★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Chess with friends - Free again?

11-26-2008, 05:32 PM
Chess with friends - Free again?

Chess With Friends was free for its initial debut a couple weeks ago, then quickly defaulted to its official price of 4.99 after the first 1000 people acquired it. Now it seems to be free once again.

Not sure if this is a black Friday sale or not as there is no information regarding it in the app info as of yet. If you were interested in it before and didn't buy it yet, now would be a good time to grab it.

To fill those in who haven't read up on it, it is a multiplayer chess game that relies on asynchronous play. Seems like a cool concept that a few games are taking advantage of (also see Aurora Faint II : The Arena).

"Chess With Friends is a multiplayer chess game that allows you to play Chess “asynchronously” against other across the world. Once you make a move, the other player will see your move the next time they log into the application. "

http://toucharcade.com/2008/11/14/ch...-limited-time/

If this has already been covered, then I apologize.
11-26-2008, 05:36 PM
I never felt like buying a chess app, so this one sufficed, but I would I've never bought it for $5. Games are too slow, and I probably have 20 games in my list with only about 3 active players. I guess it's worth a look if it's free, but I don't really think it's worth a purchase if it ever goes back to $5

11-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisking1o1 View Post
I never felt like buying a chess app, so this one sufficed, but I would I've never bought it for $5. Games are too slow, and I probably have 20 games in my list with only about 3 active players. I guess it's worth a look if it's free, but I don't really think it's worth a purchase if it ever goes back to $5
Agreed its definitely not worth 5$ but its enjoyable from time to time

"Insert generic signature here"
11-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Send a message via AIM to istopmotion Send a message via MSN to istopmotion
Thanks a ton for the heads up I wanted a chess app, but they're all expensive and I don't know which is best

Please follow me on Twitter!
I LOVE all Guitar Hero/Rock Band games. Gamertag is 'istopmotion' Add me if you want a challenge
11-26-2008, 07:04 PM
Chess with friends is good.

BUT REMEMBER you cannot play the computer. You must play with someone online. The unquiness is the ability to play move by move and keep the game going in the cloud, till you wish to move again.

I've found that is GOOD and BAD. Some people start the game with you and never come back to continue their game with you.

The game is now on FREE forever status.

Last edited by networkman; 11-26-2008 at 07:29 PM.
11-26-2008, 07:36 PM
Great idea but poor execution. I understand the purpose, but there still has to be a limit before a game gets deleted. I'm thinking 48-72 hours to make a move, unless both players opt out because they know one another. I already deleted this app, because I didn't feel like starting one more game with someone who is not going to really play or who is going to disappear 6 moves in.
11-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Chess is boring in real life as well as in the intra-webs. I say Chess With Friends is not my friend...
11-28-2008, 05:44 AM
I've just noticed that there's another chess game that is currently being offered for free:
Cyber Chess Ultimate Online Chess

Like Chess With Friends, this one supports online opponents, but it also allows you to play against the computer, something that Chess with Friends doesn't offer.

They say it's free for one day only, so best check it now if you're interested...

• Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond YnthParachute PanicChicken Raid
• Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox