★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: The ad-free version of Disguise It!

Can you hide the obvious from your friends? Can you see what they've hidden from you?

Disguise It allows you to stump your friends with only the touch of a finger! Try and hide one of our many custom-drawn images from your friends, and find out if you can see through their disguise!

Play with your friends turn-based style!

Invite your friends from Facebook!

Game Center leaderboard and achievements!

Custom-drawn images and original music!

Push notifications to alert you of your turn!

(Official iPad version coming soon!)

**Note: an internet connection and current app version is required for online play.**

nevodev's comments:
Hello!

I would like to introduce my company's first indie game: Disguise It! Disguise It was developed by my team: Byron Towles (graphics), Jonathan Mosesman (music), and myself, John Mosesman (coding).

Disguise It is a turn-based, competitive drawing game with a twist. Instead of trying to draw an image for the other player, your goal is to hide the image from them by drawing over it! Your opponent then has to figure out which image has been disguised from a list of five possible images. If your disguise is successful, you earn points. But if your opponent guesses which image you've hidden, they earn the points and an opportunity to trace the original image for bonus points! After the round is over, the roles are reversed.

Here's our app trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6l8Qycpfq4

Screenshots:

iTunes links:
99 cents - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/disguise-it/id541742764?ls=1&mt=8
free - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/disguise-it-free/id554885143?mt=8

Here's some promo codes for the paid version. Let me know if you use them so I can mark them off!

3LAAYWTFLARY
FFLYH9FXEHRN
FJT9WTLKLXLN - used
H3M3THX37REL - used
3776FE66L699

Nvo Development, LLC
09-16-2012, 09:19 PM
Took H3M3THX37REL. Will give impressions once I try it. Thanks.
09-16-2012, 10:08 PM
- played a pass and play with a local player for one round
- played a pass and play with a local player for three rounds
- clicked on choose random game, it said it would find me a game, has not notified me of one yet
- looked into starting an online game, but didn't want to initiate one, so didn't

Gameplay:
- you get 5 words that you then choose which to play with
- you are presented with a line drawing of the word
- you have limited amount of ink to use to cover up and disguise the drawing
- you can open a tab to the left to choose options such as width of pencil, erase, and to look back at the word choices
- then click on done
- other person now has to guess the word from a list of words

Overall:
- it's okay but too easy because you are given 5 words to choose from, it's pretty easy to guess what the drawing used to be (example: the word list I am currently playing with are: marker, basketball, knife, axe, fence - as you can see, pretty different items)
- the only way I can think of disguising and winning this way is if you were given "knife", to draw over it and making it look like you are trying to disguise a "marker" or "axe" in another drawing
- after you guess it right (20points), you have to trace the original drawing to get bonus points (ie. 15% traced correctly=3points). This is frustrating, because it is not easy to trace with your finger, but the bonus points will probably determine the winner since you should both guess the word right

Other suggestions:
- when it is your turn to guess, it takes quite a while to load up as the screen says "setting up"
- to start the game initially, you have to register with a username (no problem), but also a valid email address (not cool, did it anyways since I took a promo code and said I would post impressions), would prefer auto sign in with game center
- in my opinion, I would rather have the left slide out panel (with the options), permanently open, with the "back" button as the bottom option. This would have a slightly smaller surface to draw on, but it would be less annoying switching open and closing the tab for no apparent reason
- also when guessing the word, it would be preferable that the word choices were on the side all the time, instead of having to slide the left panel open then choosing "words", which covers up the drawing
- I also worry about how many words are included (same as when draw something started and you kept getting duplicates)
--> How about when it is time to guess, you get one chance to type in your guess (without looking at a word list), and if you get it right, you get 30 or 50 points. If you get it wrong then you get the list of 5 words

Overall, I believe there is potential here, but the interface is a tad bit non-intuitive and the game itself a bit simplistic. Is this game worth $1? That will depend on how much you enjoy(ed) Draw Something and if a community gets behind it so you have someone to play.

I'm still going to play it for a couple more days, hopefully vs someone online, and come back and give more impressions if my experience changes.
09-16-2012, 10:15 PM
Took code FJT9WTLKLXLN . Thanks!
09-17-2012, 11:49 AM
Tastyfish,

Thank you for playing and for your feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastyfish View Post
the only way I can think of disguising and winning this way is if you were given "knife", to draw over it and making it look like you are trying to disguise a "marker" or "axe" in another drawing
That's what a lot of players seem to be doing. Drawing many or all of the words to make what is actually there indistinguishable and therefore disguised

Quote:
to start the game initially, you have to register with a username (no problem), but also a valid email address (not cool, did it anyways since I took a promo code and said I would post impressions), would prefer auto sign in with game center
This is something we'd like to implement soon using GC or even FB login. We asked for an email address so you could request to change your password if you forgot it (since other players or you may want to log in/out).

Quote:
- in my opinion, I would rather have the left slide out panel (with the options), permanently open, with the "back" button as the bottom option. This would have a slightly smaller surface to draw on, but it would be less annoying switching open and closing the tab for no apparent reason
Could you explain more about what you mean here?

Quote:
- also when guessing the word, it would be preferable that the word choices were on the side all the time, instead of having to slide the left panel open then choosing "words", which covers up the drawing

--> How about when it is time to guess, you get one chance to type in your guess (without looking at a word list), and if you get it right, you get 30 or 50 points. If you get it wrong then you get the list of 5 words
The placement of the words was something we looked at a lot. We could never find something we were happy with visually with the size of the text vs word length, but we're still thinking on it.

I do like the idea of just having to flat guess for a higher point value, and then maybe earning less points once you look at the list? I think that is what you're saying. We originally had the word list because guessing from 125+ images when someone decided to be a jerk and just black out the screen would not be very fun. But I think this could be good!

Thank you again for your time.
John