★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Spam and Ads seem to be increasing steadily

08-31-2012, 01:27 PM
#1
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 6,755
Spam and Ads seem to be increasing steadily

Is it just me, or do I see a ton more "click me to watch the Bourne legacy" or "click here to view iPod cases" posts than usual in general discussion and upcoming? I report all of these posts immediately, but it is getting pretty tiresome looking at them so often. I have a proposal: why not have a waiting period for new members, say, a week or so, before they can create new threads, or perhaps until they've posted a certain number of times? Possible that might help a little with all this spam. Just a suggestion
08-31-2012, 02:14 PM
#2
Joined: Feb 1983
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 1,268,711
It's just you, we've been under constant spam attack for close to a year now. They get deleted as fast as we can manage them. Placing restrictions on registrations is only going to harm how fast the TouchArcade forums run when it comes to posting new/useful/interesting games. I'd rather deal with spam than have a developer sitting on their hands for a week before they can post about their game.

08-31-2012, 04:05 PM
#3
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Flour Bluff
Posts: 1,738
I agree with Hodapp, we don't need a registration restrictions. They would just create other problems. But I do think that there may be a bigger underlying problem here and that would be that I am not able to do anything about it myself. Sure, "they get deleted as fast as we can manage them" but it takes a while sometimes. Now If I was doing it, people like JBRUU wouldn't even notice the spam. If the bat, yeah THE BAT, can become a MOD, and all those Spam Police can be appointed, then I should be able to become Editor-in-Chief of TA!
08-31-2012, 04:07 PM
#4
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 6,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureSkill View Post
I agree with Hodapp, we don't need a registration restrictions. They would just create other problems. But I do think that there may be a bigger underlying problem here and that would be that I am not able to do anything about it myself. Sure, "they get deleted as fast as we can manage them" but it takes a while sometimes. Now If I was doing it, people like JBRUU wouldn't even notice the spam. If the bat, yeah THE BAT, can become a MOD, and all those Spam Police can be appointed, then I should be able to become Editor-in-Chief of TA!
Biggest "wink wink nudge nudge" I've seem in a long time.

We already have a ton of Spam Police and mods, it's just some of them don't post often anymore.
08-31-2012, 04:25 PM
#5
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Flour Bluff
Posts: 1,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Biggest "wink wink nudge nudge" I've seem in a long time.

We already have a ton of Spam Police and mods, it's just some of them don't post often anymore.
Hahahaha, I am just messing with ya. I don't need those titles.
I was just suprised by all of the TA people who became some type of TA regulator.
You will become a Spam Police or MOD way before I am even considered.
I know Hodapp and TA will never make me anything except TA trash collector or something along those lines. Why? I don't exactly know why, but that is just how it is and I am ok with that.
08-31-2012, 08:41 PM
#6
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 6,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureSkill View Post
Hahahaha, I am just messing with ya. I don't need those titles.
I was just suprised by all of the TA people who became some type of TA regulator.
You will become a Spam Police or MOD way before I am even considered.
I know Hodapp and TA will never make me anything except TA trash collector or something along those lines. Why? I don't exactly know why, but that is just how it is and I am ok with that.
I haven't seen you much around the forums, so I wouldn't really know why. I'm sure there's a reason.

I don't have 10k posts or have been registered for years, so spam police or mod is a little out of the question. Anyway, my reason for making the thread was to suggest another way to fight spam. It's just annoying seeing it every time I go to TA. Well, I thought it (waiting times) was a brilliant idea at the time.
09-01-2012, 04:16 PM
#7
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 447
See spam. Don't click. Problem solved.
09-01-2012, 09:23 PM
#8
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepeos View Post
See spam. Don't click. Problem solved.
No, do click, then click report post
09-02-2012, 09:10 AM
#9
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 2,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Biggest "wink wink nudge nudge" I've seem in a long time.

We already have a ton of Spam Police and mods, it's just some of them don't post often anymore.
I have to agree with that. Ever since I joined the spam police I hardly post anymore... or well just a lot less then I used too

Add Me on Gamecenter/Steam: Fireball926
09-02-2012, 06:25 PM
#10
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 6,755
Why was Sanuku's post removed? That was funny...