★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

The Amiga Shooter !! - NOW ON SALE - $3.99 ->$0.99

09-07-2012, 12:25 AM
The Amiga Shooter !! - NOW ON SALE - $3.99 ->$0.99

Hi everyone,

The Amiga Shooter! Battle Squadron universal is now on Sale for a limited time, just $0.99

Go grap a copy and give this great retro gem a spin

Want more fun? Then try the special 2 player split-screen mode on your iPad...

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/battlesquadr1/id439240591?mt=8&ls=1

09-07-2012, 12:54 AM
Well, this game got me curious.

First off the game is not The amiga shooter, but it is Battle Squadron One.

Second, the game has really good reviews on itunes as well as on many different boards such as Touch Arcade.

Third, the graphics are lously, haha, but guess at one time Amiga graphics were king.

Fourth, there is a lite version that costs 99 cents!!! Weird! And a 2 player ipad version too!

Fifth, the game has 2 player ipad gameplay, mainly why I bought the game.

Sixth, the game is fun, if you like shmups.

Seventh, don't really think this game is a $4 game, but for 99 cents, I would definitely recommend it.

Eighth, why I made this list, I got no clue... Guess I'm just bored...

09-07-2012, 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post

Second, the game has really good reviews on itunes as well as on many different boards such as Touch Arcade.

Third, the graphics are lously, haha, but guess at one time Amiga graphics were king.

Fourth, there is a lite version that costs 99 cents!!! Weird! And a 2 player ipad version too!

Seventh, don't really think this game is a $4 game, but for 99 cents, I would definitely recommend it.

Haha, that's some great insights you just gave there, thanks Connector

09-07-2012, 02:35 AM
how do you control this? buttons or swipe (cave-style)?

btw torben, you've got me with the "amiga" thingy
09-07-2012, 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janni View Post
how do you control this? buttons or swipe (cave-style)?

btw torben, you've got me with the "amiga" thingy
Thanks Janni

Actually you have 4 control schemes to choose from:
Relative Direct touch x2
Relative Direct touch
Joypad
Tilt

The most prefered and popular is relative direct touch x2 (like swipe and yes cave style, but slightly better, imo) and also my personal favorite

Last edited by TorbenLarsen; 09-07-2012 at 02:45 AM.
09-07-2012, 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorbenLarsen View Post
Thanks Janni

Actually you have 4 control schemes to choose from:
Relative Direct touch x2
Relative Direct touch
Joypad
Tilt

The most prefered and popular is relative direct touch x2 (like swipe and yes cave style, but slightly better, imo) and also my personal favorite
I think the controls differ a bit from ipad vs iphone. Seems like the relative touch 2 was made for the iphone, the relative direct touch plays better on my new ipad and this mode is more like direct touch. The joypad control is probably designed more for the iphone too.

So on my ipad, relative direct touch and tilt work best. This game actually plays very well on tilt mode. Play the game on easy though on tilt mode.

There are numerous difficulty settings, and there is a magnifying lens option where you can stretch the screen to full screen which I like.

The thing I like most about the game is that there are a lot of options where you can experiment with controls, difficulties, and other things.

@TorbenLarsen,
I assume you are the developer, the only thing that I would like to mention is on the ipad, with a normal holding position, it is a little hard to hit the missile button. It is so far down on the bottom, that it is hard to reach when you are holding the ipad. Is there anyway that you could add a swap button option so the fire and missile buttons are swapped? Either that or maybe add a function to move buttons to customizable locations?

Otherwise, good fun simple game.
09-07-2012, 04:21 AM
One of the best old school shooters on the AppStore. Must buy at $0.99.
09-07-2012, 04:56 AM
Quote:
I think the controls differ a bit from ipad vs iphone. Seems like the relative touch 2 was made for the iphone, the relative direct touch plays better on my new ipad and this mode is more like direct touch. The joypad control is probably designed more for the iphone too.

So on my ipad, relative direct touch and tilt work best. This game actually plays very well on tilt mode. Play the game on easy though on tilt mode.

There are numerous difficulty settings, and there is a magnifying lens option where you can stretch the screen to full screen which I like.

The thing I like most about the game is that there are a lot of options where you can experiment with controls, difficulties, and other things.

@TorbenLarsen,
I assume you are the developer, the only thing that I would like to mention is on the ipad, with a normal holding position, it is a little hard to hit the missile button. It is so far down on the bottom, that it is hard to reach when you are holding the ipad. Is there anyway that you could add a swap button option so the fire and missile buttons are swapped? Either that or maybe add a function to move buttons to customizable locations?

Otherwise, good fun simple game.
Connector, I really like your comment on the tilt, as it just shows the many ways one can use the different controls in the game

And you comment about the magnify feature or stretch mode which it really is, is right on! This was actually my idea to use the full size of the phone/iPad screen and I pretty much ONLY play in magnify mode on my iPod and my iPad
(It was actually taken out in the end run, BUT I wanted it, so it stayed)

(The coming Amiga game Hybris will also have the magnify mode option)

In regards to the controls, we really didn't have much of a choise but to get a lot of control mechanics in there. It would be pretty much a disaster if the game didn't play at least as good like it does on the Amiga. It was really worth it. We had 15 experienced betatesters going at it and giving us valuable feedback

Your good idea about the control buttons and making them an option, I will forward to Martin Pedersen

And Connector, you're right I am one of the developers on this oldie and really pushy Amiga gem of a shooter

Great to hear some positive and realistic feedback and really shows that there is a lot more to learn on these smartphones, iPad devices in regards to controls

Last edited by TorbenLarsen; 09-07-2012 at 05:02 AM.
09-07-2012, 06:10 AM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
Quote:

Woah... really????

Easily a $4 game. I hadn't heard of Battle Squadron until it was ported over to the iOS, but after I snatched it up, I went out and found an old SEGA cartridge. It's been one of my favorite shmups since. =oP

If I had to do it all over again, I'd drop the $4 in an instant.
09-07-2012, 06:31 AM
So could the dev please comment on why the lite version costs 99c?