★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Tipix (Breakout meets Labyrinth but w/STYLE), $0.99

06-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Tipix is OUT (Breakout meets Labyrinth but w/STYLE), $0.99

Touchsmiths, LLC is proud to announce our first game in the iTunes App Store: Tipix!

Click Here to Buy ($0.99 for a limited time)

Tipix is a unique hybrid of Breakout and Labyrinth but with a GORGEOUS art style. The variety of strategies and challenges on each level provide something different for both casual and seasoned gamers.

Tilt your device to move a marble around the screen and destroy all of the blue tiles covering the hidden picture. Watch out for the hazards that are scattered everywhere (red, yellow, green, purple, and black tiles)! Your score is constantly ticking down, so clear the blue tiles as fast as you can!

Features:
•21 levels, hand crafted tile-by-tile, each offering vastly different strategies for success
•5 hazardous tiles that if touched will affect your score or your marble (Super Slow-Mo, Reverse Tilt, etc.)
•Physics engine that accurately “rolls” the marble providing top-notch tilt controls
•Zero load screens and short (but challenging!) levels mean quick playtime whenever and wherever
•Get the highest score possible on each level and then compete against the rest of the world with your Total Score!

Be sure to check out the preview video below to see Tipix in action!

Visit us at http://www.touchsmiths.com!
Follow us on Twitter!
Tipix 1.3 is OUT NOW! Loco Moto is OUT NOW!

Last edited by Touchsmiths; 06-09-2009 at 06:05 PM.
06-09-2009, 12:40 AM
It looks really interesting, but I'm slightly put off with there only being 21 levels. Are there any more planned in future updates?

Also - is there any reason all of the backgrounds are pictures of vegetation? I'm just curious.

06-09-2009, 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhgii View Post
It looks really interesting, but I'm slightly put off with there only being 21 levels. Are there any more planned in future updates?

Also - is there any reason all of the backgrounds are pictures of vegetation? I'm just curious.

Great question. We are planning many more updates in the future (more levels, different hazards, etc.) and we guarantee that all updates will be 100% free. We are also trying to work on a system where users can create their own "hazard-maps" and send them in to us so we can implement them into the game. I've personally found that involving the community is the fastest way to getting the most amount of content.

As far as the background pictures go, we decided to play it as safe as possible and choose pictures that no one would really have an issue with. It just so happens that the three screenshots we decided to post are of vegetation. There's more variety in the actual game.

Follow us on Twitter!

Last edited by Touchsmiths; 06-09-2009 at 12:59 AM.
06-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know that we have 5 Promo Codes to give out for people to try Tipix

Since we are looking for active posters that will be able to write brief impressions for other users here at TouchArcade and in iTunes, please PM me for more information.

Thanks!

EDIT:The promo codes have been taken. We'll post some more soon!

Follow us on Twitter!

Last edited by Touchsmiths; 06-09-2009 at 06:06 PM.
06-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchsmiths View Post
Just wanted to let everyone know that we have 5 Promo Codes to give out for people to try Tipix

Since we are looking for active posters that will be able to write brief impressions for other users here at TouchArcade and in iTunes, please PM me for more information.

Thanks!
PM sent.

Games Uncovered / Twitter / YouTube
We are looking for reviewers to write at Games Uncovered. PM me if you are interested!
06-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Wow. This game is really, really, hard. It took me five tries to beat the first level

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." ~ Albert Einstein
06-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the promo code, here are my impressions/review:

I'm a big fan of labyrinth games and they suit the iDevice perfectly, because of the accelerometer, so Tipix is one of the more unique labyrinth games to add to my collection. This time instead of avoiding the holes and trying to get to the finish you have to clear the board of blue tiles while avoiding the other coloured tiles and within the time limit. This can cause some fun, frantic and frustrating game play.

I've played the first few levels so far and I have to say, this is pretty challenging! The very first level took me about 5 tries to complete because of the time limit so I think that it should probably be lengthened or taken away completely (fully explained at the bottom of the review). The variety in the levels is quite significant because each group of levels introduces a new hazardous block and therefore levels get harder and harder. The levels are also very well designed and you have to think of a good strategy to complete them rather than just trying to complete them as quick as possible.

The controls work pretty well but the ball seems to go a bit slowly and there is no option to change the sensitivity. I also experienced a couple of crashes after failing levels.

One of my main gripes is that there is no sound at all. I'd like to see some SFX (ball rolling, different sounds when different blocks are touched) and possibly a good techno soundtrack). It plays great while using my own music but having SFX and music in a game is a real plus.

The game also has quite a lot of content. 21 levels doesn't sound like much but the levels are pretty hard and will take a while for you to complete them. The online high scores also adds a ton of replay value to this game.

Overall Tipix is an interesting mix of Breakout and Labyrinth with a few problems that could easily be fixed. I'd say this is currently 3/5.

Improvements:
  • Add SFX and music. I feel that games without them are slightly incomplete.
  • Ability to change the tilt sensitivity and calibration.
  • Change the way the game is scored so you don't have to complete the levels in the certain time (which is frustrating) but instead it counts the time it takes you and gives you a bronze, silver or gold medal corresponding to your time.
  • Make it so you have to unlock levels as you go on (so there is an incentive to play the levels in order).
Edit: One more thing:
  • Disable the auto-lock because it dims the screen as you play.

Games Uncovered / Twitter / YouTube
We are looking for reviewers to write at Games Uncovered. PM me if you are interested!

Last edited by Palfince; 06-13-2009 at 11:08 AM.
06-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palfince View Post
  • Add SFX and music. I feel that games without them are slightly incomplete.
  • Ability to change the tilt sensitivity and calibration.
  • Change the way the game is scored so you don't have to complete the levels in the certain time (which is frustrating) but instead it counts the time it takes you and gives you a bronze, silver or gold medal corresponding to your time.
  • Make it so you have to unlock levels as you go on (so there is an incentive to play the levels in order).

Thanks for the feedback!

Your first two points are things we are definitely planning on adding in future updates. We originally had some some simple SFX but our testers found them to be more of an annoyance than adding to the experience, and opted to turn it off. Hence we decided to remove them all together and allow the user to play their own music (as is a much requested feature).

The reason why we have all the levels unlocked from the start is because the game was intentionally made to be challenging (perhaps we made it too much so!). We felt it was prudent to give users the chance to try out every level even if they were stuck on the first few. This design decision was based on the feedback we received from our testers.

Again, thanks for the feedback! We will definitely incorporate it into forthcoming updates.

Follow us on Twitter!
06-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Just wanted to let everyone that we submitted an update last week that addresses the issues Palfince mentions above. Specifically:

- Added an options menu where the player can adjust the tilt sensitivity and the viewing angle
- Increased the time limit for each level to make it less frustrating
- Fixed the auto-lock issue that cause the screen to dim during play.

The update has been in review for about 1 week now so hopefully it will be ready soon!

We are also planning on adding more updates in the weeks to come (implementing more levels and play mechanics) so please give us as much feedback as you'd like!

Follow us on Twitter!