Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 09-13-2012, 02:40 AM

Default Stranded: Escape White Sands

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by Echoseven; 09-17-2012 at 02:37 AM..
Old 09-13-2012, 03:54 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Looks like it has something good going on in this one. Did anyone TOFTT yet? Im not really one who's into adventure games to TOFTT for them. Adventure games, and RTS games.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:41 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Default Do NOT Purchase!

I really enjoy any kind of adventure game, and I love a good book/story. I thought this would be the perfect marriage between the two and try it since I have played every HO/point-and-click game over 350mb in the Big Fish Games library and some in the G5. Unfortunately, I paid the $.99, which isn't a big deal, but no one likes to feel as though they've been taken for a ride.
This app provides about 5 minutes of game play if it can even be called that. Each scene provides a line or two of extremely lame dialogue. After you figure out the first (easy) puzzle, you are delivered to a black screen that states, "...to be continued!" And, that is all you get. Please do not make the same mistake I did. Truly, this is the definition of highway robbery. Sad.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:25 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharontung66 View Post
I really enjoy any kind of adventure game, and I love a good book/story. I thought this would be the perfect marriage between the two and try it since I have played every HO/point-and-click game over 350mb in the Big Fish Games library and some in the G5. Unfortunately, I paid the $.99, which isn't a big deal, but no one likes to feel as though they've been taken for a ride.
This app provides about 5 minutes of game play if it can even be called that. Each scene provides a line or two of extremely lame dialogue. After you figure out the first (easy) puzzle, you are delivered to a black screen that states, "...to be continued!" And, that is all you get. Please do not make the same mistake I did. Truly, this is the definition of highway robbery. Sad.

Hi there, It's good to see you thought the game had potential however, it is disappointing to hear you did not enjoy the game.

I think your feeling of being ripped off for $0.99 is a bit harsh considering I'm a lone developer just starting out. Yes there may be a few rough edges and more puzzles needed but that can be worked on in time. Delivering the whole "Myst" experience for $0.99 probably isn't going to happen.

For a storybook adventure with great graphics for the younger audience it does serve as great value.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:48 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl-apps View Post
Hi there, It's good to see you thought the game had potential however, it is disappointing to hear you did not enjoy the game.

I think your feeling of being ripped off for $0.99 is a bit harsh considering I'm a lone developer just starting out. Yes there may be a few rough edges and more puzzles needed but that can be worked on in time. Delivering the whole "Myst" experience for $0.99 probably isn't going to happen.

For a storybook adventure with great graphics for the younger audience it does serve as great value.
It does look pretty from the screen shots. Any reason why you decided to target the younger audience when point and click adventure games is already a very niche genre?

I am not concerned about the pricing at all...but I am hesitant to invest my time on a game that may not provide a rewarding experience. I might download it sometime this weekend when I have more time at hand.

Last edited by violentv; 09-14-2012 at 02:56 AM..
Old 09-14-2012, 02:59 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by violentv View Post
It does looks pretty from the screen shots. Any reason why you decided to target the younger audience when point and click adventure games is already a very niche genre?

I am not concerned about the pricing at all...but I am hesitant to invest my time on a game that may not provide a rewarding experience. I might download it sometime this weekend when I have more time at hand.
The original concept was to make a storybook solely for youngsters to enjoy on there idevices. However, I got brave and decided to turn it into a point and tap adventure with a puzzles etc. The game is fairly well polished and I'm proud of what I have achieved but if you are a hardcore puzzle adventure fanatic then it may be below your expectation.

On a positive note I am planning an update to toughen up the puzzles and add more to balance out the story / puzzle ratio which I concede maybe lacking in some eyes.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:05 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl-apps View Post

From the sounds of things his problem wasn't quality, but rather quantity.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:20 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoseven View Post
From the sounds of things his problem wasn't quality, but rather quantity.
This is true. To be fair I wasn't expecting Stranded: Escape White Sands to be half as popular as it seems to have been. In hindsight I would have spent a few more months devising more puzzles and content. But there are always updates...
Old 09-14-2012, 03:58 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godiva View Post
maybe you could try freemium model to get better reviews. it is risky otherwise.
I could do, but I feel I don't want to have a bunch of 5star glowing reviews because my game is free. I'd rather take the risk. I don't mind bad reviews, it hurts, but as I'm learning and developing I know I will improve.

It's just nice to let people know there is an individual developer here trying to make ends meet and not a big game studio attempting highway robbery.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:00 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godiva View Post
maybe you could try freemium model to get better reviews. it is risky otherwise.
I think the opposite, i think the vast majority of people here cant stand freemium, as someone else above said, its not about the quality which looks great, more like the quantity as it seems a bit short.