Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

View Poll Results: Will you be buying the iPhone 5?
Yes - I will be upgrading from my iPhone 4S 5 9.62%
Yes - I will be upgrading from my iPhone 4 16 30.77%
Yes - I will be upgrading from my iPhone 3GS (or older model) 4 7.69%
Yes - I will be upgrading from my current Samsung/Nokia/Blackberry/etc Phone 2 3.85%
No - I will not be buying the iPhone 5; i'm happy with my iPhone 4S 6 11.54%
No - I will not be buying the iPhone 5; i'm happy with my iPhone 4 7 13.46%
No - I will not be buying the iPhone 5; i'm happy with my iPhone 3GS (or older model) 2 3.85%
No - I will not be buying the iPhone 5; i'm happy with my current Samsung/Nokia/Blackberry/etc Phone 10 19.23%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2012, 02:48 PM
iPhone 3G, iOS 4.x

iPhone 5 will be a graduation gift for me (class of 13) and the best MacBook pro 15 inch 2011 version because it has a cd port. :P
Old 09-13-2012, 03:11 PM
iPod Touch (2nd Gen), OS 4.x

iPhones are really expensive where they are sold out of contracts, Apple knows that very well and for PpL like us, they have the iPod touch, contract less, lesser specs but latest iOS.

I have the iPod touch 2g & I don't think i'll buy another iPod ever...
originally, the 2 year contract & upgrade was not being accepted but now a days, a one year wait is a huge thing! we know that no technology is future proof but we are still not satisfied with what the best thing is today...

I wanna buy a samsung focus 2 as it has a memory card slot & a secondary camera & will upgrade to win 7.8, but it is not available in my country, the nokia lumia 920 is too much for a phone of my choice, but I guess i'll have to wait for an entry range phone with dual camera, memory card slot is a good thing for a long run
Old 09-13-2012, 04:15 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

I'll be getting the 5S when it comes out next year. My contracts up next December.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

I'll upgrade to the 5, but not for a while since my contract is still far away which is May 2013, so probably at that time I will switch. Unless of course something drastic changes.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:19 AM
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.x

I ordered one through contract for myself and 2 through apple for possible resell. I realize I'll make maybe $240 in total reselling them, so I'm not sure if it's worth the headache.

I don't want to deal with eBay, if I can at all help it. Locally is better.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:07 AM

My contract doesn't end until July 2013 but even if I could upgrade now, I wouldn't. Most UK networks won't be able support iPhone 5 until next year.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:12 AM
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by {:L.S:} View Post
My contract doesn't end until July 2013 but even if I could upgrade now, I wouldn't. Most UK networks won't be able support iPhone 5 until next year.
Might as well wait then until the next release. Or get the 5 next year when it drops in price.

I don't think I could wait though. My camera has been acting up and I've been terribly jealous of people that have the 4s

7 days will never feel so long!! And I can't believe I can't even get down the damn stairs, I'm going to have to figure out some brilliant plan out
Old 09-14-2012, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsoitgoes View Post
Might as well wait then until the next release. Or get the 5 next year when it drops in price.

I don't think I could wait though. My camera has been acting up and I've been terribly jealous of people that have the 4s

7 days will never feel so long!! And I can't believe I can't even get down the damn stairs, I'm going to have to figure out some brilliant plan out
I couldn't wait to get my first iPhone (iPhone 4 that I have now) had I waited just a bit longer I could have got the 4S.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:06 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

My contract is up, and my iPhone 4 display is cracked. But for me it's between the Note 2 & iPhone 5. I'm totally bored with the iPhone but it's functional. I like the 'touch up' on design and the maps in conjunction with TomTom look good. Time will tell if it's as good as Google Maps though.

The Note 2 is a ridiculous size, but I'm far more excited by it. Using an S3, I feel like Android has a lot more to offer over the somewhat stale rows of tiles you get with ios. For all Apples talk of 'Retina' (maximum points for the name) I much prefer the Super Amoleds.. the colours pop, perhaps some over saturation but I love it.

I'll wait until I can try them both to be sure.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:04 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionwebs View Post
If one has an iPhone 4 or 4s already, finds that it does the job well then the iPhone 5 is a waste of money, considering a 5s/iPhone 6 will be out next year, then another upgrade after that and so on.

An a6 processor won't make much of a difference to iPhone gamers either. Sensible Developers will always program for the common denominator.

The occasional high graphic game that comes out which pushes the system to its limit won't be worth the few dollars or pounds relative to the cost purchase price of the hardware itself. In regards to the ammount of time entertainment said games will provide.

Infinity blade dungeons by the way, is optimised for the iPad 3 supposedly as the game was finished earlier in the year. It will probably still run acceptably on an iPhone 4 the developers will want to reach a mass market.

As for me personally, I will actually be programming properly for ios from this year alongside my university dissertation (which will also be apple programming)
And I see absolutely no reason to get involved with the fuss of a new shiny device. Just going to program for where the main market is at in relation to what I want to acheive and this will most certainly not be an iPhone 5 demographic.

I think apples new versioning is about "keep them mean and keep them keen". The only real reason to upgrade is after 2-3 years post to the model one currently has when apple and affiliated companies will drop out support.

Take snow leopard and mountain lion for example. If snow leopard does what is needed then stay with that and don't pay the extra to upgrade, what's the point? I did upgrade to mountain lion later than most (thankfully!) and only because there was a specific feature I wanted, which actually could have been implemented in the previous operating system but that is just apples profiteering at work.

Which leads to another example, early adopters for the majority of products are bitten hard and people who sit and wait will get the benefits of bug fixes, feature extensions... So on.

I can't wait to start doing all this proper programming (my curnt app doesn't count, did that in 30 minutes) and showing that it's not just about bling and flashies. Of course I'm not going to say what I'm working on though.

The moral of the wall of text is, don't rush to upgrade. No point!

Unless one doesn't have an iPhone at all, then go for it.
Makes sense, I like you