Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-26-2012, 02:36 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abisco View Post
Its a modern day RPG, with some extremely cool elements. The story in particular is stellar and the combat (when the game was on the DS at least) was extremely deep and fun. Basically it is many peoples favourite DS game of all time. Check out the reviews on IGN/Gamespot/Gametrailers
Thanks for the description
It does sound cool
The reason why I've never heard of it is because
I've never had a DS so I'm not aware of the catalog of many games
I have bought for my IOS device many Square Enix games so I'm slowly learning
Thanks for the review link too
Old 08-26-2012, 02:36 PM
iPhone 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
Maybe I didn't follow everything properly but wasn't the "hype" built entirely in the imagination of TWEWY fans? I mean, Squeenix's involvement from what I saw really only amounted to a countdown and some other vague teaser stuff.
The iOS version info leaked out a few days ago and one of the US translators tweeted: " “Before everyone decides the #twewy countdown is over, they might want to wait for the countdown to be over. #moredripthanleak”"

Renewed the hype, but it still ended up a port in the end.

And shouldn't a countdown usually hint at more than a port? Every time a countdown has been simply a port (such as with Baldur's Gate) fans have gone ballistic.

I mean, I think the port is great and I will most likely get it, but I understand the reasons to get upset. 1. Bias towards idevice 2. On a system twewy fans dont necessarily have or use (not on DS or 3ds) 3. drastic change in combat system. For better or worse, whenever the combat system is changed in a remake FANS WILL GET UPSET. 4. hints of more than a port (even with nice new graphics, it's still a port) 5. countdown

And 5 years is a lot of time to wait for a sequel. But if this is popular, who knows it may renew interest.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:38 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
The battle system is what kept many people (including me) from enjoying the game. Now I'm really looking to this hitting the US.
What's left of the game if you change the combat though? :S Might aswell stick with FF or some other RPG game then. Like asking to remove Guns from Call of Duty. NOTE: Im not hating or bashing you for not liking the combat system in the game.

Also i'd like to add, i have one good thing and one bad thing to worry about with this release.

The good one: If enough people buy it on the iOS, maybe it gets the attention it needs for a true sequel.
The bad one: If it gets good sales on the iOS, they might A: Stick with having the next game be on the iOS aswell, or B: the sequel gets released on the 3DS, but with the 2 screen combat removed.

Last edited by AceWizard; 08-26-2012 at 02:41 PM..
Old 08-26-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceWizard View Post
And yet its been hinted at that there is one coming, with the appearence of characters in the KH game.

Anyway, what im worried about the most is the combat. It needs the precision of the Stylus to play well, having a big finger blocking the screen where the combat happens wont do.
"Hinted" is not the same as "announced."

Quote:
You are right -- just checked again. It sold about 180,00 in the rest of the world. Still, it's nowhere near the top 50 best selling DS titles an compared to the big guns, it was more of a cult hit than anything else. There is a reason why SE has not even considered a sequel in 5 years.
It's definitely a cult hit, but with recent Nomura interviews, the cameo of characters in Kingdom Hearts 3D, a countdown in the site and a SE employee tweeting "guys, wait for the countdown, there's more to it!" after the leak that it was a iOS port, it certainly wasn't unreasonable of fans to expect the announcement of a sequel.

I really liked the ds version.
The story was great and the battling was fun. I did feel that that
use of the two screens was fine , but it felt a little strange still.

I think having both characters fight on one screen still looks great.
I love the art style.

Oh, bye the way, you can buy a nice stylus if you want to play that way.
No problem!

Last edited by gemineye62; 08-26-2012 at 02:42 PM..
Old 08-26-2012, 02:40 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightRooks View Post
RPG for the Nintendo DS with a modern-day setting loosely based on the trendy Shibuya district in Tokyo. Hero wakes up having lost his memory with a strange countdown embedded in his hand. He finds out he's been roped into a mysterious game where he and a partner have to wander round Tokyo solving the riddles set by the people in charge before the timer runs out, else they die. But there are other people the bosses have sent out to stop the players making it to the end, strange monsters on the streets, and the main character's memories start slowly coming back (as they usually do with Square Enix games ).

It had a whole lot of very clever, quite innovative gameplay systems, from the way you had to control two screens at once - the hero was on the touchscreen, his partner was on the top - to the way you could change the difficulty around any time you liked, to the way you got experience and levelled not just yourself but your gear up. There was a whole Pokemon-style subgame in there to do with collecting the weapons you used, you could wear what was "popular" in any part of the city to get extra bonuses (and I think manipulate what was popular?), there were tons of different outfits to collect, it used the DS WiFi to unlock extra features... some of this iOS devices can do straight up, obviously, but they've changed the game to make up for the things they can't handle (an iPhone doesn't have two screens, for one thing!).
Thanks for the great description!
Now I'm interested and will consider it after more discussion on this thread continues
Thanks again
Old 08-26-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
What's left of the game if you change the combat though? :S Might aswell stick with FF or some other RPG game then. Like asking to remove Guns from Call of Duty. NOTE: Im not hating or bashing you for not liking the combat system in the game.
That's silly. There's way more to the game than its combat system. In fact, the main reason I enjoyed so much was the story and soundtrack. Frankly, the dual screen combat did nothing for me, it was just there. It certainly has an impact from a narrative standpoint, and hopefully they can balance that even with one screen only.

Quote:

Also i'd like to add, i have one good thing and one bad thing to worry about with this release.

The good one: If enough people buy it on the iOS, maybe it gets the attention it needs for a true sequel.
The bad one: If it gets good sales on the iOS, they might A: Stick with having the next game be on the iOS aswell, or B: the sequel gets released on the 3DS, but with the 2 screen combat removed.
There's a great story, a great setting, cool art, great music, interesting characters, and so on. Frankly, the pin system was cool, too -- it was the frenetic quality of the combat that completely turned me off.

I am not hating on it: a lot of people dig it, and I'm not saying they are wrong. It just wasn't for me, even though I liked pretty much everything else.
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
"Hinted" is not the same as "announced."
Did i say it was? :S

Also, i might actually buy this anyway. IF The combat works good. I've already tried to play this on a DS with unaligned bottom screen, and it was a pain in the *** to even move the guy around. So precise controlls are a must for me if its gonna be worth it.

And sure zero, It had awesome story, music and the pin system is awesome. But i still find the uniqnuess of the combat to be the main factor of what drew people to this game ( i could be totally off here, but it seems to be the thing most of us discuss when on boards dedicated to this game) . The second part was probably the music. ^^

Last edited by AceWizard; 08-26-2012 at 02:46 PM..