★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone 3.0 >= PSPGo?

06-10-2009, 11:37 AM
iPhone 3.0 >= PSPGo?

OS 3.0 allows peripheral hardware to interact with apps, so the thought ocurred that Sony may have unintentionally shown us where the iPhone could go.

If the development community could agree an "industry standard" mapping of iPhone inputs to traditional controls (e.g. accelerometer to analog stick) and 3rd party controller makers implemented it consistently then we'd have something that looks a lot like this:

What do you think?
06-10-2009, 11:45 AM
If it weren't for the Monster Hunter Freedom Series...my PSP would be non existent as it is right now collecting dust until Monster Hunter Freedom Unite drops in a couple weeks...

Hope you liked my answer!!!

06-10-2009, 11:48 AM
Gamepad for iPhone
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=7774

Youtube link | Pop Up

Four most influential games: Papi Jump, iDracula, Fieldrunners, Flight Control.
06-10-2009, 01:45 PM
... if the gamepad ever comes out

Really guys, I mean stop. You can't compare these two devices. One is a multimedia player that happens to play games. The other is a game device that happens to play media. Each were made with different goals in mind. Stop living a delusional fantasy where Apple takes over the entire electronics market. Nothing beats a dedicated gaming device.
06-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Send a message via AIM to dogmeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamazar View Post

Nothing beats a dedicated gaming device.
The iphone does...

I've had DS and PSP since they came out and I've logged more hours of play on my iPhone that i've only had since last oct.

the day of portable consoles is coming to an end, and a new era of tri-quarters is arriving.

Artist | Designer
@PixelDogmeat
06-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmeat View Post
The iphone does...

I've had DS and PSP since they came out and I've logged more hours of play on my iPhone that i've only had since last oct.

the day of portable consoles is coming to an end, and a new era of tri-quarters is arriving.
What he's trying to say is that a dedicated gaming system will still outsell/outcompete a multimedia device that happens to play games. Sure, the iPhone has games, but you have to consider the length of each and what demographics it applies to. The PSP and DS are the real holders of the handheld gaming market with the DS pulling ahead. They have longer games and (go ahead and call me an idiot) higher quality games mainly because they have big-name devs constantly churning out games. EA does a lot of handheld system games but not many iPhone games.

I'm a staff editor at GamePodunk.com. Follow me on Twitter (@HLLivingLoco) for games and fun!
06-10-2009, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHrox View Post
What he's trying to say is that a dedicated gaming system will still outsell/outcompete a multimedia device that happens to play games. Sure, the iPhone has games, but you have to consider the length of each and what demographics it applies to. The PSP and DS are the real holders of the handheld gaming market with the DS pulling ahead. They have longer games and (go ahead and call me an idiot) higher quality games mainly because they have big-name devs constantly churning out games. EA does a lot of handheld system games but not many iPhone games.
Agreed, dogmeat is just dreaming
And don't feel bad about saying that the PSP and DS have high quality games, because they do have great games like zelda, metal gear solid, final fantasy crisis core, new super mario, and the list goes on and on, plus with the addition of a gamepad these gaming consoles are much better than the buttonless iPhone, the iPhone is great for quick 5 minute bursts of gaming, where as the psp and DS is what I take on a long plane or car ride.
And if you hack your PSP btw you can play games like super mario 64

EDIT: I noticed that the icontrol pad blog hasn't been updated since January 20th 2009, are you sure it is going to come out? And even with the controlpad the quake game is running with delays but quake on the psp runs full speed and you can add background music of your choice onto it

Last edited by mofard; 06-10-2009 at 02:01 PM.
06-10-2009, 02:03 PM
I really hope they don't release an attatchable gaming pad. The iDevice isn't a gaming device, it's a multimedia platform, and there's no need for it to conform to Sony's or Nintendo's design since it adds a unique feature to gaming the other two can't offer right now: exclusive touch screen gameplay.

/sarcasm
06-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmeat View Post
The iphone does...

Whoa whoa whoa, just caught that. I don't honestly think portable consoles are coming to an end yet. That'll be when dolphins develop jetpacks and monkeys start taking over the world. While the iPhone is a strong competitor, mofard hit right what I was tryting to say; the iPhone is not a so-called powerplay system. It is played in short bursts. Now, if a game such as Zelda came along, I could see a shift in the general concept of iPod games, but we all know that Nintendo isn't allowing Apple to get one of it's larger properties. Even a game such as Carjack Streets didn't hold my attanetion for more than a few minutes. Yet Kamazar was right on the money with regards to what he said earlier; the iPod is a music/video system, not a gaming platform. Thatw as more of an extra feature. Gaming is the entire purpose ofthe DS and PSP. Both have the ability to play other multimedia, but that's not the focus.

I'm a staff editor at GamePodunk.com. Follow me on Twitter (@HLLivingLoco) for games and fun!
06-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDubby94 View Post
I really hope they don't release an attatchable gaming pad. The iDevice isn't a gaming device, it's a multimedia platform, and there's no need for it to conform to Sony's or Nintendo's design since it adds a unique feature to gaming the other two can't offer right now: exclusive touch screen gameplay.
Apple won't because they are not developing the icontrolpad, but if you think about it lots of games like hero of sparta and assassin's creed use sometimes faulty virtual dpads, even though the dpads are on the touchscreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHrox View Post
the iPhone is not a so-called powerplay system.
yes, and that is evident in the short battery life too compared to the DS and PSP

Last edited by mofard; 06-10-2009 at 02:11 PM.