★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Shockwave daily jigsaw is out

06-06-2009, 07:35 AM
Shockwave daily jigsaw is out

Shockwave has released their daily jigsaw puzzle for the iphone/itouch. http://www.shockwave.com/iphone.jsp
The blurb from their site:

New Shockwave Daily Jigsaw To-Go for the iPhone and iTouch

Introducing Shockwave Daily Jigsaw To-Go, the app that puts your favorite online jigsaws in your iPod or iTouch. Daily Jigsaw To-Go comes with over 90 ready-to-solve puzzles the day you download it. Plus, you get a new Daily Jigsaw each day, straight from the Shockwave.com website!

Get a new puzzle every day!
Pre-loaded with 90 puzzles
Create jigsaws with your iPhone photos
You control the difficulty choose from 3 levels

I think I'll give this one a try, I do the puzzles on their site. It is priced at $4.99. I'll post some thoughts later.

Check out my photoblog wolfhuntphotos.deviantart.com
06-06-2009, 08:53 AM
Begged and begged the devs of other jigsaws to implement EDGES (display only EDGE pieces) like all the Japanese jigsaw puzzles have on the Nintendo DS. And they said yeah yeah yeah whatever basically. Well this one has EDGES so this might be the best one on the iPhone.

edit:
Ok found another one so take your pick. Jigsaw Art Premium has EDGES and four different shapes to choose from and is also $5.

Last edited by mrbass; 06-06-2009 at 09:00 AM.

06-06-2009, 09:33 AM
So after playing this one for a bit I really like it. Here's what I found:

The game comes loaded with about 90 puzzles. It basically is preloaded with the puzzles from Jan. to March 2009. To download new puzzles it has a calander and you simply select the date you want and tap 'Play Jigsaw' or you can tap 'download all' and grab the entire month at once. When you tap on a day it will preview that puzzle in a little window. Each day will also be marked a downloaded, in progress, or complete so you can remember what puzzles you've done.

Doing the puzzles is not too bad. I was a bit worried about the size of the itouch screen being a problem. Simply tap on a piece and drag it to where you want. If you have rotate on, double tapping will rotate the piece. When a piece is pretty close to one it fits with they will lock together and then move together. The space you have to work on is actually larger than the screen. By tapping and dragging on an area where there is no piece you can move the work area around.

Each puzzle had 3 levels. On level 1, the puzzle has about 20 pieces, level 2 about 50 pieces, level 3 around 70+ pieces (a guess, it was a bit hard to count them ).

Each puzzle also has the option to turn rotate on/off, select only edges, change backround (workspace) color, mix (start over), solve, and preview. Each puzzle also has a timer if you want to challenge yourself. It also save your time for each level as a high score.

The menu bar on the work screen can also be hidden to give you a clear view of the area.

The game saves the puzzles in progress, allowing your to go from puzzle to puzzle. I'm not sure how many it will save at once but the way I understand the calander you can save a bunch at once.

It also has a jigsaw creator that will allow you to create puzzles from any picture in your photo folder on the itouch. (As if getting a new one every day wasn't enough )

All in all, I think it's well worth the $4.99 price if you like jigsaws.

Check out my photoblog wolfhuntphotos.deviantart.com
06-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Send a message via ICQ to Frant
Both Shockwave Daily Jigsaw and Jigsaw Art Premium are unavailable in Russian App Store. What's wrong with developers?

Guess what people do when they want a game and cannot buy it legally? Right, they downloading it from "test it and buy it" sites.

Last edited by Frant; 06-06-2009 at 09:45 AM.
06-06-2009, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhunt View Post
....or you can tap 'download all' and grab the entire month at once.
It also has a jigsaw creator that will allow you to create puzzles from any picture in your photo folder on the itouch. (As if getting a new one every day wasn't enough )
awesome think I might have to get this one. Thanks for the info on those two tidbits. Gonna add to snipe list first and see if it drops within a month or so. If not then I'll probably still end up buying it.
06-06-2009, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frant View Post
Both Shockwave Daily Jigsaw and Jigsaw Art Premium are unavailable in Russian App Store. What's wrong with developers?
They just became available. The Jigsaw Art at end of March. The Jigsawed Jigsaw Puzzle been out since November of last year and begging him and couple other ones I liked all to no avail for 'show edges only' feature.
06-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Send a message via ICQ to Frant
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbass View Post
They just became available. The Jigsaw Art at end of March. The Jigsawed Jigsaw Puzzle been out since November of last year and begging him and couple other ones I liked all to no avail for 'show edges only' feature.
but still, I can't buy it for some sellers' reason
normally new game becomes available in every country

I hate exceptions like these
06-06-2009, 10:10 AM
oh sorry read your comment wrong...thought you were addressing the edge "what wrong with developers"...yea that makes no sense they wouldn't be in Russian app store shame on them.
06-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Not in UK store either...
06-18-2009, 09:19 AM
Ok tried the Jigsaw Art free version only allows you one puzzle Mona Lisa but let's you choose all options and gives you the full experience. Has tons of gesture support.

The show only edges is the grey green arrows. You can tap a blue down arrow to hide like 5 or so pieces onto the bottom scroll area if you wish and do it multiple times. Vice versa for the red up arrow. Has zoom in/out too either pinch or the + and - buttons.

I'm thinking of getting the $5 Jigsaw Art that has 100 artwork....probably be using my own photos from my own gallery anyway. The $3 one has 50 photos but from app description can't use own photos. Maybe I'll just snipe this one then.

It's either this or the Daily Jigsaw To-Go $5 from MTV Networks that I think I should get which also has show only edges feature.