Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-28-2012, 12:46 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoelectric View Post
To my knowledge, this forum's for any conversation specific to the game, save the exceptions in the forum rules. General is for conversation not specific to a particular game.

If a mod tells me otherwise, I'll be happy to start a new thread. At any rate, I've pointed out the issue and said my piece, but my understanding of what goes where doesn't match yours.
You're absolutely right.

However if you want to start a thread about devs purposefully restricting games, like TWENY or Catan, you're more than welcome too.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:48 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
While there's no hard and fast rule about this, it's becoming increasingly clear that this thread has gone off the rails. There is VERY little about actual gameplay here, and if someone were to want to find it, they would have to sort through a lot of at best tangentially related comments to get it. I think that further comments about iPad lockout issues would be better off in a dedicated thread in the general comments section.
Thanks for the clarification. It's not my intention to derail the thread or make anyone upset.

I've created a General thread here. I encourage anyone who was talking on this subject to go there.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...35#post2408535

Last edited by geoelectric; 08-28-2012 at 12:52 PM..
Old 08-28-2012, 01:21 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoelectric View Post
All of you complaining that there's a compatibility discussion are missing the point.

One of the reasons why an iPad is worth the money if you already have an iPhone is that you can reuse iPhone apps on it. That's especially true with the iPad 3, which has the equivalent of RetinaPad built in, so iPhone Retina apps display very clearly.

It's true that in many cases you'll buy an iPad (or universal) version specifically because it works or looks *better*, but the sales pitch and, importantly, Apple's rules for developers makes sure that's a choice and not a requirement.

Square-Enix has broken that compatibility here, and it seems unlikely for it to be an error. This is ripping us off as surely as an IAP paywall on a $5 game, and is just as shady as the company that stole all of Torchlight's assets to make their MMO. In fact, it's shadier than the last one because rather than copying something from one person/company, it's taking functionality from all of us.

And that's worth money, because many of us bought the iPad version instead or in addition to the iPhone version because that compatibility wasn't there. I did, for example, which is why I was outraged when I realized they broke the terms of their developer agreement to make that situation happen.

When a game rips us off like that, discussion about the ripoff is appropriate. It's appropriate regarding IAP, and it's appropriate regarding asset copying, and it's appropriate in this case. The talk of modding has been entirely centered around getting the functionality back that Apple has promised and that, in fact, we've paid for.

For those who feel inconvenienced by that being there for the last several (five or six by my count, not thirty) pages, my apologies. I like the game very much too, and I don't feel at all inconvenienced by your strategy discussion. I was hoping you might find they could co-exist.

But if we've somehow made you feel uncomfortable that we're ripped off, I'm not sorry for that. We just want Square-Enix to play by the rules that were assumed when we dropped hundreds of dollars buying these devices. If you're uncomfortable because they haven't, then that's pretty appropriate too.
PS1 games doesn't work on my PS3, my SNES cartridges won't fit in my Gamecube, etc. etc. They are all so shady and evil!
They didn't take away anything of you, because you hadn't it in the first place. Flawed logic is flawed. It's their product, and if you feel ofended, that's not their problem... seriously...
Btw, Apple is the devil, Siri works flawlessly on iPhone 4, and iOS 6 won't be coming to my iPod/iPad, and will be crippled in some devices, definitely the incarnation of the devil.

Last edited by ednan; 08-28-2012 at 01:24 PM..
Old 08-28-2012, 01:40 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ednan View Post
PS1 games doesn't work on my PS3, my SNES cartridges won't fit in my Gamecube, etc. etc. They are all so shady and evil!
They didn't take away anything of you, because you hadn't it in the first place. Flawed logic is flawed. It's their product, and if you feel ofended, that's not their problem... seriously...
Btw, Apple is the devil, Siri works flawlessly on iPhone 4, and iOS 6 won't be coming to my iPod/iPad, and will be crippled in some devices, definitely the incarnation of the devil.
Snark adds very little to the discussion, no matter how satisfying it may be xD

I'm getting drawn further and further into this game every day I play it. It FEELS like it was supposed to be released for iOS first, for some reason! It turned me into a sparkly-eyed fanboy over the course of a single day, which is something that has NEVER happened before for iOS. I am simply blinded by the game's awesomeness @_@

Also, I seem to be picking up references to Japanese mythology from the enemy designs. If that's the case, then the noise could be the modern equivalent of Japanese tengu, with the characters acting as the modern-day shamans/monks trying to "keep the balance", whether or not the characters see things that way.

It's just a thought, and there are flaws in the logic, but I find the analogue interesting to me ^_^
Old 08-28-2012, 01:40 PM
iPad Air, iOS 8.x

Actually I think compatibility issues are an important factor when someone is evaluating whether to buy a game. Which is why they would read a thread like this. It's sad that they may have drowned out discussions of gameplay (which appears to be excellent), but that's not OUR fault.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:41 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

damn 2 days later and this convo still going on? wheres my get over it jpeg?
Old 08-28-2012, 01:45 PM
iPad Air, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by panama chief View Post
damn 2 days later and this convo still going on? wheres my get over it jpeg?
Old 08-28-2012, 02:09 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

I watched Sanuku's videos, this game seems to be filled with dialog! I'm concerned that dialog takes up more of the game than actual gameplay itself. How much of the game is actually combat?
Old 08-28-2012, 02:11 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by TicTac View Post
I watched Sanuku's videos, this game seems to be filled with dialog! I'm concerned that dialog takes up more of the game than actual gameplay itself. How much of the game is actually combat?
Quite a bit. When you get to a combat area and scan, there are a bunch of little icons floating around that start battles. You can play through a ton of them before actually leaving the area and starting another story segment.

The beginning of the game is just particularly dialog-heavy because it's setting stuff up, and it hasn't taught you combat yet. Once combat is in full swing, it balances well.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:15 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by TicTac View Post
Wow!
A JRPG with a story and a ton of dialog?! How they dare?!
Yes TWEWY is a fine JRPG with a wonderful story and ton of dialog, if you want only combat IB2 cost less