★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
08-31-2012, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanx View Post
I'm fine w the graphics, but why couldn't they at least give it the reskin like ff3? As it stands this is basically the same game as ff3 except with save points and purchasable fenix downs and ethers, Otherwise same game only far worse graphics for double the price and it's not even accessible right now.
In fairness, the DS version of FF3 was reworked quite a bit from the original; it wasn't just a reskin. I didn't mess with FF3 too much in its new incarnation, but I can say that FF5's system was leaps and bounds better than the one in FF3 in terms of gestalt-classing and variety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound16 View Post
Honestly, nostalgia is great and all, but I would much rather have had an up to date sequel of final fantasy tactics with a deep job system and beautiful art. The story got me piqued, but there's a reason this battle system and pixel graphics was used 15 years ago - it's out dated. I'm not going to buy the next chapters. Maybe I'll rather plunge on the world ends with you for my square enix fix.
FFT IS 15 years old. I guess another FFT would be cool, but it's had numerous sequels and imitators, and was itself heavily modeled after Tactics Ogre. Really, anything like that that doesn't substantially surpass the others like it is going to be a big failure and its a big risk. Also, I think the datedness of FF5 vs FFT is a bit arbitrary. Graphics, sure, but there isn't necessarily a linear progression within the series from simple to more convoluted as it is.

Anyway, I was liking this by the end of the Prologue. I'm still going to wait to see if they drop the prices though.

Last edited by smegly; 08-31-2012 at 06:01 PM.
08-31-2012, 06:26 PM
I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for a sale.
Using this pricing method seems like a way around having sales.
Unlock able content as IAP usually has no sales.

08-31-2012, 06:54 PM
The music in this is beautiful.
08-31-2012, 06:58 PM
So I just finished the free portion of this game, I personally liked it. I prefer the old 16 bit graphics over the new 3d stuff. The story seems to have some potential as well. The only thing I don't really like is that the levels are set per chapter, I would like to have the option to power level my characters and know that it will help me into the following chapters.
08-31-2012, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittspace View Post
iCloud save?
Nope, none that I've seen so far. Also, Square-Enix normally does not incorporate iCloud saves into their games.
08-31-2012, 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobunaga View Post
I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for a sale.
Using this pricing method seems like a way around having sales.
Unlock able content as IAP usually has no sales.
I'm not holding my breath, although considering the high price, I'm not sure that this will follow any established trend either, especially if sales aren't exactly spectacular.
08-31-2012, 07:48 PM
update out 1.0.1

bug in shop fixed now!
08-31-2012, 10:20 PM
I will reconsider playing this after all of your reviews. I hate to judge a potentially good game just off the graphics, but they should have put time to update the characters to justify the price.
08-31-2012, 11:28 PM
buying all dlc,is very good game.

retina,good music,good controls,good history.

loved final fantasy series!

Last edited by picoro; 08-31-2012 at 11:33 PM.
08-31-2012, 11:34 PM
Well, I went ahead and bought this after playing through and enjoying the prologue, however even though I am enjoying the game, I really don’t think a remake of an old java mobile phone game is worth $30 even if it is a Final Fantasy game. There’s just too many other great titles you could pick up for a fraction of the price. Bastion for example was recently released on iOS and that’s only $5 for an utterly beautiful game with high production values. This game uses assets from old FF games like FF4. Shame on you Square-Enix. I’d say go with TWEWY if you’re looking to sooth that SE itch.

Just to clarify, I am enjoying the game like I already mentioned. The story is interesting enough to keep me playing and I quite like the cast of characters, but I really just can't justify that $30 price. Not when there are other games available that have a much higher production value, that are full quality titles too and cost only a fraction of this game's price. You just HAVE to take that into consideration and SE don't seem to realise that. I feel a price of $9.99 would have been more appropriate for this title and at that price I feel more people would be willing to take the plunge and buy the game.

Member of the Beta Tester Alliance
Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/Nicodemus82

Last edited by nicodemus82; 09-01-2012 at 12:09 AM.