★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Are apps going to get more bloated because of Iphone 5 and iOS 6?

09-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Are apps going to get more bloated because of Iphone 5 and iOS 6?

I have a questions for developers,

Since the new iphone 5 is coming out with a different resolution, are game files going to increase because of this? I am talking more about games that already exist, will their updates go up considerably because of adding graphic assets for the new iphone?

I know when the retina ipad came out, a lot of universal programs went up about double in size. I wonder about how much percentage wise a typical universal app will go up to add the iphone 5 resolution.

Also, are games going to increase in game size because of iOS 6?

I sure hope the combo of updating games to iphone 5 and iOS 6 doesn't make my current file sizes much bigger. 64 gb sure isn't what it used to be...
09-12-2012, 06:49 PM
Yes, new graphical assets will need to be added if they are going to natively support the iPhone 5.

It would be nice to see some sort of segregation between the graphical resources for the universal apps. That way you can download the same app between devices but only download the appropriate graphics. Especially because some of these games are approaching the 2Gb app store limit.

09-12-2012, 06:50 PM
Being primarily a 3D developer I can't speak for the 2d guys but it won't affect the size of my apps. The iPad3 retina display is still the highest res you have to account for.

The new iPhone is just one more reason to make sure your UI / bitmap art scales to various resolutions and aspect ratios. But I think most devs were doing that already.

Jason Stark
Disparity Games
09-12-2012, 07:17 PM
I am going to the same retina assets layed out slightly different(depending on the app). But One could Use another set of sprites.
09-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Maybe, I'm off base here but doesn't the change in aspect ratio affect the look of the game? I haven't really worked in 3d but I feel that in 2d games I would want to fill that extra space with something. I don't think I can just accept my application being stretched to fit.

I've tried not to think about it but I'll most likely redo some of my background graphics to keep the look the same. I'd be surprised if we don't see a lot of games doing the same and getting larger.
09-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Apple says old apps will run in letterbox mode (using old aspect ratio) centered on screen.

Question is, how does iPhone 5 know whether to run an app in letterbox mode or not?
09-12-2012, 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devcade View Post
Apple says old apps will run in letterbox mode (using old aspect ratio) centered on screen.

Question is, how does iPhone 5 know whether to run an app in letterbox mode or not?
Can you shift the position of the letterboxes? Can you play a stretched version of the game? Will some developers allow older iphones to play the widescreen version with letterboxes?
09-13-2012, 03:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
Can you shift the position of the letterboxes? Can you play a stretched version of the game? Will some developers allow older iphones to play the widescreen version with letterboxes?
Nope, I'm sure it's always centered with black bars. I found searching on Google, to turn off letterbox mode,
you must include a splash image called Default-568h@2x.png with resolution of 640x1136.

Don't know anything else about it. Must wait until Sept 19 for iOS 6.0.
09-13-2012, 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
I don't think you can shift the letterboxes as Devcade mentioned. I have an inkling they might not let you stretch either but yeah, have to wait till iOS6 . Ah, 2 more devices to the list hey :P

Check out our upcoming game, Worm Air here (TA Forums)
Twitter: @podcubed
podcubed.com
09-13-2012, 04:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkle View Post
Yes, new graphical assets will need to be added if they are going to natively support the iPhone 5.

It would be nice to see some sort of segregation between the graphical resources for the universal apps. That way you can download the same app between devices but only download the appropriate graphics. Especially because some of these games are approaching the 2Gb app store limit.

When we designed our (upcoming) 2D game, we anticipated upcoming new devices of various new sizes, such as the retina iPad and iPhone 5. This was nine months ago.

That said, it was very easy for me to update to support the new resolution. I was able to do it this evening in a couple of hours and didn't need any new assets. It was just a question of positioning of various assets and the camera.

Naturally, this is going to vary quite a bit from game to game, so I suppose there's your answer.

RAMPS!! Previously iPhone Game of the Week on the App Store.
"... a simple and stylish physics puzzler that you won't want to put down." - Apple

COMING 10/11/12: Lotsa Blocks!

http://lotsablocks.com