★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Space Monkey now Ad Supported

11-26-2008, 04:00 AM
Space Monkey now Ad Supported

So a new update for Space Monkey just came it.

The 1.2 firmware
adds a bunch of new modes, production art, and ads

Space Monkey started out as a 3.99 (4.99?) port of a mobile game I enjoyed very much. Which is why I bought it.

It later went free as a promo and is now 99 cents.

The dev says the ads are there to help support them as they create new additions to the game like all the modes in this update.

So here is the question I'm posing to everyone reading:

Would you feel slighted if you bought a game for at the normal price and it later became cheaper and ad supported?

The ads in Space Monkey are the normal AdMob ads we've all seen and appear only when you complete a level, though I don't like them at least them aren't THAT intrusive. But how would you feel if a game you payed good money and it had an ad system like TapDefense? (I was literally bombarded with it attempting to locate me and was deleted it because of that)

Would you rather a game start with a lower price point and ads or a higher priced version without the ads?

Would you like to see both in the store at the same time so you could choose the version you would prefer?

I figured this would be a great place to ask seeing as how many devs both new and established come here.
11-26-2008, 04:54 AM
Personally I don't go for apps with ads, I get bombarded with ads enough in everyday life without them intruding into my recreation time. That said if a developer wants to generate a little income by including advertising in their lite version or free apps then I am all for it, but to sell a full version app and then down the track slip ads into it through an update is low and just about the money so they lose me.

11-26-2008, 05:22 AM
Not a big issue for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegantTnT View Post
Would you feel slighted if you bought a game for at the normal price and it later became cheaper and ad supported?

The ads in Space Monkey are the normal AdMob ads we've all seen and appear only when you complete a level, though I don't like them at least them aren't THAT intrusive. But how would you feel if a game you payed good money and it had an ad system like TapDefense? (I was literally bombarded with it attempting to locate me and was deleted it because of that)
The app store is just an emerging market place. It has not had time to evolve and everyone, developers and consumers alike, are still finding their feet. This includes finding an acceptable short and long term price for games. As a consumer I would not mind. As long as the ads were not too intrusive. I'm already exposed to lots of advertising everyday. On TV, the Internet, in the newspaper, junkmail, on the radio. Heck I even see ads on people's clothing! Company logos, slogans and the like. And I am good at ignoring most of it! I suspect that I could ignore ingame ads just as easily as long as they are not too intrusive.

I know that some people do not like the insertion of an ad by Freeverse into one of their games. I checked that out and as far as I could tell it was just a link on the menu page. Not intrusive and easily ignored. I've tried out the TapDefense game and the messages about using my location are very annoying, but the developer claims they will be fixing that soon. It was a free game, a genre I hadn't played before and it therefore gave me the chance to try something new. It's a new developer with a new platform and I read somewhere that they plan to fix the messages to stop them appearing after every level. So I am willing to give them time to fix this. I wouldn't want to see all ads in games be as annoying though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegantTnT View Post
Would you rather a game start with a lower price point and ads or a higher priced version without the ads?

Would you like to see both in the store at the same time so you could choose the version you would prefer?
I have no problem playing a lite version of a game that includes ads in the lite version. And I don't mind ads appearing on menu screens that tell you about other apps/games by that developer. If I like the game/app then I am more likely to buy from that developer and I already look for other games/apps by them.

If the app store prices don't settle down over the longer term then I think just about every game is going to have paid ads in them. Developers have to pay their bills and to do this they need to have some money coming in. If it is not from customers then it will be from paid advertising in their games/apps.

If prices for games and apps stay low then ads will be in just about every game and I have no problem with that. Everyone has to pay their bills somehow. If I really liked a game then I would be happy to pay for a version without ads.

But I do really hope that once the app store settles down a bit, there will be no need for most developers to resort to putting lots of ads into their games. But if they do put ads in then unobtrusive ads are preferable and I would think that any app with really anoying ads will soon be deleted by users.
11-26-2008, 05:45 AM
I think this is just a slap in the face for the people who bought this at full price (like me).

Couldn't they've made the app-supported version a new game?
11-26-2008, 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiller ONE View Post
I think this is just a slap in the face for the people who bought this at full price (like me).

Couldn't they've made the app-supported version a new game?
I agree. Make a free version with ads and leave the paid version without ads. Same game, but let people choose how they contribute their revenue.
11-26-2008, 06:53 AM
And now it is free forever:

"Space Monkey is now free! To fund improvements in Space Monkey and add popular feature requests, we have integrated a series of unobtrusive ads into the game. These ads appear at the end of each level and will not interfere with gameplay." (store description)
11-26-2008, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGewappnet View Post
And now it is free forever:

"Space Monkey is now free! To fund improvements in Space Monkey and add popular feature requests, we have integrated a series of unobtrusive ads into the game. These ads appear at the end of each level and will not interfere with gameplay." (store description)
well damn, I checked the new games section and sure enough it's been made free less than an hour ago.

Can't say I'm very happy about this. I paid full price for this game twice now (on my iphone and my old razr)

Glu Mobile is a HUGE dev in the mobile market and I'm kind of sad that they didn't just release a free ad version of the game and left my version WITHOUT them.
11-26-2008, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeofAnkh View Post
I agree. Make a free version with ads and leave the paid version without ads. Same game, but let people choose how they contribute their revenue.
Yup, totally agree.
Why should people who purchased this game at a price the developer felt was reasonable, now subject those customers to ads? That's changing the agreement to some degree.

I think this option mentioned above is a great way to skirt the issue. Pay for a non-ad game, or get it free with ads.

My question now is can you still play the game offline or do you now need wifi connection for the ads to come through? Basically, are the ads part of the application now? Because if I can't play offline with my Touch, then I won't be getting the update....though it will always show as 1 on the app store icon which is obtrusive in it's own right.....
11-26-2008, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Charley View Post
Yup, totally agree.
Why should people who purchased this game at a price the developer felt was reasonable, now subject those customers to ads? That's changing the agreement to some degree.

I think this option mentioned above is a great way to skirt the issue. Pay for a non-ad game, or get it free with ads.

My question now is can you still play the game offline or do you now need wifi connection for the ads to come through? Basically, are the ads part of the application now? Because if I can't play offline with my Touch, then I won't be getting the update....though it will always show as 1 on the app store icon which is obtrusive in it's own right.....
I went ahead and played the game in AIRPLANE mode to test it out.

The game starts up fine and I finished a level... NO ADS!

So if you aren't in wifi you have a free game that is most likely completely ad free.

As long as I have edge on my iphone I WILL get adds though =/
11-26-2008, 10:37 AM
deleted

i like supporting developers, but i do not agree wit these principles

paying for a demo
paying for a product then having it become an advertisement for another product
paying for a demo

if i paid for a product, i paid cause i didnt want ads, that is generally ut the software industry works
im not paying for a service, in which it is okay to advertise generally

its a slap in the face which curbs my buying habits [good for me, bad for developers]