★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: James Howard
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 38.9 MB
  • Version: 1.1
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Medieval jousting.. on dinosaurs!
Dino Joust! is the world's first dinosaur jousting simulation, the result of a 30 day game making challenge!

Dino Joust! features:
* Medieval jousting while riding dinosaurs!
* Six playable characters
* Fight for the crown in Tournament mode
* Challenge your friends in Versus mode

jhhoward's comments:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Youtube link | Pop Up
09-20-2012, 02:02 PM
Nice. Not sure I should be having so much fun with a single tap game
For being made by one guy in 30 days this is pretty damn cool.
Not sure if its got leader boards or achievements as gamecentre isn't working for me on iOS6 ?

I'd love to see this go further with some better ragdoll crashes/finishers as there cool now but is love to see arms and legs waving around

Well I'm off to play some more but my opinion pick this up and at least give it a try.

09-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Thanks!

I'm really glad to hear you're enjoying the game and having fun!

In regards to Game Center, there are achievements in the game that you can earn and some of them are pretty challenging! I will be downloading iOS 6 soon, is the problem with Game Center in general or just Dino Joust?

I am very keen to add updates and your feedback is much appreciated! I have already had a player recommend building their own character in a 'dino crafting' fashion. I will have to look at your suggestion to make some extra epic ragdolls
09-20-2012, 06:02 PM
I think the problem is just with gamecentre because since I updated to iOS 6 the gamecentre app won't work and trying to do anything with gamecentre through a game (any game) doesn't work either.

Making your own dinosaur/knight sounds cool. Maybe some kind of progression style tournament where you earn points or gold to spend on upgrades for either performance or just visual?
Either way as it is now its a fun game for a quick go. I like the way the screen is layed out so you can see both players on either side and their positions along the bottom.
Great stuff.

Edit.
Or how about some kind of mini game style mode, knocking something down or breaking something? Or aiming for targets? Just throwing random ideas out here.

Last edited by oooooomonkey; 09-20-2012 at 06:04 PM.
09-21-2012, 01:25 AM
The split screen was a big plus point right from the beginning because I wanted to show your opponent racing towards you and you could aim your lance accordingly. Also it opens up the game for same device multiplayer which is awesome on the iPad!

I'm making a note of your ideas for future updates, thanks again for the great feedback!
09-21-2012, 11:06 AM
Wow, this game is pretty epic, especially given the amount of time spent on it. The jousting mechanics are extremely elegant yet completely engaging, keeping your eyes glued to the joust as you root for your guy while simultaneously giving you complete control of him at the same time, all with just a single repeated tapping mechanic.

Well done, sir!
09-21-2012, 11:23 AM
Thank you for the kind words good sir!

I'm really glad to hear that you are enjoying the game, do you have any suggestions for what you might like to see in updates?
09-21-2012, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhhoward View Post
Thank you for the kind words good sir!

I'm really glad to hear that you are enjoying the game, do you have any suggestions for what you might like to see in updates?
Actually I do! I had thought of a few things but forgot them when writing what I wrote above, but this game is so addicting I had to play a few more jousts, and then they came back to me.

My first suggestion is that it would be cool to see how much life the winner had after the final blow, so you could see either how close you were to beating them or being beaten yourself if you won.

My other suggestion is to allow continues in a tournament. Then you could also have a "hardcore" or "survival" mode where you can't continue.

Edit: Oh, and being able to create your own knights and dinos would rock as well. Maybe you could win gold in jounsts and spend it on parts to create them with. Then you could also have gold as *gasp* iap, because you deserve to make some money off this thing.

Last edited by MrMojoRisin; 09-21-2012 at 11:47 AM.
09-21-2012, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMojoRisin View Post
Actually I do! I had thought of a few things but forgot them when writing what I wrote above, but this game is so addicting I had to play a few more jousts, and then they came back to me.

My first suggestion is that it would be cool to see how much life the winner had after the final blow, so you could see either how close you were to beating them or being beaten yourself if you won.

My other suggestion is to allow continues in a tournament. Then you could also have a "hardcore" or "survival" mode where you can't continue.

Edit: Oh, and being able to create your own knights and dinos would rock as well.
Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely take a look at the life meter display as I agree it would be good to see how close you are, sometimes it can be right on the edge between winning or losing.

I originally designed tournament mode to be 'hardcore' as I think it presents a really tough challenge to beat. I really like your idea of a survivor mode though, that could be a brilliant twist on the tournament.
09-21-2012, 02:22 PM
I was having problems getting farther than the first few guys in the tournament, then I tried playing a different way and...

I'll share my strategy if anyone is interested.