★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Arcade Pool Online - Multiplayer ($.99)

06-08-2009, 01:58 AM
Arcade Pool Online - Multiplayer ($.99)

http://toucharcade.com/link/http://p...318535431&mt=8

06-08-2009, 03:20 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Slyv
Hi, i'm developer.

Thanks for announcement. I hope you will enjoy this game.

Sylwester Los

06-08-2009, 03:24 AM
Looks pretty good. Is it only online?

back
06-08-2009, 03:29 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Slyv
There is simple offline single player as well.
06-08-2009, 03:53 AM
ok I bought the game. I like it so far, but I havent had the chance to play live multiplayer yet. The physics of the ball movement are great, surprisingly very very good, Im impressed. The table and playing field seem a little small and cramped up though. It might've been better to have the borders of the table be on the edges of the iphone screen to make everything bigger. I will post more impressions once I play more and play a few online matches.
06-08-2009, 04:45 AM
The table dimensions in the first picture looks a bit off actually (the table looks like it's supposed to be longer). It could just be a problem with me eyes though. Lol.

The table in the second picture looks fine though. Argh... I already have 2 pool games. HMMMMM....

Crystal, OpenFeint, Plus+, Disc Drivin: Prab | Game Center: PrabSG
06-08-2009, 06:32 AM
The proportions of table on the second picture is right.
06-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Okay. I tried the game out. And I think it's a solid 4 out of 5 stars on my scale. I've also played Midnight Pool and Killer Pool before.

Before I say anything else, let me just say that The most important part of this game is the online multiplayer and I think it does this pretty well. You can chat, invite people to play, and also watch others play. For 99 cents, if you like playing those online pool flash games, this is for you.

Unlike most other pool games on the AppStore, this is 2D and not 3D. In a way, it makes things less fancy. On the other hand, it evens out the playing field and makes the gameplay less complicated. No backspins, no jumps, just who has the best aim and strategy to win the game. This spirit is also well engraved in the single player mode where you don't play 8 ball vs yourself (how can you anyway?). Instead, you just pocket all the balls in as little shots as possible. Think of the single player mode as a training ground for aim and strategy. So if you are concerned with data charges and like to play with an AI, this is not for you.

With a 2D table, you have to display the entire table so everything does look a bit smaller than what we're used to. I got used to it though and believe me, it's already hard enough to make a perfect angle for your shots. If the table was any bigger, youll need to make even finer angles for your shots.

The controls are not perfect. I'm too comfortable with Killer Pool's controls where you have a separate area for fine grain movements. Once you get used to this game's controls, it's not too bad though. Basically, you tap anywhere to move the cue there. Then, you can roll your finger around the cue for fine grained movements. I guess this control scheme was necessary given the available screen real estate.

As already mentioned, the ball movements are very smooth. The sound effects and graphics are pretty polished. My only complain would be the buttons. They look a bit plain.

All in all, 99 cents is a pretty cheap price to pay for an online pool game. If you used to play those online flash games, this is for you.

Last edited by Prab; 06-08-2009 at 09:51 AM.
06-08-2009, 09:54 AM
No spin on the ball huh?

Add that and I'll play.

Yahoo Pool is still where its at for me and online pool I guess.
06-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Its been a long (x999) time since I've played Yahoo Pool actually. Do they have spin?

And actually, maybe the game can just show the spin (the picture of the cue ball and where the cue will hit it) after pressing on the Hit button. The physics of the game might need tweaking but I hope it doesnt seem too impossible.