★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
08-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlbum View Post
Ow..... Brain........ Hurts........ Heart....... Pounding..........

*THUD*

GGGHHGGGGAAAAASKKKKKK-

*dead*
Good luck in the Reaper's Game, buddy.
08-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshnsuch View Post
It looks like through a few different reviews of the game that people have been able to purchase it through iPod touch. I think. All of my browsing has been on my 4S or laptop.

MrAlbum's review seems.. Quite passionate, to say the least, heh.
Well, it is an awesome game! Even if I'm disappointed with Squenix's compatibility shenanigans, it's easily a top 10 hardcore game for the system as a whole. DS games translate over especially well because they were already made for touch.

Re: purchasing for Touch, they may have purchased from desktop and then been surprised when it wouldn't sync. I didn't think about that flow. Think the on-device app store would exclude it; I know my iPad's app store won't show the iPhone version.

I play lots of games, especially async ones. You can add me on GC: geoelectric

08-27-2012, 10:45 PM
Just so I understand it right:

Square Enix is actually breaking a Rule of Apple itself to don`t make the iPhone Version run on the iPad (First Gen) and also not on the iPod Touch(4th) and all it does need is some Modding of some Files to change that and make it work on those iDevice?

Please tell me I`m totally wrong because otherwise I'll go and request an refund from Apple right now because I will never ever support something as greedy as such behavior with my Money.
08-27-2012, 10:47 PM
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanuku View Post
Just so I understand it right:

Square Enix is actually breaking a Rule of Apple itself to don`t make the iPhone Version run on the iPad (First Gen) and also not on the iPod Touch(4th) and all it does need is some Modding of some Files to change that and make it work on those iDevice?

Please tell me I`m totally wrong because otherwise I'll go and request an refund from Apple right now because I will never ever support something as greedy as such behavior with my Money.
The iPhone version will not work on any iPad ( 1,2 or new iPad ) I was fine with it but after thinking about it, that's really low from Square Enix

Edit: try installing the iPhone version on your iPad see what happens!!!

Last edited by shero89; 08-27-2012 at 10:52 PM.
08-27-2012, 11:02 PM
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanuku View Post
Just so I understand it right:

Square Enix is actually breaking a Rule of Apple itself to don`t make the iPhone Version run on the iPad (First Gen) and also not on the iPod Touch(4th) and all it does need is some Modding of some Files to change that and make it work on those iDevice?

Please tell me I`m totally wrong because otherwise I'll go and request an refund from Apple right now because I will never ever support something as greedy as such behavior with my Money.
Edit: I just checked the app manifest I posted about and it only lists Arm v7 and the gyroscope, not the flash. If it is rejecting based on flash (and a number of posts confirm that) it seems like it must be internal behavior.

Re-edit: in a fit of not-very-bright, I was looking at the iPad version. Seems likely the iPhone manifest is indeed specifying that it needs a flash. I have no idea if just modding that plus the compatible device version would let you install on iPad. Might.

I play lots of games, especially async ones. You can add me on GC: geoelectric

Last edited by geoelectric; 08-27-2012 at 11:21 PM.
08-27-2012, 11:03 PM
The main issue, in my mind is the apparent violation of the compatibility mode clause of the Dev License Agreement for no apparent good reason. The iPhone version will NOT install on iPad 2 or 3 due to the iPad lacking a camera flash. The camera flash is not used for any purpose in game. The motivation is clear.

As far as the iTouch/iPad 1 lockout, that at least could be defended on performance grounds and apparently is permitted under the agreement.
08-27-2012, 11:05 PM
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoelectric View Post
Here's my understanding:

There's a manifest that's part of the app package that declares what hardware capabilities the app needs. They appear to have set it to need a camera flash, which keeps it from appearing on the App Store for a number of devices.

See here: http://developer.apple.com/library/i...Resources.html

They may or may not also be checking for a camera flash inside the app itself, so it may not just be a matter of modding the package. I don't know that anyone has tried.

The passage from the developer license I posted before seems to say they can't do this unless they actually need the camera flash, and even then I think they're only supposed to disable that one feature. As far as I know, there's no picture capability in TWEWY at all.

Charitably, this could be a bug. Realistically, it's probably a grab and is bad faith.

Let us know how the refund goes. I suspect a number of people will be curious.
You don't need the camera or flash to play the game so is this considered a violation to Apple policies ?
08-27-2012, 11:06 PM
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by shero89 View Post
You don't need the camera or flash to play the game so is this considered a violation to Apple policies ?
Yeah. Look at my post a couple of pages back. Upshot is that you can only disable functionality that actually needs a device feature not present. Otherwise you have to maintain compatibility.

I'm unzipping the .ipa now to look at the manifest. I'll edit when I've checked it out.

Edit: manifest does not specify flash. If it's rejecting based on that (and I've seen a number of posts confirming it is) I think it may be checking internally.

Edit-again: Flip flop/flip flop. I was looking at the iPad .ipa. The iPhone .ipa may indeed require the camera flash.

I play lots of games, especially async ones. You can add me on GC: geoelectric

Last edited by geoelectric; 08-27-2012 at 11:27 PM.
08-27-2012, 11:07 PM
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,013
But isn't there a review process before Apple accepts any application ? so I'm sure they know about this and yet they let it slide without a problem !!!
08-27-2012, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoelectric View Post
Well, it is an awesome game! Even if I'm disappointed with Squenix's compatibility shenanigans, it's easily a top 10 hardcore game for the system as a whole. DS games translate over especially well because they were already made for touch.

Re: purchasing for Touch, they may have purchased from desktop and then been surprised when it wouldn't sync. I didn't think about that flow. Think the on-device app store would exclude it; I know my iPad's app store won't show the iPhone version.
I can double confirm for the whole can't purchase directly from device thing. I actually did test it when it came out at 8:00pm. PST and it seems to be the case. Also, I wanted to purchase it, but I can't, obviously. I do wonder why Square-Enix's reason for restricting the devices so heavily, though...