★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: TaxiDrive

06-06-2009, 12:38 PM
TaxiDrive

TaxiDrive - $0.99

Has anyone tried this? Looks pretty interesting, the art style reminds me of Flight Control. Anyone wanna TOFTT?

Quote:
CAN YOU BEAT THE TRAFFIC OR WILL IT BEAT YOU?
No more washing dishes! The streets are paved with gold, so dive into the traffic of the big city jungle with your yellow cab and dominate the asphalt of the Big Apple.

BECOME ONE WITH THE RUSH HOUR!

TAXI DRIVE New York requires quick reactions. Pick up passengers and bring them to their destinations as the traffic gets thicker. If you know your patch of the city well, and can get your job done without accident, you will be provided with new vehicles...and these you will need, as sooner or later you are bound to have your first accident.

YOU THINK YOU KNOW YOUR PATCH LIKE YOU KNOW THE BACK OF YOUR HAND...

...then grab a license for the next district and venture from Central Park, over Midtown to the East Side. The exchange issues you with your next license once you have made enough money and proved that you have mastered your job. But beware: The streets just keep getting hotter!

FEATURES
- very intuitive game play with touch screen controls
- entertaining play requires fast reactions that keep you coming back for more
- three unlockable maps with variedly demanding challenges
- earn more taxis to extend game time (lives)
- dynamic level of difficulty for each map
- highscore list
- tutorial

COMING SOON!
With the next update you will be able to further prove your driving talent with additional district maps from our crash test laboratory to give you a fresh challenge and new rewards.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Playing: FIFA 12 Monster Island Quarrel Deluxe FIFA Superstars Fix-It-Up
Waiting For: Trenches 2, Ultra Kid, Car Jack Streets 2, Star Command
Plus+, Game Center, Open Feint, Crystal, Gameloft Live: jecebn
06-06-2009, 12:57 PM
this looks really good, i am about to pick up a gift card. maybe after ill toftt

06-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Why does this look almost exactly like Flight Control? Sheer coincidence?
06-06-2009, 01:07 PM
Looks interesting. I'm TOFTT. Downloading..................

I'M ON A MAC MOTHAF*@%!

Cloudcell, Plus+, Baseball Slugger, TTR: dannys95
06-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Looks kind of like a faster version of Flight control with a slightly different concept. I'm awaiting Danny's thoughts, it looks pretty good to me.

Games Uncovered / Twitter / YouTube
We are looking for reviewers to write at Games Uncovered. PM me if you are interested!
06-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Before I post impressions, thought I would point out something hilarious. If you tap the girl, the stats page come up. But what happens is the sound fx of a car braking or crashing plays because her top.........well..........:

I found it hilarious.

Anyways, impressions. The game is indeed like Flight Control. You are the taxi driver, and you must pick-up and drive your customer though the busy and crowded streets of New York. One thing I should point out is that there IS instructions. When you tap on the menu, just tap "Driving School". Anyways, Level 1 "Central Park" is where you begin. It starts off easy but turns pretty hard as you progress. If you crash, you die. But as you get more money, you get a new taxi (a.k.a a life). So if you crash you can continue. You must get enough money to unlock the next level (you need $300 to unlock level 2 (Midtown) and $500 to unlock level 3).

I've only unlocked the second map but it seems pretty different. It has more roads for you to go though but it also is harder / has more other cars in the freaking way:

I'd give it the thumbs up. So far it's running smoothly and it's fun. The only "warning" I thought I should point out is something I saw in the description. It's $1 introductory price....................and an update will add new levels supposedly.........but it appears different cities will be added in new apps not updates. Still, at $1 it's good.

Oh forgot to mention controls. You can either tap little by little or just tap where the taxi is supposed to go and it will auto-plot it. I do little by little so I don't crash.

I'M ON A MAC MOTHAF*@%!

Cloudcell, Plus+, Baseball Slugger, TTR: dannys95

Last edited by dannys95; 06-06-2009 at 01:29 PM.
06-06-2009, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the impressions Danny. After reading that I just picked this.

Games Uncovered / Twitter / YouTube
We are looking for reviewers to write at Games Uncovered. PM me if you are interested!
06-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Seems a bit like pacman to me...might just have to give it a go!

Games I'm Playing: Jetpack Joyride, Infinity Blade 2, Batman, COD
Waiting For: Thunderbeam, Lostwinds, GTA3, Sonic CD
06-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Looks fun, but can anyone confirm it's not compatible with 1st gen Ipod Touch?

Playing: Solipskier, Edge, Ground Effect, Bobble Surfer, Minigore, 2012 Zombies vs Aliens, iSR, Pocket God, Slotz, Zen Bound 2, Crazy Snowboard, Vector Tank, ...
06-06-2009, 02:31 PM
Caution

This game entirely lacks the elegant, fluid, and intuitive controls that Flight Control provides. If you want to buy it because you think it might be a good game in its own right, go for it; just don't buy it with the expectation that it will be, "Flight Control with cars", because it's not.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL