Games Similar to Dungeon Raid?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Flipangle, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Flipangle

Flipangle Active Member

Apr 17, 2010
    I'm totally addicted to Dungeon Raid! I don't know what it is. I keep coming back and coming back. I play mostly on the iPad in 2X mode (blown up). While it doesn't look ugly, it's not pretty either. Was just wondering if there's any game out there made for the iPad that is similar or preferably better. Thanks!

2. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    There really isn't, unfortunately. Fireflame (the dev of Dungeon Raid) has been away with some personal issues in his life but he said he'd be back eventually to provide new updates, including a Retina display one.

3. Flipangle

Flipangle Active Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Thanks for the info. I can't wait for the update. Still working out the strategy for the awesome game.

4. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Dungeon Saga has an HD version. The gameplay is similar, but its more like individual turn based battles against the computer instead of endless. That's a crappy description. It's really pretty awesome and is only $0.99 so check it out.

5. Flipangle

Flipangle Active Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Will do!

6. Altaem

Altaem Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Silly question. Nothing could be as good as Dungeon Raid.

7. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Puzzle Quest (1&2) is somehow similar (different matching style, though).
    But Dungeon Raid is still the best.

8. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Nothing could beat Dungeon Raid, but there's another match-3 game that has unique elements: Pawn'd. You move the gems like you would in a chess game! It really adds challenge to it and it has 3 different game modes, definitely shouldn't be overlooked.

9. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    So Dungeon Raid is still the best in this genre?

10. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
  11. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Witch Wars is sort of live multiplayer Dungeon Raid, with greatly simplified skill choices and progression. If Bejeweled and Dungeon Raid had a love child, it would be Witch Wars.

Terribly vague description I know, but Witch Wars is free, so try it.

12. Aquarius

Aquarius Active Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Israel
  13. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Decided to take the plunge in the genre yesterday. Good thing D. Raid and Puzzle Quest 2 had free versions.

I loved PQ2's polish so I bought it after finishing the free part (like 30-40 minutes), but due to small icons and menus, I don't think I'll be playing this on my iPhone anymore, only the iPad.

Now Dungeon Raid, WOW. It looks crappy, it has no music, but I bought the paid version after playing for 10 minutes and have been playing it all day whenever I had a small break, perfect for the iPhone (btw I unlocked Paladin but he seems to always start at level 1 with no perks in a new game).

I also got the 0.99 Dungeon Saga and found it meh, only played the first dungeon tho.

14. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    I'd say Tower of Fortune is probably something that might also interest fans of DR. It's got that hard-to-put-down quality. Like DR, it's a very refreshing take on the Rogue-like.

15. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    I agree, it doesn't hold your attention all the time like DR, but you can play watching a movie since you only have to press the button, it's relaxing and at the same time you can play for 2 hours straight.

16. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #16 Vovin, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
    I can add BraveSmart to the list. It's free, has the mechanics and isn't bad so far. But it comes with several twists in gameplay. It's a Tiny Town / Dungeon Raid mix, looking at the gameplay elements.

On the other side, still nothing can beat Dungeon Raid in that genre.

Oh, and check out Adventurer Workshop. I don't understand why this hasn't been mentioned yet. Devs are very active and caring. This game is addicting.
    Very similar to Dungeon Raid and I love it!!
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=135009&highlight=workshop

17. GlenMcKnight

GlenMcKnight New Member

Apr 13, 2012
    Game Designer at Other Ocean Interactive
    Oakland, CA
    I want to join in by saying WarGames is the closest I have found to a game that matches Dungeon Raid. Its not endless, but the mechanics are clearer, and the upgrading is a lot of fun. I find the battles to be very intense. Dungeon Raid can be kinda a slog as there is no sense of progression, you just keep going till you cant.

18. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    #18 retr0spective, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
    Games Similar to Dungeon Raid?

I would like to find out if there are any more games similar in style or mechanics to Dungeon Raid. So far I know of Adventurer Workshop, Wargames, and 10000000. Are there any others that I should be aware of? Please contribute titles and I will add them to a list. ~Thanks

MATCH-3 RPGs

10000000 Review
    10 Talismans Thread
    4 Elements - Puzzledom Thread
    Adventurer Workshop Review
    Age of Puzzle Thread
    Ancient Wonderland Deluxe Thread
    Angel Salvation Review
    Azkend 1&2 Review
    Call of Atlantis
    Castlevania: Puzzle Review
    ChronoSgear Thread
    Crystal Soul Thread
    Dungeon Raid Review
    Dungeon Saga Thread
    Heroes of Kalevala
    Jewel Fighter
    Legend Four
    Paradise Quest
    Pawn'd
    Puzzle Craft
    Puzzle Quest 2
    Puzzlevania
    RPG Puzzle
    Sorcerer of Fortune
    Samurai Puzzle Battle
    WarGames: WOPR
    Witch Wars
    Wizschool

Other RPG-Hybrids

BraveSmart
    Dragon Town
    King Cashing
    Princess Punt
    Sword & Poker 1&2
    Tower of Fortune
    Triple Town

19. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Puzzle Craft uses the same mechanic, but rather than unlock new classes, you gather materials to build your town from a tiny village into a kingdom. Wonderfully done game (it actually has more staying power for me, personally, than dungeon raid). The developer has had some issues with a data loss bug (and the fix has created some problems for existing users) but as far as we know, people starting on the new version should be in the clear.

20. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    This is like the 10th thread looking for games similar to DR. Maybe search for the others to get suggestions?