★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Tower of Souls

06-07-2009, 06:17 AM
Tower of Souls

Hey there, whilst browsing through todays games list i noticed one that caught my eye.

Tower of Souls

http://www.apptism.com/apps/tower-of-souls

The fusion of fantasy role-playing with the dynamic action of arcade gaming will compel you to live the adventure that is Tower of Souls.

Prophesy foretells that you, Treeac, are the last and only hope for the people of Chaybore.

The evil demon Baalhathrok has stolen the mythical Nydus C rystals and with them has opened a portal within his own dimension, linking the Spirit Reaper Tower to the land of Chaybore. Helpless to resist, great engines within the Tower suck the very life-force from the peaceful inhabitants of the land, gaining him power within both dimensions. Your quest is to enter the Tower of Souls, shut down the pumps and retrieve the Nydus C rystals, restoring the essence of Chaybore and allowing your fellow citizens to return to their harmonious ways.

Can you collect the seven Nydus C rystals and gain entry to the lair of Baalhathrok in the depths of the tower? Will you then be able to slay the evil demon and end his reign of terror?

Tower of Souls features:

v An innovative control system that combines spell casting, combat and object manipulation.

v 32 spells within 4 mystical categories; 5 strengths and 3 different ways to cast spells.

v Numerous different swords and items of equipment to utilize.

v 4 different types of amour ranging from basic leather to titanium plate.

v The Fortress of Izlar has 7 levels.

v Many hidden rooms to explore, puzzles to solve and skills to develop.

v A massive 125 map areas, in isometric projection.

v Bi-lingual: English or Deutsch.

Tower of Souls has the lastability and playability to be returned to again and again, NEVER being the same game twice. 

Can you fulfill the prophecy?

Player´s guide available in game.

Now this game i actually remember from about the mid 90s, so we're talking retro RPG time! In fact, I'm pretty certain this game quite enjoyable and challenging as well! As you can see from the screenshot its set out in 3d Isometric (Underworld ish) style and you have equipment screens as per standard rpg.

One novel feature i did remember is the ability to create your own potions via a sweet little alchemy lab with various plants you find lying around!

Is listed as .99 but in the UK store its twice that so am hesitant to TOFTT until i know tha genuine price.

Im pretty certain this was a fun game back in the day and only thru a corrupt game disk (good times!) did have have to stop playing it till the end. Its quite a challenge and im sure would last much longer than Underworlds, although visually we are talking over 10 years ago, but they're not bad.

Anyways, thought id share with ya, know some people like retro/rpg out there

Currently playing: Joe Dever's Lone Wolf and FM2014
06-07-2009, 08:15 AM
Am interested but I'm not going to decide to get it or not until I see a video of how it plays.

It's nice these retro games are coming out but bad controls can ruin it.

06-07-2009, 09:38 AM
I played this on my Axim a good few years ago, and from what I can remember it was really good, though obviously I can't say what this conversion is like.

Here's a review of the Pocket PC version.
06-07-2009, 10:00 AM
I was ready to purchase until I saw publisher clickgamer.com aka chillingo reject games. What am I supposed to think?

Helvetica will treat you good if you take time to understand her.
06-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Just downloaded and tried. Really wanted to like it but the controls, movement, inventory etc are truly horrible. Shame because the premise and options really look good. I hope they adress the controls.
06-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamian View Post
Just downloaded and tried. Really wanted to like it but the controls, movement, inventory etc are truly horrible. Shame because the premise and options really look good. I hope they adress the controls.
damnit, cheers for checkin it out tho.

was afraid they may mess up tha controls for this one, shouldnt have been too hard to do doh! hope they address that to then i'll fork out fer this.

Currently playing: Joe Dever's Lone Wolf and FM2014
06-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamian View Post
Same here, I TOFTT'd after hearing it was an Amiga classic but the controls make this port seriously unplayable. The content appears to be there but they've absolutely killed it behind a useless control scheme. Doesn't Apple do at least basic playtesting of these releases?
06-08-2009, 12:24 PM
This appears to have been pulled from the U.S. market (the link from the first post didn't work and it doesn't come up when searching). I tried this on a couple of different Pocket PC devices and it never really played to my satisfaction. I've only put a little time into it so far, but if you're looking for a good isometric RPG check out Underworlds. So far I've been pretty impressed, though I will admit the "touch to perform action" mechanism could be a bit more robust, especially when it comes to attacking creatures. I suppose if Tower Of Souls ever resurfaces in the U.S. I might give it a go, though.

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre
06-08-2009, 02:22 PM
It's been pulled in the UK too, so maybe they released an unfinished build. Hopefully it may come back in a playable form. To those who tried it - what exactly was wrong with the controls?
06-10-2009, 09:25 PM
Hi, new to the forums however this game was enough to make me register. =)

I played Tower of Souls on my Amiga 500 back in the day, and was very suprised by the familiarity of the game once I fired it up. I didn't buy it knowing that it was an Amiga game, I just thought the description alone was enough to justify the purchase.

I am very sorry now...

The control scheme was horrible. You had to move a tiny finger around and try and touch pinpoints to do anything in the game. They create a maginify type of area, however it was confusing as you were watching the magnified area, while moving the cursor, and ended up thinking you were moving the right finger... confused? Yes, so was I.

Now that it was pulled it is obvious that there was an issue. I remember the game on the Amiga, and the biggest problem then was it was a direct German port. So we now have a twice over port that was pulled from the shelves after folks paid for it.

How do I get a refund? And no, I do not expect one, but if anything in the hundred + games I have should illicit one, this mess of a release should.

Munkie!