★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Delay Quantum Collapse to include Skirmish mode?

View Poll Results: Delay Quantum Collapse to include Skirmish at Launch?
No, Release it now and update it for Skirmish within a week 26 46.43%
Yes, No skirmish mode at launch will give you bad reviews. 30 53.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll
06-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Delay Quantum Collapse to include Skirmish mode?

With the recent release of 2 other RTS games i noticed that lots of people complained about no Skirmish mode and for some that was a deal breaker.

I believe Quantum Collapse has great replay value even without Skirmishes since the missions are so ridiculously varied. Still, since day one i've been thoroughly looking at defects in Quantum Collapse trying to have none and avoid bad reviews.

I would like to submit Quantum Collapse to Apple tomorrow and keep working on Skirmish for an update that should be ready in about a week. But i'll leave this up to you guys.
06-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Release it as planned and immediately announce upcoming update for it.

06-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Yes, but then you will have a lot of people who will likely say, I'll wait for the update when skirmish is included. Then when the skirmish update comes out, those people may have moved on versus buying the game.

While it means a delay, I think you should include that mode. The next update will then just be bug fixes and such instead of including something some people will say it should have had from day one.
06-07-2009, 10:43 AM
i would wait and make skirmish mode cuz people will just be saying stuff like ill wait for update or would buy then give bad reviews

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but I'm gonna kick you repeatedly in the balls"
- Will Ferrell
06-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Release it now, and promise a skirmish mode asap. Maybe offer it at a slightly discounted price too, until the update. Then people will be encouraged to buy it early, to benefit from the free update. A similar strategy was very successful for iDracula

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." ~ Albert Einstein
06-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Maybe offer it at a slightly discounted price too, until the update. Then people will be encouraged to buy it early, to benefit from the free update. A similar strategy was very successful for iDracula
I think that might be the thing to do.

I mean it's a hard choice, piss off skirmish lovers or piss off people who expect to be playing the game very soon.
06-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDavalos View Post

I mean it's a hard choice, piss off skirmish lovers or piss off people who expect to be playing the game very soon.
That's true. But I think by releasing early and promising an update, you can get the support of both. No sensible skirmish-lover is not going to purchase the game just because they have to wait a week or two for their favorite feature to arrive. Just make it really clear in the app description that the update is on its way

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." ~ Albert Einstein
06-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDavalos View Post

Release it now and get the skirmish update out ASAP. I might just be speaking for myself, but I generally like to play through some of the campaign to get used to the different units, buildings, and controls before starting skirmishes/multiplayer battles anyway. I'm assuming that the campaign will slowly introduce units and buildings. That way, you don't have everything thrown at you from the start, thus overwhelming you.

I think the problem people have with the other RTS games and a lack skirmish modes is that the developers haven't even commented on whether or not they'll be coming or they have promised them (A LONG TIME AGO) and have yet to delivery. If you're seriously committed to putting in a skirmish mode, explain that in detail. Then start delivering updates quickly to build people's confidence. I'd say that among the people here at least, you've established yourself enough that we'll believe you that a skirmish mode is coming.

Just my opinion, though.
06-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by florbastang View Post
Release it now and get the skirmish update out ASAP. I might just be speaking for myself, but I generally like to play through some of the campaign to get used to the different units, buildings, and controls before starting skirmishes/multiplayer battles anyway. I'm assuming that the campaign will slowly introduce units and buildings. That way, you don't have everything thrown at you from the start, thus overwhelming you.

Yes, the game introduces units at a great pace and gives you plenty of instruction on how to use them.

Associate Editor, Slide To Play and Padvance
Follow me on Twitter
Feel free to email me at tim@slidetoplay.com if you want to bring a game or update to our attention.
06-07-2009, 11:38 AM
well i said wait. i mean skirmish is essential. but i would say yes then sumbmit it tomorrow with a discouted price so loads of people buy it then when u update it raise the price. an RTS game is kinda no way near as good without skirmish...