★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Trains

06-08-2009, 06:33 PM
Trains

Introductory price of $0.99 USD - one week only! Price will be $1.99 USD starting June 15, 2009.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=317367049&mt=8

"If you like Flight Control by Firemint, you will love Trains!

Trains is a fun, addictive, and challenging strategy game that requires a quick eye and nimble fingers. You control the tracks as a variety of colored trains speed through the yard. You switch intersections ahead of the trains to direct the cargo through the proper warehouses, and then safely off the screen. Proper switching drops off the cargo in the warehouses and rewards you with points. But if any of the trains collide, your time as engineer is done and you have to start over.

Each color of train is a different length and travels at a different speed, so you need to keep a careful eye on the tracks. Touch the junction points to change their orientation and keep the trains running to the correct warehouse, and then direct them clear of the yard. Watch for the crossing signs at the edges of the screen to see where the next train will emerge."

Gameplay Trailer

Youtube link | Pop Up
06-08-2009, 06:38 PM
And yet another Flight Control-like game...

06-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFonePhanatic View Post
Yeah. Every since the success of Flight Control, loads of Flight Control rip-offs have flooded the App Store.

Hakuna Matata
06-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Quote:
There's like two besides this... We have flight control, harbor master which isn't even out yet, this, and what else?
06-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Apparently you haven't followed the casual game market much. This is pretty typical.

No one ever says "Gee, look, yet another FPS on the consoles!"... *yawn*
06-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertf224 View Post
There's like two besides this... We have flight control, harbor master which isn't even out yet, this, and what else?
Gridlocked, Traffic Lights, VIPValet, Trains, soon Harbor Master, etc etc etc
06-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertf224 View Post
There's a game similar to this called taxidrive - the art style is almost identical to flight control

Playing: FIFA 12 Monster Island Quarrel Deluxe FIFA Superstars Fix-It-Up
Waiting For: Trenches 2, Ultra Kid, Car Jack Streets 2, Star Command
Plus+, Game Center, Open Feint, Crystal, Gameloft Live: jecebn
06-08-2009, 08:25 PM
I rather like how this one looks, and may very well give it a try.

As for it being like Flight Control - there's less than a dozen games that jumped on that bandwagon. It's nowhere near match-3, tower defense, or arkanoid... yet. It's what happens with trends, I'm always so surprised when people jump on things for being like other things, as if only the original should be released and played, and that no others should ever try to add new ideas, twists, or perhaps improve on the genre - this whole idea isn't new. I can remember as a kid with Tamagotchi's, when Giga Pets came out, and then Dinky Dinos, and so forth. It happens! It's called a "trend" for a reason, and Flight Control can perhaps be the "trend setter". There has to be competition in every genre, regardless.

I'll probably snag this one up tonight and post my thoughts.
06-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Whats most interesting about this game is it is made by ZAGG. ZAGG makes the protective to prevent scratches and cosmetic damage for a lot if electronic devices. I have a ZAGG cover on my nano. Works well.
06-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by learjetzoom View Post
Whats most interesting about this game is it is made by ZAGG.
You are the first person to comment on that. Good catch.
http://www.zagg.com/support/apps/trains.php
You can send any questions or comments about this app to: trains@zagg.com