Official Thread: iMech (8 man FPS FFA over WiFi)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by flying_dino, Jun 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flying_dino

flying_dino Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Making iPhone Games
    #1 flying_dino, Jun 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
    Hi folks

Randy from Flying Dino here and this is the official thread for our soon to be released WiFi multiplayer game "iMech". I'm here to give you guys all the info on development progress, screenshots, and videos as well as chatting about general aspects of the game.

If you guys haven't already, check out the TouchArcade's WWDC 2009 preview.

So the big question is when is it out? We're happy to tell you that we're submitting on the week of June 15 - 19.
    The game's built from the ground up with a home grown 3D engine and network code. We have 8 player, lag-free gameplay over the internet without the need to open ports or fiddling with your router! Our 3D engine features beautiful dynamic lighting, rich colors, and smooth animation even with heavy action onscreen.

At launch we will offer 3 mechs, 5 weapons (machine gun, laser, flamethrower, missiles, and mines), and 5 maps. The game will be offered only in the US for the time being with both East and West coast servers to provide the best possible latency performance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The game's rapidly evolving even since these hands-on previews have been written but this should give you a good idea of how the game will be.

PocketGamer WWDC 2009 video

PocketGamer Hands-On (UK connecting to US East)

SlideToPlay hands-on at WWDC 2009

iPhone Game Network hands-on at E3 2009

The APPera E3 hands-on

Let us know what you think, we value all your feedback. As the release date gets closer we'll announce other features and pricing.

-Randy of FD

Flying Dino | Twitter | FaceBook

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I think Blake is actually meeting with these guys right now.

3. redsoxsrule424

redsoxsrule424 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    What! Hopefully he is able to get some interesting news to tell us about!

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Well he has my camera so if nothing else there will be video.

5. yournothere

yournothere Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Looks really good. I would buy it if it was out. Hope this comes out soon. I was wondering, Is there a lot of customization?

6. flying_dino

Jun 11, 2009
    Making iPhone Games
    No customization on the mechs planned for now, this is strictly a fast pace FP shooter rather than a strategy based mech game such as Mechwarrior.

-Randy of FD

PS: a batch of new screenshots plus new video coming real soon with tweaked gamma and music!!

7. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Wow, this looks really awesome! The lighting effects look fantastic, and I'm a sucker for anything with mechs. Can't wait to see some updates on this one. Can't help but think some customization woudl be pretty sweet though...

8. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
  9. charlieiscool12

May 22, 2009
    the mechs look good, but the textures look.... not as good.....

10. kqjrjkrawr

kqjrjkrawr Well-Known Member

May 24, 2009
    Student
    New York City
    Interesting game, I would probably pick this game up once i get the money after it's release.

11. Vinny554

Vinny554 Well-Known Member

?!! The front page on TouchArcade says its already submitted. :( I was looking forward to something new!

ok nvm....i just re-read it.....

12. flying_dino

Jun 11, 2009
    Making iPhone Games
    One feature that you guys might not have seen in the video is that when you double-tap on the left movement ring you'll do a jet boost but at the expense of your shield meter. I always play a bit on the risky side so i use boosters to surprise people :D

-Randy of FD

13. flying_dino

Jun 11, 2009
    Making iPhone Games
    Yeah we're doing final polish right now and QA, can't wait to get this on the store and start fragging people...I mean get fragged ;)

-Randy of FD

14. Vinny554

Vinny554 Well-Known Member

Well hopefully you submit it soon. Looks great. Definitely gonna need something to keep me occupied until KillTest (LiveFire's new name) comes out.

15. dashzed

dashzed Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    it seems to me to almost be a 3d iDracula... am i right? unless i'm mistaken, you have simply taken out y-axis aiming and gone for the(extremely effective) iDracula approach.

I actually think that this is a better way to do things than fiddle around with joysticks and aiming and stuff, better to let people concentrate on the fun.

i can't wait to buy this guys, looks very nice.

16. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    This game really does look sweet, I'm glad you mentioned that there's a boosting mechanic. From the video, my main gripe was that the mechs seems to move way too slow. But if you can boost, then maybe that will make it a fair trade off. Looking very forward to this one.

17. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    Wow. It looks amazing. I remember playing a Mech game before and I loved it so hoping to like this one just as much or even more. Only thing I'm worried about, like with many others, is the controls.

18. flying_dino

Jun 11, 2009
    Making iPhone Games
    I'm glad you brought this up, we are an avid fan of iDracula so you can see some of the influences there. Bottom line is when we were brainstorming the controls we felt that the iPhone's interface is very limited in terms of button layout because we don't get obvious things like trigger buttons like a gamepad (are you listening iPhone team??). Plus mobile gaming is not about complexity it's about having fun because it's about fragging people while waiting for dinner to be ready or while sitting on the crapper so why make it too complicated? :)

19. flying_dino

Jun 11, 2009
    Making iPhone Games
    Yeah I played a lot of Quake III, Doom II, and other old favorites so I wanted more speed when we first began development but after a while it starts to make sense considering all the limitations of the controls and the platform. We feel the pace is solid and in a hot game you won't have time to worry about how fast you're walking because you'll be too busy aiming and shooting people in the face. :D

20. flying_dino

Jun 11, 2009
    Making iPhone Games
    The best I can describe to you is like the previous poster said, it's iDracula in 3D space. Left is to move and strafe while the right ring is aiming. Trust me, once you place your thumbs on the ring, you'll instantly know what to do.