★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

$50k earned on the App Store

09-15-2012, 08:40 AM
$50k earned on the App Store

Today, my Apps’ income just past over $50000. It’s a nice threshold that many tiny developer like me will never reach but it took me almost two years to reach that amount (I’m only talking about Apps that I am self-publishing on the App store). So, I’m not sure if I should be happy or sad. As far as I am concerned this is a failure. A game like Jump Birdy Jump should have bring something like $200k at least (yep, it is that good). But unfortunately, it didn’t get the attention it deserved from the press or Apple (it was only feature in some tiny App store). Luckily, I don’t just rely on the app store and never stop my PC casual game business. I’ll carry on creating game for this wonderful platform but I’ll probably spend less time on it. If you are starting as an indie developer, make sure to pick up a cross-platform engine, so you can get as many streams of income as possible (like I do). Or you’ll be gambling too much.

JC
09-15-2012, 10:14 AM
Hi Ovogame,

I'm working on my first game and if I could pass $50,000 in two years, I wouldn't call that a failure whatsoever. To me that's amazing but I'm sure once I'm more established, I won't be saying that. Did you do any marketing on your part or did you just leave it up to chance? If you did market, what channels did you use?

Jared Martin
http://www.facebook.com/obscenemedia

09-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Awesome!
09-15-2012, 12:23 PM
Gratz that's a nice achievement!
It's nice to see that such numbers are possible with more mainstream games.
09-15-2012, 12:30 PM
I've reached a point of considering Mac and PC deployments as becoming more attractive than iOS. How would someone like me handle payments? I guess the Mac AppStore and Steam would be the places to aim for...would probably get some visibility too.

50K is a good job if it funds a bigger project (even the security of survival is nice), plus allows you such luxuries as private transport! But it's all relative and we all want to step up I agree.

The iOS 'feature' corner is an art form in itself. I need to look back at when the day my first app was released, then avoid that day like the plague: It made N&N for like 2-3 HOURS...stuff like that is life changing tbh.

Guess what we have earned in these 2 years is precious developer experience.

Web: www.zenout.co.uk
Follow: @zenoutJez
Developer: BubbleSand Tetroms (Attic Eyes...Soon!)
AppStore search string: "Jez Hammond"
09-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenout View Post
I've reached a point of considering Mac and PC deployments as becoming more attractive than iOS. How would someone like me handle payments? I guess the Mac AppStore and Steam would be the places
YES!

Only bad sides... steam might not take you...
and MAS sales are mostly really low when I talk to most devs on there
like 1/10th that of ios in general.

YMMV of course
09-15-2012, 04:22 PM
How much of an issue is this GreenLight thing? Ovogame's suggestion about multi-platform sounds appealing. Plus apparently essential, again relatively.

I guess what I mean is: Are the voters as bad as some of the raters we know! Is the system policed to prevent unscrupulous types. Sorry going off topic a little. Just wondering if this issue of 25K/turnover is global to platforms? (sounds ok for startups)

Web: www.zenout.co.uk
Follow: @zenoutJez
Developer: BubbleSand Tetroms (Attic Eyes...Soon!)
AppStore search string: "Jez Hammond"
09-16-2012, 01:20 AM
Jump Birdy Jump is an awesome game, I would have thought it did better than that.
09-16-2012, 06:13 AM
Agreed. I really enjoy the game.
09-16-2012, 08:39 AM
Do you have any plans to make something other than a puzzle game? I think the store is over saturated with puzzle games.

The McBunBuns have stolen Granny Lala's Coins!!! Can Lucky, her faithful puppy, bring them all back?Balloon Loons

Online: http://balloon-loons.com