★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

favorite shoot'em ups (shmups) on the iphone?

06-11-2009, 07:08 AM
favorite shoot'em ups (shmups) on the iphone?

I'm developing a shoot'em up, and love them, but friends have been pushing me to make games for the iPhone instead of the Xbox... so since I am here, I thought I would ask:

What are your favorite shoot'em ups (shmups / 2d shooters) on the iPhone?!

Matthew Doucette / Xona Games
Duality ZF: Our upcoming 4-player dual play Xbox 360 shoot'em up (shmup; 2d shooter).
06-11-2009, 07:18 AM
R-type FTW!
oh wait.. there's no R-type for the idevice. So Hotfield and Sky Force.
It'd be nice to have an R-type or something very very very very near that on the idevice

edit: judging from the screens and vid of Duality ZF, maybe a port to the iphone?

Last edited by slighmd; 06-11-2009 at 07:24 AM. Reason: just saw duality zf

06-11-2009, 07:29 AM
vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WSW3huWniY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rVyHB5mN5M

What did you think abuot the control of Hotfield vs. Sky Force? I prefer Sky Force. Is there a better way to control a fighter than either of these games have implemented?

Duality ZF: Our upcoming 4-player dual play Xbox 360 shoot'em up (shmup; 2d shooter).
06-11-2009, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slighmd View Post
edit: judging from the screens and vid of Duality ZF, maybe a port to the iphone?
If we could port it easily, we would, but we can't. We can port to the Zune easily, so we may do that just to do that. Of course if we knew we'd make 100x the money, then we would change our minds.

I think a core game mechanic goes missing when you port a shmup to an iPhone, which forever curses its sales. Just a theory, but I'm going to look into it.

Edit: Oh, and watch the Duality ZF trailer to get the full effect. Screenshots don't quite give the full picture. The game would have to be considerably "dumbed down" to port to either the Zune or iPhone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TkG6J2CWvU

Last edited by Matthew Doucette; 06-11-2009 at 07:37 AM.
06-11-2009, 09:11 AM
My game, Anomaly / Anomaly Lite, along with a few other recent releases have all implemented a dual thumb control scheme which works very well

Anomaly

Download Anomaly Lite for free - and try both portrait and landscape controls

Get fired up and hit the road in Assault Bandit
Take flight through the night skies in Unicorn Rush!
Spark It Up! - Zombie Dash - Anomaly - www.sumiguchi.com - Videos Here!
Have a toddler at home? Take a break while they learn to count: Count With Me (Free - No ads/links or other BS)
06-11-2009, 09:12 AM
My game, Anomaly / Anomaly Lite, along with a few other recent releases have all implemented a dual thumb control scheme which works very well

Anomaly Trailer

Download Anomaly Lite for free - and try both portrait and landscape controls

Get fired up and hit the road in Assault Bandit
Take flight through the night skies in Unicorn Rush!
Spark It Up! - Zombie Dash - Anomaly - www.sumiguchi.com - Videos Here!
Have a toddler at home? Take a break while they learn to count: Count With Me (Free - No ads/links or other BS)
06-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Siberian Strike. Definately.
06-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumiguchi View Post

Anomaly Trailer
After posting I stumbled upon Anomaly (and added you to youtube!) and saw your solution. That's great. Exactly what is needed. I knew something was needed, I just didn't know if it was possible and practical. Great job.

06-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquiso View Post
Siberian Strike. Definately.
That's the best selling shmup (or one of the best selling games/apps for that matter), right? Correct me if I am wrong. This was the only shmup on the iPhone I heard of before coming to this forum.

06-11-2009, 01:51 PM
Not initially, they dropped price and it did very well. It's well reviewed.

You probably heard about it because it was a 2D Mobile port, though it's definitely made for the iPhone.