Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 09-04-2012, 06:59 AM

Thanks Trelloskilos,

And congratulations with completing the game. Did you manage to work it out yourself or did you have to peek around the internet? No spoilers

We're blown away by the response we've had, and as long as people want to see it, we're going to continue building The Curse into the future. Can't reveal too much - as it's still early days - but you guys will be the first to know when we have any news to report.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:57 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

So is puzzle 21 impossible to solve? I'm on it now but I'll skip it if it's not solvable. Anyone?
Old 09-04-2012, 12:33 PM

It's possible, but several squares can seem ambiguous and the time limit is pretty tight. I didn't have as much trouble with it as some people, but it still took me longer than any of the puzzles before it.

I solved the final puzzle a couple days ago. Some parts were quite cleverly hidden, but thankfully none of them required actually re-completing a particularly difficult puzzle (except the final clue, which was pretty obvious anyway).
Old 09-07-2012, 05:57 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen)

Default Game Impressions

Wow, what a great game! Some of the puzzles were a bit beyond me, so being a programmer, I thought what a great opportunity to try to solve some of them programmatically. Certainly good practice.

Here is one of the programs, written in the Scala programming language to solve the sliding block puzzles: http://pastie.org/4680147 (I hope that's okay to post, there are no spoilers there, since you would need to work out how to run it!). I found doing this quite challenging, but it was good fun. Code is a bit hacky, but it works nicely, finding the solution of each in just a few seconds.

The one where you had to add things up to 34 was maddening, so I gave up doing it normally. I wrote a program to test all permutations, and then realised there was 14 factorial (87 billion) combinations! So that inspired me to use a genetic algorithm approach instead. For that one, I created a "gene" that represented one combination, did some breeding with each child individual getting random mutations of the gene inherited from it's parent (in this case swapping two numbers from random positions), and then added a selection pressure using the sum of differences of each line (nearer zero = more fit), and lastly culled the least fit. Rather than test the 87 billion combinations, my program converged on the answer in less than 300 generations! I'm sure it was easier to solve than that, but I had great fun doing it. Generic algorithms are cool

Using various programs I am now up to 80 complete! I might have to cheat on the riddles though, I've only got 3 so far, and I can't write a program for those! (well, apart from the caesar cipher, but I solved that)

Anyway, this was just to say thanks, and to show you the creativity you have inspired to solve your puzzles!

By the way, the game seems to seriously burn through my battery like nothing else, and my iPod 4g gets quite hot. Is that something that could possibly be fixed in an update?
Old 09-07-2012, 08:24 PM

That. Is. So. Awesome! I'm totally passing this around the office I'd consider that a pretty hardcore way to figure out the puzzles to build out programs like that yourself. Of course, ONE person isn't impressed at all. Then again, he isn't impressed by anyone... here is what he had to say:

Old 09-08-2012, 05:15 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen)

Wow! Thanks for passing on the message. I've never got a reply from a computer game character before...

Mannequin: Yep, I *really* don't like ants...
I bet you're worried now, as I'll have you closed back up soon. You hide it well, but your insults only make me more determined!
[that is such an interesting game mechanic btw - I have not come across it before]
Old 09-08-2012, 10:55 AM

Would you mind emailing me at Community(at)ToyStudio.com? I would love to know more about this so we can post this on the news and blog sections to our website!
Old 09-09-2012, 03:54 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Riddles ain't my forte
Old 09-11-2012, 07:19 AM

Hey kzwen, hang in there!

If you're having a hard time with a specific riddle, then take a rest and come back to it later. We know a lot of people who have got stuck on a specific puzzle (somtimes for hours), and then returned to it with a fresh mind and solved it first time.

The brain has a weird way of working. We have good days and bad days

Also, when it comes to the riddles, sometimes you need to think 'outside the box'.

karadoc - your post was great. I passed your message onto Andy, coder of The Curse, and he smiled. Good to see the game inspiring people in different ways!
Old 09-14-2012, 04:49 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

The new app icon is much better. No doubt Mannequin will be pleased.