Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-05-2014, 06:27 PM

Finally solved the game for all regular and epilogue sequences, with "angelic" solutions for all strands wherever possible. To anyone who may be initially turned off or confused by the game, I encourage you to stick with it to give the game a chance to shine.

I, too, got quite discouraged early on in the game by the opaqueness of the game's goals and core mechanics. For example, the concept of the so-called "angelic" super-solutions was not explained at all in the game. I only stumbled upon it because I was able to solve some of the early sequence strands with fewer moves than what was given and wondered myself which other sequence strands in the game were solvable this way. I missed entirely the subtle icon at certain levels hinting that these levels were solvable this way.

The "angelic" solution indicator was critical because there were many such levels and the solutions in many of those levels were truly clever and showed off just how ingenious the puzzle design was in this game. Similarly, the four sequences in the epilogue (again, the game did not tell you this at all) were the only levels that truly leveraged the brilliance of the "binary tree" mechanics in the game.

Lastly, the developers were very wise in their restraint by limiting the number of the moves to the solutions, even in the most difficult levels. Because the shapes of the final "tree" are entirely arbitrary (aside from the symmetry imposed by the splitting mechanics), it is trivial to make a level that is near-impossible to solve by simply dragging strands around to make random connections and then splitting them many times to arrive at the final shapes. The nature of the game's mechanics make it a game that is trivial to generate overly complicated puzzles that are not fun to solve. Instead, the developer chose wisely to be "clever" with the puzzles so that the solutions often involved some neat tricks (such as rotating a strand around to insert it at an unusual place) which, once seen, would lead to the correct solutions quickly. The last two strands in Epilogue 4 sequence are good examples of this approach. It was immensely satisfying to solve those levels and then to admire the beauty of those puzzles that the developer had managed to craft.

Highly recommended.

Last edited by y2kmp3; 08-05-2014 at 07:04 PM..
Old 08-05-2014, 08:34 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

Really wish this one went universal... I loved it on my iPad, but I sold that, and haven't played this since. Even an iPhone only version would be great... the UI would be perfect for the small screen as well... =o/
Old 08-05-2014, 10:29 PM

I just looked at the App Store update. It appeared that this game has not been updated since its original release back in 2012. This is disappointing, as the game is truly an overlooked gem of a puzzle title. In fact, I bought this game back then when it was first released but gave up on playing it soon afterward because I felt I did not fully understand the game's rules to continue.

Last month, I decided to try the game again on a whim. I then found a post made by you and also by ColeDaddy about the game. Both posts were very helpful in convincing me to preservere through the game. Once I understood the basic core mechanics and interface, the game became much more enjoyable.

syntheticvoid, how far did you get in the game? Which puzzles did you manage to finish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post
Really wish this one went universal... I loved it on my iPad, but I sold that, and haven't played this since. Even an iPhone only version would be great... the UI would be perfect for the small screen as well... =o/