Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-13-2012, 02:40 AM
TouchArcade Bot TouchArcade Bot is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 0
Default Stranded: Escape White Sands






Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by Echoseven; 09-17-2012 at 02:37 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-13-2012, 03:54 AM
Exact-Psience Exact-Psience is offline
Senior Member
iPad Air, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 16,532
Default

Looks like it has something good going on in this one. Did anyone TOFTT yet? Im not really one who's into adventure games to TOFTT for them. Adventure games, and RTS games.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Sharontung66 Sharontung66 is offline
Senior Member
iPad 2, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 129
Default Do NOT Purchase!

I really enjoy any kind of adventure game, and I love a good book/story. I thought this would be the perfect marriage between the two and try it since I have played every HO/point-and-click game over 350mb in the Big Fish Games library and some in the G5. Unfortunately, I paid the $.99, which isn't a big deal, but no one likes to feel as though they've been taken for a ride.
This app provides about 5 minutes of game play if it can even be called that. Each scene provides a line or two of extremely lame dialogue. After you figure out the first (easy) puzzle, you are delivered to a black screen that states, "...to be continued!" And, that is all you get. Please do not make the same mistake I did. Truly, this is the definition of highway robbery. Sad.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-14-2012, 02:25 AM
cl-apps cl-apps is offline
Junior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharontung66 View Post
I really enjoy any kind of adventure game, and I love a good book/story. I thought this would be the perfect marriage between the two and try it since I have played every HO/point-and-click game over 350mb in the Big Fish Games library and some in the G5. Unfortunately, I paid the $.99, which isn't a big deal, but no one likes to feel as though they've been taken for a ride.
This app provides about 5 minutes of game play if it can even be called that. Each scene provides a line or two of extremely lame dialogue. After you figure out the first (easy) puzzle, you are delivered to a black screen that states, "...to be continued!" And, that is all you get. Please do not make the same mistake I did. Truly, this is the definition of highway robbery. Sad.

Hi there, It's good to see you thought the game had potential however, it is disappointing to hear you did not enjoy the game.

I think your feeling of being ripped off for $0.99 is a bit harsh considering I'm a lone developer just starting out. Yes there may be a few rough edges and more puzzles needed but that can be worked on in time. Delivering the whole "Myst" experience for $0.99 probably isn't going to happen.

For a storybook adventure with great graphics for the younger audience it does serve as great value.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-14-2012, 02:48 AM
violentv violentv is offline
Senior Member
iPad 2, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl-apps View Post
Hi there, It's good to see you thought the game had potential however, it is disappointing to hear you did not enjoy the game.

I think your feeling of being ripped off for $0.99 is a bit harsh considering I'm a lone developer just starting out. Yes there may be a few rough edges and more puzzles needed but that can be worked on in time. Delivering the whole "Myst" experience for $0.99 probably isn't going to happen.

For a storybook adventure with great graphics for the younger audience it does serve as great value.
It does look pretty from the screen shots. Any reason why you decided to target the younger audience when point and click adventure games is already a very niche genre?

I am not concerned about the pricing at all...but I am hesitant to invest my time on a game that may not provide a rewarding experience. I might download it sometime this weekend when I have more time at hand.

Last edited by violentv; 09-14-2012 at 02:56 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-14-2012, 02:59 AM
cl-apps cl-apps is offline
Junior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by violentv View Post
It does looks pretty from the screen shots. Any reason why you decided to target the younger audience when point and click adventure games is already a very niche genre?

I am not concerned about the pricing at all...but I am hesitant to invest my time on a game that may not provide a rewarding experience. I might download it sometime this weekend when I have more time at hand.
The original concept was to make a storybook solely for youngsters to enjoy on there idevices. However, I got brave and decided to turn it into a point and tap adventure with a puzzles etc. The game is fairly well polished and I'm proud of what I have achieved but if you are a hardcore puzzle adventure fanatic then it may be below your expectation.

On a positive note I am planning an update to toughen up the puzzles and add more to balance out the story / puzzle ratio which I concede maybe lacking in some eyes.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-14-2012, 03:05 AM
Echoseven Echoseven is offline
Moderator
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The red Skittle
Posts: 4,949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl-apps View Post
Hi there, It's good to see you thought the game had potential however, it is disappointing to hear you did not enjoy the game.

I think your feeling of being ripped off for $0.99 is a bit harsh considering I'm a lone developer just starting out. Yes there may be a few rough edges and more puzzles needed but that can be worked on in time. Delivering the whole "Myst" experience for $0.99 probably isn't going to happen.

For a storybook adventure with great graphics for the younger audience it does serve as great value.
From the sounds of things his problem wasn't quality, but rather quantity.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-14-2012, 03:20 AM
cl-apps cl-apps is offline
Junior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoseven View Post
From the sounds of things his problem wasn't quality, but rather quantity.
This is true. To be fair I wasn't expecting Stranded: Escape White Sands to be half as popular as it seems to have been. In hindsight I would have spent a few more months devising more puzzles and content. But there are always updates...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-14-2012, 03:58 AM
cl-apps cl-apps is offline
Junior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godiva View Post
maybe you could try freemium model to get better reviews. it is risky otherwise.
I could do, but I feel I don't want to have a bunch of 5star glowing reviews because my game is free. I'd rather take the risk. I don't mind bad reviews, it hurts, but as I'm learning and developing I know I will improve.

It's just nice to let people know there is an individual developer here trying to make ends meet and not a big game studio attempting highway robbery.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-14-2012, 04:00 AM
psj3809 psj3809 is offline
Moderator
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: England
Posts: 8,919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godiva View Post
maybe you could try freemium model to get better reviews. it is risky otherwise.
I think the opposite, i think the vast majority of people here cant stand freemium, as someone else above said, its not about the quality which looks great, more like the quantity as it seems a bit short.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent