★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Ragdoll Killa! - Coming Soon

06-11-2009, 01:48 PM
Ragdoll Killa! - UPDATE: Rejected

UPDATE 06/30/09 - Ragdoll Killa has been rejected. See post below.
UPDATE 07/13/09 - Changed the guy to an alien, changed the title to "Evil Alien Ragdoll," removed the red blood, and toned down several things. Got rejected again for the same reasons as the first.
UPDATE 12/07/09 - Got a call from an Apple rep who suggested I remove some of the more human-like sound effects. After making the edits and resubmitting, Evil Alien Ragdoll finally got approved.

Ragdoll Killa! has been submitted and is currently in review.

The app stars "Captain Ragdoll," who has stumbled into the back alley of a weapons testing facility. At your disposal are spikes, anvils, grenades, TNT and bombs. Bouncy balls are thrown in for fun (releasing toxic gas if you can find a way to pop them), and pressing the water button turns on rain, which causes a flood, which... well, you know.

Stats are saved for each death type, and the app respects your iPod music, so you can listen to whatever music you prefer to do your killin' to.

I know there are already several other ragdoll apps in the store, but I thought I could have some fun with my own take on the genre. Version 1.0 falls into the 'entertainment' category, though I'm considering adding mini-games in future updates.

Ragdoll Killa! will sell for $.99. I'll post a video and some promo codes when the game is released.

Ideas and feedback based on the above screenshots is very welcome. Thanks!

Last edited by BoiledGoose; 12-07-2009 at 06:32 PM.
06-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Seems fun. I've played a ragdoll game online before. It was a flash game. It looks like a great start and Ill check it out as soon as it's released.

The graphics could use a bit touching up though. Wow. A lot of ways to inflict torture on the ragdoll huh? Hahaha. Looks pretty interesting now. For $.99, I'll definitely try it out. It might even blow my mind away. (:

GameCenter: xVietx - Add me
Sorry, I'm dead.

06-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Poor ragdoll But hey, they bounce back easily, right? Looks pretty cool.

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre
06-30-2009, 09:28 AM
UPDATE - Ragdoll Killa! has been rejected from the App Store. I mentioned this in a developer thread regarding acceptance times, but I thought it would be good to mention in the "official" announcement thread as well.

The reason for rejection was Section 3.3.12, the response for apps with "content or materials that in Apple's reasonable judgement may be found objectionable by iPhone or iPod touch users."

I've received a lot of feedback from other developers, and it appears the app is just too graphic for the particular person who reviewed it. I'm going to rework the app, hopefully in a way that doesn't kill the essence of what makes the original version fun.

It's not the end of the world, but it's very frustrating.

06-30-2009, 03:28 PM
Sorry to hear about the rejection. It always cracks me up when a company like Apple thinks they can "reasonably judge" what I find objectionable, especially given some of the stuff they have allowed through. I hope you're not going to have to change the game too much in order to appease them. I was really looking forward to this.

Eric Pankoke
06-30-2009, 04:01 PM
Thanks a bunch for the support. A lot of the feedback I got from other devs was to remove the blood, but that kills a lot of the "charm," if there is such a thing with this type of app (what would Zombieville be like without the head splats - OK, still pretty fun - but you see where I'm going with this).

It looks like my best bet is to turn the ragdoll into an alien, change the blood to green and rename the app. It's Mortal Kombat a la SNES all over again...

Overall, I just want to get v1.0 out there so I can get cracking on updates, minigames, etc. Changing him to an alien won't alter most of the ideas I have, but now I'm glad I didn't spend a lot of time working on those things while waiting for acceptance, since it has to go through the whole review process again as a new app...

Good news is my next app is totally non-violent!
06-30-2009, 04:07 PM
So not to go off-topic here, but since you brought it up, how far along are you on your next project?

Eric Pankoke
06-30-2009, 04:52 PM
Rejection on vague, arbitrary grounds really sucks. I've heard of folk getting an update rejected, when the grounds of the complaint had nothing to do with the update, but centered on content that had already been accepted and available in the app store for months!

More to the point, there are a ton of super violent games that have already been approved. Your game has a cartoony look to it, and I wouldn't have expected it to get rejected judging from thost screenshots.

On a holding your breath note, I had been expecting Sniper vs. Pirates to get rejected - you get extra points for groin shots and decapitations. I must have lucked out.

You may want to consider renaming your app slightly - I suspect that the word "Killa" in the title didn't make you friends with whoever reviewed it.

Phil
06-30-2009, 05:03 PM
@PointOfLight - Thanks for asking!

Pretty close to submitting Alpha Runner v1.0. I had some corrupt file issues and had to rebuild some things, and my graphics card went on my main dev machine, which is always fun.

I was originally planning to release the game with 8 levels from the start, but after a few setbacks I decided to make the first level longer and release it as a single scored "run" and add new tracks just as fast as I can get them up. This will also allow me to adjust future levels based on feedback from the first, and allow me to put extra time into updates for Ragdoll.

The game will be free, so I'm hoping people will think of it as a Lite version that gets better with age. I've noticed that App Store expectations are WAY different than they were a few months ago, even for free apps. So we'll see how this approach works out. The main thing I think is to get some version of it out there, and then update like crazy.
06-30-2009, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroffolino View Post
Rejection on vague, arbitrary grounds really sucks. I've heard of folk getting an update rejected, when the grounds of the complaint had nothing to do with the update, but centered on content that had already been accepted and available in the app store for months!

More to the point, there are a ton of super violent games that have already been approved. Your game has a cartoony look to it, and I wouldn't have expected it to get rejected judging from thost screenshots.

On a holding your breath note, I had been expecting Sniper vs. Pirates to get rejected - you get extra points for groin shots and decapitations. I must have lucked out.

You may want to consider renaming your app slightly - I suspect that the word "Killa" in the title didn't make you friends with whoever reviewed it.

Phil
It's funny because everyone one I showed it to, including my mom who's an Episcopal reverend, had OMG reactions at first, but thought it was funny in a Looney Tunes kind of way. The blood is over the top enough to be ridiculous and you earn "Stats" for each type of kill. Keep in mind the little guy doesn't fight back, but he does cry for help, and that makes it even worse.

STILL - All that said, it is intentionally cartoony, and I honestly did not think it would be rejected (though clearly I was naive). I looked at the sheer number of "serious" violent apps in the store and thought a cartoony approach would be just fine.

They did include screenshots of objectionable examples in the email. One shows him bleeding from the head after getting hit with an Anvil. One shows the kill screen for "Death by Bomb" (each kill has a different kill screen and this one has lots of blood), and one shows him just sitting on the ground in a damaged state (there are multiple levels of texture swapping depending on how damaged he is).

Strangely, they didn't mention the drowning death, which is the only thing in the app that I thought could possibly send up a flag.