★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: "Jetpack Junkie" Can you become a legend?"

09-14-2012, 12:35 PM
"Jetpack Junkie" Can you become a legend?"

iTunes Link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jetpack-junkie/id548474221?mt=8

TIME TO TAKE BACK YOUR CITY! It’s the year 2035 – Metropolis has been taken over by an alien force! The Human Resistance must locate the enemy weapons to take back their beloved city. Alien tech jams all sensors, so they created Recon Runners to map the city. A few became legends and they were known as Jetpack Junkies.

Do you have what it takes to move up the command chain and become a Jetpack Junkie?

Features

★ Addicting “play just one more time” endless gameplay
★ Upgrade crazy powerups by collecting coins
★ Unlock all 5 characters
★ Game Center Leaderboards to compete with your friends
★ Simple smooth tilt and touch controls
★ Gorgeous full 3D environment
★ Customize game play
★ Level up to become a legend!

Youtube link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwU610eFaEk

Thank you,

Team RocketPop

09-14-2012, 12:59 PM
The YouTube video looks very cool,but the name is to close to another Jetpack game we all know.
09-14-2012, 12:59 PM

Looks like there a slew of good-looking runners lately... Infinite Warrior, Blood Roofs, God Of Blades (upcoming), and now this!

I hope this plays well.

Downloading now... Imps later.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
09-14-2012, 01:17 PM
I have the game installed and after I opened the app, i checked the "runners" button. It has a button inside that lets you download more runners for free, so i guess that's good, but im not sure why the separate download to unlock them.

Will update this post with imps in a bit.

EDIT: Ok... WTF did i just play?

Lets see... Controls are Tilt to move left and right, and tap to use jetpack. No other options. The tilt is fine, but there's an invisible wall on the left and right of the road that you can use only the middle part of it. There is no Jump, only Jetpack. That means you tap, and you jump like 2 inches off the ground.

Graphics are shoddy, but the animations are smooth. Looks like your character is floating when he is running as there arent any shadows on the ground.

Sounds... cant say much about the sounds as starting the game and playing it made me forget im supposed to take note of things, including sound.

Gameplay. I thought this was going to be a free-lane runner similar to Blood Roofs system where you can just move left and right freely. Well, it is similar to that in that regard, but the invisible walls limit the horizontal space you can maneuver into. Why the invisible barrier on the road? why not at the edge of the road?

There are pickups floating high up in the air which replenish your jetpack meter, and sometimes there are coins... Sometimes. I guess it encourages you to use jetpack more often. The other way they encourage using the jetpack is that the ground is too crowded with too much obstacles that just drain your health away if you dont use jetpack.

There's a lot going on on the ground and in the air which is good, but it looks too cluttered and messy rather than be strategically-placed obstacles. There are turrets that shoot rockets at you, and aircraft that shoot down at you.

The worst part is that I counted the number of runs I did, and i did 10 runs total. And I got 126 coins total. The lowest upgrade requires 500. Im sure higher level upgrades will need more to purchase. Oh, and the characters I downloaded, still need to be unlocked, and the cheapest character is at 25000 coins.

Having said those, there is IAP. $0.99 for 2500 coins, $4.99 for 25000, $9.99 for 75000, and $19.99 for 200000 coins.

$5 to unlock the first cheapest character? The rest of the characters are priced at 35000 coins to unlock by the way.

So yeah... Deleted. The concept is definitely good, but the execution doesnt have it.

I just cant recommend this one. Sorry.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword

Last edited by Exact-Psience; 09-14-2012 at 01:42 PM.
09-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Hi Exact-Psience!

Thanks for the post - the runners are a separate download for a few reasons. First is to make the game be downloadable as quick as we can over 3G... And secondly if we get good response we might try to add new free runners for our players without requiring a patch or in-app purchase to get them. Hope you enjoy the game as much as we do

EDIT: Responding to initial play through comments

Thanks for the reply on Jetpack Junkie!
During our beta testing, we learned that most players were getting many more coins per run with a little practice. On average most players were getting over 100 coins per minute. The further you fly, the faster it goes - increasing your coin pickups... Sorry to hear you deleted it. However we appreciate you taking the time play our new game! We feel the game gives hours of fun.

Quick tip, the game is more of a flyer than a runner. By strategically upgrading your character, you can go much farther in the game.

Sincerely,
RocketPop Games

Last edited by RocketPop Games; 09-14-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: updated for new comments from OP
09-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Jetpack Junkie is a "Flying runner"

We are in development of a better tutorial and also a few other awesome features we cant wait for everyone to see.

We appreciate everyone's feedback and thank you for the great reviews. Please let us know if you would like to join our beta team for all the games we have in development.

More to come!

Team RocketPop

Last edited by RocketPop Games; 09-17-2012 at 08:52 PM.