Support our Sponsors:
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 09-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Rip73 Rip73 is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
A4 devices just need to be cut out entirely, unfortunately. But I'm really looking forward to see what GL can do.

As for the iPhone 5 I'm thinking it'll be getting a gpu upgrade, but the a5x is to big for its casing. Maybe a precursor to the a6 or a variation of the a5. But this year isn't one for major CPU/gpu upgrades, those are every other year.
The only time the CPU didnt change on the iPhone was from the original to 3G. They share the ARM 1176JZ.
3GS has ARM cortex A8.
iPhone 4 has the A4.
4S has the A5.
I'll grant you the clock speed of 4 and 4S is the same but one is single core and other is dual core.
So chip upgrade is every year (bar the first), not every other year. It does sometimes get confusing between iPads and iPhones but the iPhone generally leads the way and the iPad follows.
The odds, going on previous record and that the iPhone 5 (and the invite makes it clear that is what it will be called) will be the flagship device, is that we will see a major chip upgrade, in all likelihood to full quad core.
And most likely based on, or at least using the same manufacturing techniques as, the 32nm A5 chip in the upgrade that was done to the iPad 2 when the iPad 3 was launched. It is a much smaller chip after all.

Last edited by Rip73; 09-04-2012 at 10:13 PM..
  #22  
Old 09-04-2012, 10:03 PM
Rip73 Rip73 is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel916 View Post
I dont remember it going on sale at all lol
MC3 is currently just finished its third 99c sale.
March, June and last weekend.

Last edited by Rip73; 09-04-2012 at 10:11 PM..
  #23  
Old 09-04-2012, 10:12 PM
JBRUU JBRUU is offline
Senior Member
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 6,588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip73 View Post
The only time the CPU didnt change on the iPhone was the original to 3G. They share the ARM 1176JZ.
3GS has ARM cortex A8.
iPhone 4 has the A4.
4S has the A5.
I'll grant you the clock speed of 4 and 4S is the same but one is single core and other is dual core.
So chip upgrade is every year (bar the first), not every other year. It does sometimes get confusing between iPads and iPhones but the iPhone generally leads the way and the iPad follows.
The odds, going on previous record and that the iPhone 5 (and the invite makes it clear that is what it will be called) will be the flagship device, is that we will see a major chip upgrade, in all likelihood to full quad core.
And most likely based, or at least using the same manufacturing techniques, on the 32nm A5 chip in the upgrade that was done to the iPad 2 when the iPad 3 was launched. It is a much smaller chip after all.
I'm guessing a moderate increase in clock speed, but I'm honestly not to sure what the benefits of going full out quad core are. As I understand it, to actually reap any real benefits from the hardware the software has to be fully optimized for it. That would be an entire reworking of iOS. Could they do it? Yes, of course. Is it contained in iOS 6? I don't really know. All I know is that the leap in performance from the 3G-3GS was huge, the 3GS-4 little to none or even a downgrade (due to retina) and the 4-4s massive. Likewise, iPad 1-2 massive change in performance, 2-3 little change because of retina. Again this is all complete speculation.
  #24  
Old 09-04-2012, 10:19 PM
Rip73 Rip73 is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
I'm guessing a moderate increase in clock speed, but I'm honestly not to sure what the benefits of going full out quad core are. As I understand it, to actually reap any real benefits from the hardware the software has to be fully optimized for it. That would be an entire reworking of iOS. Could they do it? Yes, of course. Is it contained in iOS 6? I don't really know. All I know is that the leap in performance from the 3G-3GS was huge, the 3GS-4 little to none or even a downgrade (due to retina) and the 4-4s massive. Likewise, iPad 1-2 massive change in performance, 2-3 little change because of retina. Again this is all complete speculation.
Look, it doesn't really matter as its off topic anyway. But based on past patterns, it's more of an educated guess than speculation. And bear in mind that, again on past record, the chip in the iPhone 5 is going to be the precursor or variation of what goes to the next iPad. That is the pattern Apple follows very closely. And it's one that works.
Market forces dictate that a big jump in performance is required to simply keep up with the competition. At this stage it's marketing as much as performance. And from my use of ios 6, it most certainly would benefit greatly from a quad core CPU.
It doesn't matter. Next week will make it clear.

Last edited by Rip73; 09-04-2012 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: Typo
  #25  
Old 09-04-2012, 10:22 PM
JBRUU JBRUU is offline
Senior Member
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 6,588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip73 View Post
Look, it doesn't really matter as its off topic anyway. But based on past patterns, it's more of an educated guess than speculation. And bear in mind that, again on past record, the chip in the iPhone 5 is going to be the precursor or variation of what goes to the next iPad. That is the pattern Apple follows very closely. And it's one that works.
Market forces dictate that a big jump in performance is required to simply keep up with the competition. At this stage it's just marketing.
It doesn't matter. Next week will make it clear.
Yeah off topic sorry bout that.
  #26  
Old 09-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Rip73 Rip73 is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Yeah off topic sorry bout that.
Not to worry. As keen to get hands on the 5 as much as getting some screen shots of MC4.
I'm gonna guess it'll come out around December which means along with RR3, Forgotten Memories and a few others, that it's gonna be an expensive Christmas. I think I've around ten premium games coming around then that I simply have to instabuy so it's time to start lodging in some credit to iTunes. And probably an iPad mini as well to go with the iPhone 5. Possibly a 13 inch retina MacBook pro. Crap, the next few months are gonna be expensive.

Last edited by Rip73; 09-04-2012 at 10:30 PM..
  #27  
Old 09-04-2012, 11:12 PM
Sanuku Sanuku is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11,452
Default

If Gameloft would make it an iPhone 5/iPad Mini exlusive Title Apple wouldn`t be able to fill in the demand for the rest of the next six Months.
  #28  
Old 09-04-2012, 11:37 PM
handintoaster handintoaster is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 674
Default

right, because people will buy the new iphone/ipad mini just for a gameloft game...
  #29  
Old 09-05-2012, 12:00 AM
defred34 defred34 is offline
Banned
iPad 2, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,410
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip73 View Post
Not to worry. As keen to get hands on the 5 as much as getting some screen shots of MC4.
I'm gonna guess it'll come out around December which means along with RR3, Forgotten Memories and a few others, that it's gonna be an expensive Christmas. I think I've around ten premium games coming around then that I simply have to instabuy so it's time to start lodging in some credit to iTunes. And probably an iPad mini as well to go with the iPhone 5. Possibly a 13 inch retina MacBook pro. Crap, the next few months are gonna be expensive.
How do you know RR3 is out in December? I was thinking more along the lines of late October/early November.
  #30  
Old 09-05-2012, 01:04 AM
LOLavi LOLavi is offline
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,375
Default

Told you it was coming! So guys, are you ready to be excited for a game that is gonna freaking rock but will be ruined by 10-year-old boys who can't play and then need hacks to play it... I know I am! And then the lag! Man can't wait for playing against iPad 3 players who don't lag at all! I hope there's settings for graphics to make smoother

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent