★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Galactic Gunner (Pre-Release Review)

06-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Send a message via AIM to skamando
Galactic Gunner (Pre-Release Review)

Due to the very exciting pre-release promo code hunt here at TA, I was rewarded a promo code before Ezone's Galactic Gunner release. Here is a a brief review for those who are interested.

Galactic Gunner is a touch-to-shoot Sci-Fi action game. You play the role of a rookie gunner on a space fighter defending the galaxy from the evil invasion of the Trepidoids. The game plays out very cinematically. You have no control over your ships direction, only when and where your ship fires. You merely touch the screen to fire your lasers. This may sound boring to some, but, I find it exhilarating. The game is very action packed, and your ship zooming around and veering left and right makes the game very engaging. To me, it feels like a little simplified version of Star Fox, and just as fun. A thing that may remind me of Star Fox is your wingmen's constant interference and intrusion on screen, so you will have to watch your fire, or assist them.

The graphics are very nice. Detailed and smooth, my iPhone 3G runs them great without any lag or skipping. The presentation is clean and responsive. The break down of each battle is perfectly in-depth, and contain's icons that looks suspiciously similar to the stars in Crazy Snowboard.

There is a ranking system, which is based on your performance in game. There is also a points system based on target completion, and accuracy, so you can't just go tapping away willy-nilly. This adds a level of challenge, as having 100% accuracy is difficult and shooting a few too many times can make you unable to move on to the next level, because you need a certain amount of points to reach each level.

There is a good level of humor in this game. It keeps it from being too serious, which is nice. It feels like it's poking fun at itself and games of a similar style. There are many lines of over-the-top cheesy dialogue, which I found myself chuckling inwardly at as i blasted the Trepidoids who spouted them. This attitude is always something I admire, and so, I liked this game just a little bit more.

The funny thing is, as Ezone is an Australian developer, all of the MANY lines of voice acting have Australian accents, and there are many Australian colloquialisms mixed in to the menus and dialogue. Your ranks, whihc you attain through excellent performance, are even named after Australian terms. I find this particularly amusing, as I am good friends with an Australian and happen to know all of the slang.

I have not yet finished the game, so I have no idea how many levels there are and the true extent of it's content. I'll be back to detail this once I do. However, the earlier levels can play out in a minute or less, so I do hope there are quite a few.

So, right now, with these impressions, I give this game a 8.5 out of 10. It has a good bit of fun and humor, and it looks great, feels good, and has a pleasing level of challenge. If you like arcade shooters and are into cheesy Sci-Fi, i'm sure you will love this. And, at only $.99 (on its release), I would suggest it to anyone.

The Trepidoid's Will Rule The Universe!

Things that should be included in an update:
-Online Scoring system.
-(Possibly) More levels.

Faves: Saucelifter, Westbang, Eliss, Edge, Tilt to Live, Mindwall, Radial 50, Super Quick Hook, Sword of Fargoal, Carcassone, Trainyard.
Playing: Super Mega Worm, Aqueduct, Monster Dash, FASTAR!, Shining Force, Frogatto, The Incident, Dark Nebula Ep. 2.

Last edited by skamando; 06-09-2009 at 02:35 PM.
06-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Wow, what a review. Great job.
I thought it was against dev's rules to review games before their release dates.

1st & 2nd gen iPod Touch 3.0
XBL, Plus+ and OpenFeint: TheKrazyRussian
Fav Dev/Game: Self Aware Games / Sentinel 2.
Beta tested for Ngmoco, EA and Insomniac Games.

06-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKrazyRussian View Post
Wow, what a review. Great job.
I thought it was against dev's rules to review games before their release dates.
I hope not. If so, please, Mods, close this thread down!

I was told when givin' the code, that I should tell them what I think of the game. I don't know if that meant publicly or privately.

Faves: Saucelifter, Westbang, Eliss, Edge, Tilt to Live, Mindwall, Radial 50, Super Quick Hook, Sword of Fargoal, Carcassone, Trainyard.
Playing: Super Mega Worm, Aqueduct, Monster Dash, FASTAR!, Shining Force, Frogatto, The Incident, Dark Nebula Ep. 2.
06-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Great review Skamando. From playing with the pre-release build, the game is ideal for casual gamers, and there is a nice element of replayability with unlocking levels and earning medals. The graphics and the voiceovers as mentioned above add a good layer to the storyline with a dose of humor.
06-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Albie View Post
Great review Skamando. From playing with the pre-release build, the game is ideal for casual gamers, and there is a nice element of replayability with unlocking levels and earning medals.
Thanks, that means a lot coming from you. I'm really enjoying this game though.

06-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skamando View Post
Thanks, that means a lot coming from you. I'm really enjoying this game though.
Thanks, but don't mention it.

I remember when I first started playing it, and thought I wouldn't like the auto steering. But, once you get into it, it's a nice change and a very good tap shooter. I especially like the Aussie voiceovers.
06-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Hey where did you guys find the video for the promo codes. Or is that part of the game? And are all the codes already gone, or no?

Add me on Plus/OpenFeint/Gamecenter/Crystal: redsoxsrule424
Moderator at Com2uS' forums: http://global.com2us.com/forums
Moderator in IMO: [-MD-]soxrock424 in Siras, on Wadangka!
06-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxsrule424 View Post
Hey where did you guys find the video for the promo codes. Or is that part of the game? And are all the codes already gone, or no?
Head over to the contest thread. There are still codes left. All should be explained there.

06-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to ezone
Quote:
Originally Posted by skamando View Post
I was told when givin' the code, that I should tell them what I think of the game. I don't know if that meant publicly or privately.
Thanks for the great review Skamando! Great to see you are enjoying it -- and we have no problem (in fact we are thrilled!) with you doing a review of the pre-release. Thanks again, and remember everybody there are still 9 more promo codes out there. I have a feeling the Trepidoids will be updating their site soon.....

Simon Edis Game Developer @ Ezone.com: Twitter, Game Blog

Diver Dash: iTunes Download (Free) | Official Video | TA Forum Thread | PressKit
06-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Still no update =|

I'm afraid to go mow the lawn in case I miss it again =P

back