Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 09-26-2011, 06:14 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Default FlipShip - (by ByteSize Games) +Lite

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Lite: http://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/flipship-lite/id464047586?mt=8

Last edited by Echoseven; 09-27-2011 at 12:27 AM..
Old 09-26-2011, 08:14 AM
iPad, OS 4.x

Looks pretty awesome. Hope the music was in-game.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:19 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by caanerud View Post
Looks pretty awesome. Hope the music was in-game.
Yeah it does look great. I'll be getting this. I agree about the music. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:41 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Combining the Tilt to Live type of gameplay, with color-matching looks like a great idea. Your ship looks pretty large for a game like this though, but I'm guessing will probably work out since not everything is out to get you.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:13 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I think I get the gameplay which is a bit of a wacky twist. All of the baddies are one of two colors. Your ship can freely change between these two colors. Your ship can freely shoot and run into ONLY the baddies of his current color. Special weapons on the field activated by running over kill indiscriminately regardless of color. Your points are based largely on how many baddies you can kill before switching colors again. So it isn't just a matter of how many you can kill in rapid succession but how long you are willing to hold out in one of the two colors to get that huge combo score.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:04 PM

You are almost exactly right on the gameplay, Lord Gek, though your ship will still be able to smash into enemies of the same color if you are not careful. Since you have been so good about relaying your impressions of the screenshots and trailer, we've PM'ed you a promo code so you can share with the other forum members your impressions of the game itself.

Also, with respect to the music. I can confirm that the music in the trailer is the music used for the game, though at present the "bridge" music (heard in the middle of the trailer) is not a part of the game's soundtrack.

Hope you like the game LordGek! Can't wait to hear what you (and everyone else) thinks. We've been working on this for a long time!
Old 09-26-2011, 12:13 PM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

Yep, LordGek has the large part of it right. As ByteSizeRick said, your ship can shoot only enemies of its own color, but it will be destroyed if it is hit by either. Special weapons float around the field and will destroy enemies of both types or start some other kind of special effect.

Perhaps most importantly, scoring works exactly as LordGek described, with combo score being based on how long you go without flipping rather than how quickly you destroy enemies. In addition, the points are at risk until you flip, so if you die with a big combo score all those points are lost .

We are very excited about FlipShip's release and happy to answer any questions about it, so please feel free to ask any questions on this thread. Thanks!
Old 09-26-2011, 12:32 PM

Well, the trailer has me sold, so count me in as a customer. Just curious, why did you guys opt for a non-Thursday release? I actually kind of wish more devs did this, instead of piling all of the releases on the same day.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:42 PM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

Great to hear, Dazarath!

As for releasing outside of Thursday, I think it's pretty much because we feel the same way that you (and, we think, a lot of other people) do. There's just way too much activity on Thursday now, and while that may mean a lot of eyes on the store, it also means it's very easy to get lost in all that traffic.

We felt like we could stand out a bit more by avoiding 'App Store Thursday', and hopefully we are right, but either way we'll have a better idea pretty soon.

Thanks for the question and your upcoming purchase!
Old 09-26-2011, 12:55 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default Game Impressions

The fine folk of BiteSize just handed me a promo and, GOSH DANG, this game rocks hard!

Right off the bat you can see a bit of a nod toward Tilt to Live and Hyperlight, but this is only a fairly superficial connection as it is really its own thang.

Just keep your ship moving about via tilt controls and it will automatically shoot the nearest same colored baddies. You can also just run over same colored baddies as well with complete impunity. As the dev had just stated, there is no "time" element to the combo, it is simply a matter of how many baddies you can kill. You see your points earned with each ship killed and will note that every ship killed is a few more points than the last (the first ship is 7, then the next is 15, and the score per ship just seems to ramp up at an insanely progressive rate where you're up to thousands of points per ship in no time). The catch, just as the dev stated, however, is that you don't lock these points UNTIL you switch colors. So you can't simply pull the Tilt to Live deal of making as crazy a combo as possible until you die in a glorious explosion but actually need to use a little restraint and make the call when you think you've taken this color as far as you can and need to switch over to the other color and start your combo score from scratch all over again!

If the core gameplay weren't nifty enough, they offer a handful of difficulty levels and different ships to fly as that not only look different but offer their own unique special attacks.

I've only just started with the game but it is already very easy to pickup potently addictive fun!

5/5