probably too hard, but online multiplayer would be awesome . And the mini games idea sounds good.
06-06-2009, 04:08 AM
a Boss. a really big Spaceship or something like that, (or a demon) which you have to shoot alone or with your friends.
06-06-2009, 10:32 AM
i like the CTF idea, i would like to see a multiplayer co-op where u and other people have to shoot down bots, if possible (probably too hard tho)

Plus+, Openfeint, and Gameloft Live Username: Vester
Add me on GameCenter: Sock Merchant
2/6/11 the Green Bay Packers win Super Bowl XLV
06-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Two Ideas:

Gem Collector - You fly about the island/s and have to find gems kind of like in Glyder but possibly with a certain time limit.

Transporter - Kind of like Gem Collector but you collect and move "cargo" from place to place.

They aren't spectacular ideas but I think they'd work pretty well. Wave Survival and Ring Racing sound good though.

Games Uncovered / Twitter / YouTube
We are looking for reviewers to write at Games Uncovered. PM me if you are interested!
06-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Take a look at Biplane some good ideas in this one.

I always thought this game was alot of fun.

I think this game would be fun but all you do is go in circles. I have suggested to this developer to make this more open playing field with the same game play and to maybe add other things to shoot at.

So take a look at both games for ideas.

06-06-2009, 12:05 PM
Just had an idea:
culd you make an option in the game so that you get Unreal Tornament sounds like:
-Double Kill

That wuld be funny
06-06-2009, 03:47 PM
There will be a deathmatch mode won't there? Something where you can set the kill limit or time limit and just play a quick game. Very similar to the original with more options.

As for mini games, I like the ones that have been suggested. Maybe a seek and destroy where an object is hidden randomly in the area and you have to go destroy it.

You had discussed multiplayer way back when 3.0 was revealed. Do you still have plans to include that?