★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Unique iOS Gameplay Experience!
Recognize the painting hidden throughout the layers, drag and match the overlapped stripes in order to discover a masterpiece that had previously lied beneath.
If you love art or puzzle games (even if you love them both!) this game is made to fit your taste.

Fresh gameplay
6 wings with majestic paintings
Playing grids increasingly difficult
Extremely colorful eye catching graphics
A personal gallery with your solved paintings
Continuous updates with new free levels

"It creates a unique and interesting aspect to sliding puzzle games." - App Store Arcade

"Goofy Gallerist is a great art based puzzle game, not only are you keeping your mind active but seeing great art." - Hot Mac Apps

"The unique vertical and horizontal panes overlap in an almost stained glass-like fashion, creating a puzzle experience that is perfectly in step with the subject matter. And if you play games on the train, you can look cool and intellectual while you kill time. What could be finer?" - Tapscape

Goofy Gallerist is a one of a kind art-puzzle game in which you have to help the gallerist restore some of the most grand and notorious paintings in the world scrambled by a mischevious alien from outer space. The gallerist needs your help!

MattDite's comments:
Hello everybody

I'm an independent developer and this is what I have been working on.

It is a sliding game, but different from the ones I have seen around.

The inspiration comes from one of those relaxing time waster I used to play when I was in high school.

Now there are plenty of them online and in the app store but I really never enjoyed them because of the subjects ( cats, flowers, my own photos, buildings, etc..) and because of the gameplay. I was bored by the typical move and arrange the blocks. Plus most of them have terrible user interfaces.
There are few ones with a subject I love such as art, but the gameplay is more similar to a jigsaw than a sliding game.

I wanted to have a dynamic gameplay, and a colorful design.
Keep focusing on the art world, I chose masterpieces from different periods, I cleaned and resized them to fit the full iPhone screen.
I got rid of the "block" concept. I duplicated the artwork, I cut one in vertical stripes, the other one in horizontal stripes. And here you have a jumbled painting to restore.
To make things a little bit harder I decided to add a moves limit and the advanced levels are pretty difficult.
While playing there is an option button to check the difficulty of the level and the moves remaining in order to clear it.

My friends found it very fun and addictive but I would like more opinions about it. Every comment and feedback about it is welcome !
The game is free, and it will always be. And if you love arts, i'm pretty sure you'll enjoy it !

Here is a short trailer video you can look at ! http://youtu.be/TLW2Q7fPWzo?hd=1

Regarding the longevity, If you are fast and your visual memory is good it should not take more than one hour to finish the 36 levels.
There is also a paid version, ( with few differences such as no moves limit, different rating system, obviously more levels ) for those who will enjoy the free version and want more!
Feedbacks and comments about longevity and difficulty curve are also very welcome !!

Thank you so much for taking time to read all of this !
09-06-2012, 04:40 PM
I'll give it a shot, thanks!
09-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Great ! Any feedback will be appreciated !
09-12-2012, 09:40 AM
I'm really enjoying this! It reminds me of the "Blueprint" type twist-n-turn puzzles, where you manipulate the environment to reveal a particular shape. In this case, you're manipulating semi-transparent layers to eventually reveal a single, complete painting.

It's quite a beautiful game, with a nice ramp-up in difficulty. Two things I'd like to see added sometime: the ability to find out what your goal is for five stars in a level (how many moves are you aiming to beat? Are there other requirements, like time?). Edit: I didn't see this, above:

While playing there is an option button to check the difficulty of the level and the moves remaining in order to clear it.
I finally pressed the gear (which I figured was just restart, but was actually pause) and I see the number of moves required at the bottom. It would be nice if this information either flashed when when you started a level, or was part of the puzzle screen (perhaps a count down or a count up, so you could keep track of how many moved you've made so far).

And I wish the game remembered where I left off, or at least what "museum wing" I was attempting.

I was a little worried, at first, because I played the tutorial level, then quit, only to have to play the tutorial level again when I came back because the game didn't remember that I completed it already. Once I was passed the tutorial level and into the next wing, that hasn't cropped up again.

Finally, I'd love to see this available for iPad, and not just have to play it in 2X mode! Even on the retina iPad it looks nice, just a bit blurry, so I imagine it'll look fantastic if it ever does get a universal (or a separate iPad) treatment!

All-in-all, I'm addicted! I love the art theme! I find the game nicely challenging, yet relaxing. Great job!

Last edited by dclose; 09-12-2012 at 10:14 AM.
09-12-2012, 09:56 AM
BTW, my code won't let me leave an iTunes review, so I downloaded the free version and left a 5-star review for that.
09-14-2012, 08:43 PM

Hi !
Thank you so much for the great review and feedbacks ! I really appreciate it !

I'm working on few updates and I'm figuring out how to show the moves while playing the game, regarding the option button, you made a really good point, and I'll definitely change the gear with the pause symbol. Restarting from the same wing you played last is another improvement I'll put into the new update!

I still don't know when I'll do an hd version for iPad, but I would definitely love to play with all those painting is such a bigger resolution !

I'm really glad you enjoyed it and I thank you so much for your feedbacks!