★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: iSamurai: Two Player Sword Fight.

06-10-2009, 09:20 PM
iSamurai: Two Player Sword Fight.

Hi there,
iSamurai is out.

So I guess they provided at least 2 promo codes per tester...

Link:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=315319246&mt=8

Waiting for a video demonstration of it. I don't feel like to TOFTT, I was disappointed by similar games (tennis and stuff like that), even if it sounds like one step upper than other apps.

Last edited by Spotlight; 06-10-2009 at 09:40 PM.
06-10-2009, 09:34 PM
I'll post a screenshot of the App Store description soon.
Let me take my time. I'll edit my message.

Edited.

Last edited by Spotlight; 06-10-2009 at 09:41 PM.

06-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chukwuka13 View Post
wats the secret
Well...the "secret" is that this application lets you fight against your friend, whether or not you're excited for this...
06-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Online or do you have to be on the same wifi network?

Add me on Plus/OpenFeint/Gamecenter/Crystal: redsoxsrule424
Moderator at Com2uS' forums: http://global.com2us.com/forums
Moderator in IMO: [-MD-]soxrock424 in Siras, on Wadangka!
06-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Ok. I TOFTT. Just bought it. It finally got released in the US Store.

Gonna try it out for a bit. I'll post a review real soon.

GameCenter: xVietx - Add me
Sorry, I'm dead.
06-10-2009, 10:41 PM
Can't wait to hear more about how it plays. Let us know.
06-10-2009, 10:57 PM
Ok. Just did a quick run through of the game. Here's my thoughts.

It's interface and menu is very well done and the artwork looks great. It has a Two-Player mode where you hook up with someone in the same network. A single-Player mode where you can face against a Peasant, Apprentice, Warrior, or Samurai. A Training Room. A Tutorial. And there is also a menu feature called 'Art of War' which contains various quotes about war, fighting, etc. from Sun Tzu, and a guy named Miyamoto Musashi. There's only 7 total quotes though. A rather short collection but the quotes themselves are good. They're taken from Sun Tzu's 'Art of War' and Miyamoto Musashi's 'The Book of Five Rings'.

The Two-Player mode is actually surprisingly well-done. You go into a lobby-sort of thing where your iPod or iPhone detects other iPhone and iPod's on the same network. You connect to them and you both go to a screen that allows you to fight or surrender. As you fight, it actually responds very well to your swings. As far as I can tell, it actually senses the direction of your swings correctly. The sound effects while you're fighting are so-so. The clangs when your two 'swords' meet sound realistic while the grunts and yells emitting from the iPhone or iPod Touch could use a little bit of work but they're fine nonetheless. The character's also say some 'catchphrases' throughout the fight as well. As you're fighting, a picture of your "opponent" shows up which is basically a still picture of a cartoon samurai but it's drawn very well and detailed nonetheless. After one person wins, it takes you to a screen that shows Hits taken and Hits dealt.

The single-player mode is good but not very fun or realistic. The reason for this is because you're just swinging at air since it's impossible for you to fight against a real-life person so all you can do is swing your iPhone and iPod Touch around madly and pray to win. Similar to Two-Player mode, it has a still picture of your opponent on the screen which is very well done.

The sound effects when you tap menu buttons are based on the swinging of a sword and all in all, it sounds good.

Final Review

Interface: 4/5
Sound: 3.5/5
Innovation: 4/5
Gameplay: 4/5 (When playing against a real-life opponent)
Replayability: 3.5/5 (You get tired very quickly and you'll never wanna to play against a computer. It just doesn't work that way. The game centers entirely upon two-player mode)
Final Score(not an average): 4/5

And there you have it. It's on sale for $0.99. Regular price is $2.99. Better get it now if it appeals to you. (:

Sorry, I'm dead.
06-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xVietx View Post

The single-player mode is good but not very fun or realistic. The reason for this is because you're just swinging at air since it's impossible for you to fight against a real-life person so all you can do is swing your iPhone and iPod Touch around madly and pray to win. Similar to Two-Player mode, it has a still picture of your opponent on the screen which is very well done.
You DEFINITELY aren't playing correctly.

All attacks are telegraphed so you can block them. Find a pattern and wait for breaks in attacks and get in a single stab.

Samurai don't go flailing their swords about praying to connect. They focus on their opponents, block attacks, and wait for an opening to attack.
06-10-2009, 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegantTnT View Post
You DEFINITELY aren't playing correctly.

All attacks are telegraphed so you can block them. Find a pattern and wait for breaks in attacks and get in a single stab.

Samurai don't go flailing their swords about praying to connect. They focus on their opponents, block attacks, and wait for an opening to attack.
What I mean is that since you're playing against a virtual enemy, you can't really know where to block or hit since you can't see them or their sword or attacks so all you can do is stand there and swing and jab and hope for a hit on them.

Sorry, I'm dead.
06-10-2009, 11:13 PM
This doesn't seem like my type, sword-fighting with my iPhone was definitely not what I was expecting.