★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

80s Choplifter (like?) game

06-08-2009, 01:59 AM
80s Choplifter (like?) game

So I've been interested in the choplifter like games on the iphone, and I was remembering a game I used to play on my Mac (I think? or maybe it was the Apple?) back in the 80s/90s. I could have sword it was Choplifter, but after looking up info about it, maybe it wasn't.

What I remember was flying a helicopter in a side scrolling game in which you take over bunkers and possess more and more of the playing field in an attempt to destroy your opponent's base. The opponent would have a helicopter as well. You could send out infantry units of different types - gunners and engineers. The gunners of course could shoot while the engineers would (I think - can't remember well) change the anti-aircraft guns to shoot at the enemy instead of you. You could also send out tanks. I seem to remember you'd rescue prisoners with your chopper as well.

Basically what I remember is a Choplifter type game on steroids. Was this a remake of the original? Or Choplifter 2? Or a different game? Anyone else remember this? I'd love it if one of the choplifter like game devs for the iphone would incorporate these features in their games (like maybe saucelifter - that's a pretty good version).
06-08-2009, 02:11 AM
There is Chopper by MajicDave, but not sure if he is creating Chopper 2 the way you outlined. Sorry.

Game Designer and Producer of Trenches, Evertales, and more!

| Follow me on Twitter or EMAIL ME |

06-08-2009, 05:36 AM
What you're seeking is Glory Days 2 and it's for the Nintendo DS. Something more 'basic' choplifterish game for iPhone is Saucelifter.
06-08-2009, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfoundry View Post
So I've been interested in the choplifter like games on the iphone, and I was remembering a game I used to play on my Mac (I think? or maybe it was the Apple?) back in the 80s/90s. I could have sword it was Choplifter, but after looking up info about it, maybe it wasn't.

What I remember was flying a helicopter in a side scrolling game in which you take over bunkers and possess more and more of the playing field in an attempt to destroy your opponent's base. The opponent would have a helicopter as well. You could send out infantry units of different types - gunners and engineers. The gunners of course could shoot while the engineers would (I think - can't remember well) change the anti-aircraft guns to shoot at the enemy instead of you. You could also send out tanks. I seem to remember you'd rescue prisoners with your chopper as well.

Basically what I remember is a Choplifter type game on steroids. Was this a remake of the original? Or Choplifter 2? Or a different game? Anyone else remember this? I'd love it if one of the choplifter like game devs for the iphone would incorporate these features in their games (like maybe saucelifter - that's a pretty good version).
That sounds like Rescue Raiders on the Apple ][. Great game.
06-08-2009, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwilnik View Post
That sounds like Rescue Raiders on the Apple ][. Great game.
Thankyou! It actually wasn't rescue raiders, but looking that up, I found out want it was - a remake of that game for the mac called Armor Alley! And yeah, a great game! If only someone would port it...
06-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Whoops...I should read the entire thread before I post. Sorry, duplicate info now deleted. And yes, Glory Days 2 on the Nintendo DS not only brings the Rescue Raiders/Armor Alley gameplay, but also incorporates levels based on another old Apple II game called Wings of Fury.

Last edited by Saucepolicy; 06-08-2009 at 11:49 AM.
06-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Hey, that's some good info. I'll take a look at Rescue Raiders and Armor Alley as research for Saucelifter 2.

Madgarden aka Paul Pridham -- Code, sound, pixels: Death Road to Canada, PUNCH QUEST with rocketcat games, EGGNOGG, Chillaxian, GlitchMachine, Saucelifter, Sword of Fargoal... and more stuff on the way.
madgarden.net -- saucelifter.com -- glitchmachine.com -- fargoal.com forums -- madgarden@twitter
06-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madgarden View Post
Hey, that's some good info. I'll take a look at Rescue Raiders and Armor Alley as research for Saucelifter 2.
Really? Sweet! I'm assuming you're the dev for Saucelifter - I was actually going to email you with suggestions for the game based on Armor Alley, but looks like you saved me the time

I haven't bought Saucelifter yet (tried the lite version though and it's definitely fun - just have way too many games to play right now), but I would definitely get it if you added those features.
07-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Someone just told me that Armor Alley is being ported to iPhone!!
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=18001