★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

What's with the largely varied filesizes in iOS games?

08-26-2012, 10:25 PM
#1
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Oh. Hi.
Posts: 134
What's with the largely varied filesizes in iOS games?

Why are some games significantly higher in filesizes then previous releases on other devices?
I understand that they may use different compression methods, or have remade music. But I just can't understand the huge differences.

For example; (checking filesizes from various...unreputable sites I will not mention here.)

Chrono Trigger:
SNES 4mb
DS 53mb
PSP (PSN) 279mb
iOS 630mb

or a recent release;
TWEWY
DS 67mb
iOS 600mb (packed, I've yet to purchase so I'm unaware of the uncompressed size.)

or, the most ridiculous one;
Puzzle Quest 2;
DS 21mb
iOS 1.4gb
08-26-2012, 10:33 PM
#2
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,661
Its a developer thing. Ask them.
Optimizing and such.

08-26-2012, 11:13 PM
#3
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,929
Some have uncompressed music.. I prefer smaller filesize. =P

Shmup Fan? Join our group - Bullet Hell Fanatics
Looking for Cave game recommendations? Check out starting ~half way down this link: Your favorite Shmup from Cave? Which is your favorite Game from Cave?
08-26-2012, 11:15 PM
#4
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Oh. Hi.
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by tops2 View Post
Some have uncompressed music.. I prefer smaller filesize. =P
Yea, I was just talking to a friend about this problem, and he told me to google it about Chrono Trigger.
First thing I found was a link to the comments here at TA on the article about CT's release.
Apparently the game, is about 21mb, the rest is remade music in FLAC/Apple's Lossless Format making about the other 600mb.
Ridiculous.
I wonder if it's possible to just replace those files with mp3s and reduce the filesize to under 100mb.
Wouldn't be hard to do, seeing as i'm JBed and use iFile.
08-26-2012, 11:18 PM
#5
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: The red Skittle
Posts: 5,768
You're comparing resolutions of the DS (320x240) and the resolution of a Retina iPhone screen (960x640). In the case of universal apps, ADD to that the normal iPad resolution (1024x768) and now Retina iPad displays too (2048x1536). That's three sets of resolutions, each one taking a whole lot more space than the previous one.

Then there are the music files - the iOS versions are likely to have higher quality sound which would bump up the file sizes quite exponentially.

That's already a not insignificant difference in size right there, and I'm not mentioning the various tweaks. I would say it's largely to the fact that they have to support so many generations of iThings simultaneously in one file.



Need professional proofreading, editing or writing that won't break your budget?
Contact me at youarelowonhealth.com or via PM.
08-27-2012, 02:36 PM
#6
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Brazil
Posts: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkus View Post
or a recent release;
TWEWY
DS 67mb
iOS 600mb (packed, I've yet to purchase so I'm unaware of the uncompressed size.)
Here ya go:


GameCenter: *kioshi*
Gameloft: kioshi
08-27-2012, 03:42 PM
#7
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Oh. Hi.
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by kioshi View Post
Here ya go:

...Holy crap.
Point proven...?
08-27-2012, 05:39 PM
#8
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 5,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoseven View Post
You're comparing resolutions of the DS (320x240) and the resolution of a Retina iPhone screen (960x640). In the case of universal apps, ADD to that the normal iPad resolution (1024x768) and now Retina iPad displays too (2048x1536). That's three sets of resolutions, each one taking a whole lot more space than the previous one.

Then there are the music files - the iOS versions are likely to have higher quality sound which would bump up the file sizes quite exponentially.

That's already a not insignificant difference in size right there, and I'm not mentioning the various tweaks. I would say it's largely to the fact that they have to support so many generations of iThings simultaneously in one file.
...and, soon we should have an iphone with a 4 inch screen and an ipad with a 7 incher. I don't think I'm alone in thinking a microSD slot should be next. (I know, won't happen).

Between the wonkieness of the appstore, the utter fail that is iTunes running on Win7 64 bit, the ever present danger that connecting my phone to my computer could result in a complete data wipe, mysterious vanishing apps, and updates which are, in fact, downdates, I figure I'll be forced to jailbreak sooner or later.

I'm leery though of allowing mysterious coders root access to not just a handheld game console, but my primary phone/email device/communication device.

Plus, I don't trust that a jailbreak DL won't be virus/rootkit/trojan free (PC virus, not ios).

Last edited by Greyskull; 08-28-2012 at 07:59 AM.
08-27-2012, 09:22 PM
#9
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Brazil
Posts: 880
If the reason is use of FLAC music, it's beyond ridiculous.
I can certainly see why a game like Infinity Blade has 1 gig and such, but the other ones... The sound is the most plausible explanation. Puzzle Quest 2 was out before the new iPad.
And it's not like games NEED to use FLAC. Look at the game people say it has the best music on iOS, Superbrothers Sword and Sorcery, the file size is 160 mb (more uncompressed I know but can't check right now) and it has a ton of awesome music, I doubt it uses FLAC or it'd be a 4 gig game.

GameCenter: *kioshi*
Gameloft: kioshi
08-28-2012, 01:32 AM
#10
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Oh. Hi.
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by kioshi View Post
If the reason is use of FLAC music, it's beyond ridiculous.
I can certainly see why a game like Infinity Blade has 1 gig and such, but the other ones... The sound is the most plausible explanation. Puzzle Quest 2 was out before the new iPad.
And it's not like games NEED to use FLAC. Look at the game people say it has the best music on iOS, Superbrothers Sword and Sorcery, the file size is 160 mb (more uncompressed I know but can't check right now) and it has a ton of awesome music, I doubt it uses FLAC or it'd be a 4 gig game.
Yeah, this is what blows my mind.
I get that FLAC is the highest quality of music "compression". But human ears are NOT that sensitive to be able to detect the subtle differences easily.
It's just not necessary, especially with the after effects of it are massively bloated filesizes.
It's understandable in IB/Horn, or most other Unreal engine games.
But it's what changed my mind to buy PQ2.
I bought PQ1 on impulse when it came out at first, and loved every moment of it.
PQ2 came out, I was excited, went to purchase and luckily noticed the filesize...So I asked my friend who had purchased it before me about the uncompressed size, and he spent a good half hour complaining about it.

Chrono Trigger's case is also ridiculous...30mb for the game, the other 600mb in music? That wasn't necessary. At all.
Also worth noting that the Secret of Mana port clocked in roughly 70mb.
That's much more like it.

TWEWY's case seems to be a bit different, I just poked around in the app files in the middle of typing this post.
Music seems to take about 160mb, Movies take about 242mb.
The huge chunk of space is consumed by a single file called "resources.assets" at 1.9gb.
I assume they had good reason for the bloat in this case. But I still wish more could've been done.
I had to dump Aralon, Shadow Era, and Trigger Fist for this beast...worth it though.