Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 09-12-2012, 04:42 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavarotti2007 View Post
Hi Alec,
What's happened since you posted the above post until now, that has made the price be so high?
If this is an adjusted price (to show respect etc) I dread to think what the price would have been. In total to play this on my iPhone and iPad I will have to pay nearly 8. Seems a bit steep to me. After all it is just a TD game, a great one but still, 8? Very pricey for the app store.
Well, you see, it has the Name..ya know, Fieldrunners. So, therefore these developers feel like they can charge the utmost. Why do you think they didn't make it Universal, which we all know is entirely possible by any competent development team these days? cha-ching.

So, basically now you have the early adopters in the iPhone crowd, losing out for not having an iPad and not seeing the same content when all they had to do was go Universal.

Last edited by cabdog; 09-12-2012 at 04:58 PM..
Old 09-12-2012, 04:59 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Forgive me for asking but what is ERA? Or what does it stand for?
Old 09-12-2012, 05:09 PM
iPad Air 2, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergslayer69 View Post
Forgive me for asking but what is ERA? Or what does it stand for?
ERA is another tower defense:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=149510
Old 09-12-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavarotti2007 View Post
Hi Alec,
What's happened since you posted the above post until now, that has made the price be so high?
If this is an adjusted price (to show respect etc) I dread to think what the price would have been. In total to play this on my iPhone and iPad I will have to pay nearly 8. Seems a bit steep to me. After all it is just a TD game, a great one but still, 8? Very pricey for the app store.
So, the biggest change is that we've been able to see how sales for Fieldrunners 2 for iPhone are panning out. We want to keep making games, and to do that, we need to recoup our dev costs. I feel super guilty for this statement that you've posted above. Of course, we still respect our fans as much as ever. We just have to respect the business side of being iOS developers as well as the community side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabdog View Post
Sorry to say, but you couldn't be more wrong with that statment as E.R.A is the complete opposite end of anything like Kingdom Rush.
Glad to hear it! Always good to see exciting, new takes on TD. I skimmed through the video and that was my first impression. Happy to be wrong! Definitely checking this game out later tonight
Old 09-12-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabdog View Post
Well, you see, it has the Name..ya know, Fieldrunners. So, therefore these developers feel like they can charge the utmost. Why do you think they didn't make it Universal, which we all know is entirely possible by any competent development team these days? cha-ching.

So, basically now you have the early adopters in the iPhone crowd, losing out for not having an iPad and not seeing the same content when all they had to do was go Universal.
I'm personally a big fan of Universal games... but when you look at the development side of things, it is by no means a simple task, especially for a small team with limited QA support. Launching one platform at a time helps us cut down on the number of bugs that make it into a shipping build by an incredible amount. For what it's worth, I'm pretty certain that this won't even make us more money :-\ Just doing what we gotta do to release a game that we can be proud of vs a buggy mess that would probably make more money.

That's just my opinion, though, and you're more than welcome to share your own
Old 09-12-2012, 06:08 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Hey Atomic Alec

I stand behind you 100%

First, I am so grateful that you and your team put in all the time to deliver us a fieldrunners 2 of such quality.

Second, I am thankful you guys made Fieldrunners 2.

There are many games on the app store not worth more than a dollar.
There are also many developers that have no business even making games on the app store.
When a great developer like you guys, Firemint, Popcap, kiloo, Illusion Labs, Gameprom, Backflip, etc, release a game, I am always prepared for AA somewhat higher price and I am happy to pay it.

I know my money is not only buying a great game, but it's also going into R&D for more great games by very skilled developers.

Keep up the great work!
Old 09-12-2012, 06:16 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Anyone who played the first field runners should have been expecting a high price for the iPad version anyway. They milked the first one for all it's worth (-wise) with DLC, versions across all platforms (all at a high price) etc.

Personally I thought the first one was over-rated...but the second one is up there with Kingdom Rush (which has just added new levels etc) for me. Ive spent a lot of time playing it on iPhone and iPad so I'll instabuy the proper iPad version in the morning.

AtomicAlec, please don't try and justify the price point by saying how difficult the iPad conversion is....you aren't a struggling Dev bringing his first game to market. You have previously launched under a number of formats to great success. Pick whatever price point you wish but don't try to patronise us.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defard View Post
Anyone who played the first field runners should have been expecting a high price for the iPad version anyway. They milked the first one for all it's worth (-wise) with DLC, versions across all platforms (all at a high price) etc.

Personally I thought the first one was over-rated...but the second one is up there with Kingdom Rush (which has just added new levels etc) for me. Ive spent a lot of time playing it on iPhone and iPad so I'll instabuy the proper iPad version in the morning.

AtomicAlec, please don't try and justify the price point by saying how difficult the iPad conversion is....you aren't a struggling Dev bringing his first game to market. You have previously launched under a number of formats to great success. Pick whatever price point you wish but don't try to patronise us.
Thanks for your support! Definitely didn't mean to sound patronizing.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:25 PM

@AtomicAlec

Where can I find the One and a half hours of developer commentary! Option?

Last edited by Sanuku; 09-12-2012 at 06:47 PM..
Old 09-12-2012, 06:56 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicAlec View Post
I'm personally a big fan of Universal games... but when you look at the development side of things, it is by no means a simple task, especially for a small team with limited QA support. Launching one platform at a time helps us cut down on the number of bugs that make it into a shipping build by an incredible amount. For what it's worth, I'm pretty certain that this won't even make us more money :-\ Just doing what we gotta do to release a game that we can be proud of vs a buggy mess that would probably make more money.

That's just my opinion, though, and you're more than welcome to share your own
Good points man! I hope you do well with this title!