★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

How to estimate revenue in top lists

09-12-2012, 08:52 AM
How to estimate revenue in top lists

I need to make a business plan and im thinking like this.
Im gonna release 6games

2 will fail
2will be ok
1will be good
1will be great

How would this be trandlated into top ranking positions?
And estimated value during a year?
Is there a place were you can actually see this figures?

What else do i need to think about when doi g a business plan regarding the potential revenue of thenew games?
09-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Franky,

Planning for success on the app store in the games category is very similar to buying used lottery tickets that someone else has already checked if the tickets were winners or not.

Try following equation to be closer to reality. Very simple math

6 apps at 8 dollars a day x 30 days

1440,- a month that is probably too generous

STR8TS , STR8TS 6X6 , DOMINO DICE , PUZZLE DICE,
CAVEMAN TEST, 1 TO 25, SUDOKU+STR8TS, ZARTE, ABSORB WATER, YOU, TIME SHEET (PHOTO VERIFIED),Office Alarm, Travel weather, dock clock,

09-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankywhite View Post
I need to make a business plan and im thinking like this.
Im gonna release 6games

2 will fail
2will be ok
1will be good
1will be great

How would this be trandlated into top ranking positions?
And estimated value during a year?
Is there a place were you can actually see this figures?

What else do i need to think about when doi g a business plan regarding the potential revenue of thenew games?
Your chart is probably off, maybe not if you're super lucky/great at what you do.

To answer your question CSR racing was hovering between 1st and 10th top grossing on most of the App Stores and they announced making 12 million dollars per month. For 1 year, if they can hold that place, it looks something around 144 million dollars.

You can see those numbers here: http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/15/3244774/ios-csr-racing-earning-millions-monthly

You don't mention what you're currently considering as revenue sources. What you should be looking at looking at the average a game makes instead of the average a top game makes. Decide if you could live with that income as part of your business plan. If not, rethink stepping into the market.

Here's where you can start reading that info. It's old, but that part of the market hasn't changed much. http://www.tuaw.com/2011/09/29/ios-g...ake-less-than/

Looking for a writer? PM me

Game Designer of:
Family Feud Matches Gaming with a side of Matchmaking!
Family Feud 2 My First Huge Apple Feature!
Pickpawcket
And more!

Last edited by Blackharon; 09-12-2012 at 01:20 PM.
09-12-2012, 02:07 PM
I think the real challenge with the App Store isn't getting a top 10 game (especially for a given category), but actually sustaining the ranking. Most iOS games have an explosive beginning as the eager public checks out the newest stuff. After that, unless you get really lucky, you app will drop off into a handful of sells a day.

It's a little misleading to think about sales in terms of 'sales per year', when the bulk of your sales probably come in the first couple weeks, if not days.

For what it's worth, I've hit the top ~30 Arcade and top 10 RPG (both very easy feats), which amounted to a couple hundred sales per day. Both games lasted about 1-2 weeks before the sales dropped off VERY quickly.
09-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypeon View Post
For what it's worth, I've hit the top ~30 Arcade and top 10 RPG paid (both very easy feats), which amounted to a couple hundred sales per day. Both games lasted about 1-2 weeks before the sales dropped off VERY quickly.
I'm assuming you mean the paid charts in those categories? Mostly because I'm interested in these stats.

Looking for a writer? PM me

Game Designer of:
Family Feud Matches Gaming with a side of Matchmaking!
Family Feud 2 My First Huge Apple Feature!
Pickpawcket
And more!
09-12-2012, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackharon View Post
I'm assuming you mean the paid charts in those categories? Mostly because I'm interested in these stats.
Yeah, that's for paid games.
09-12-2012, 04:32 PM
thanks for the tips, Could of have been a bit optimistic

blackharon those are great links thanks a lot, csr racing killed it!
I suppose the one regarding the avarage revenue from an app is for paid app as it was from last year.

Have you seen any similar for free-to-play apps ?

Last edited by frankywhite; 09-13-2012 at 06:06 AM. Reason: wanted to stick to the questions, ranking revenue for free2play
09-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicated Puzzles View Post
Try following equation to be closer to reality. Very simple math

6 apps at 8 dollars a day x 30 days

1440,- a month that is probably too generous
I'd say so. Actual reality: I have 6 apps on the store averaging $5 a day (total, not each). Granted, one of them is a useless freebie.

SHREDD GO FAST! FREE!
Nozoku Rush Kick Math's Ass!
Critter Panic Break yer brain! FREE!
Silverfish & Silverfish MAX Hardcore arcade insanity!
Nozoku A casual game of math & logic.
More: cbox.me Twitter YouTube
09-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticBox View Post
I'd say so. Actual reality: I have 6 apps on the store averaging $5 a day (total, not each). Granted, one of them is a useless freebie.
Seriously? That can't be right. Silverfish alone should bring you more than that.
09-13-2012, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlue View Post
Seriously? That can't be right. Silverfish alone should bring you more than that.
Silverfish + Silverfish MAX sell 4-12 copies a week combined. Only game of mine that consistently sells a couple copies a day is Match Panic, but even that has had a few $0 days in the past couple months.

SHREDD GO FAST! FREE!
Nozoku Rush Kick Math's Ass!
Critter Panic Break yer brain! FREE!
Silverfish & Silverfish MAX Hardcore arcade insanity!
Nozoku A casual game of math & logic.
More: cbox.me Twitter YouTube