★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: All my games are now free

06-12-2009, 08:59 AM
All my games are now free

Hi Everyone;

My games Upsi Looper, Upsi Runner, GumDrops and Billionaire are now free.

They are all fully featured games, with over a month of full time work put into each one, but the reality of the app store means that they were earning about $1.50 a day between the four of them

I've decided that developing games for the iPhone as a business sucks (at least for me), but hopefully it will be a bit more enjoyable as a hobby.

This way I don't need to stress over sales figures, or trying to get reviews and marketing for the games.

Last edited by shen; 06-13-2009 at 03:33 AM.
06-12-2009, 09:15 AM
For game playing users, the iPhone is great at the moment, there are more games than you could ever hope to play, and finding good games for incredibly cheap is easy.

Some good games, and a lot of average and crappy games might get lost in the wash, but that only sucks for the developers.

06-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Come on, man. don't give up like that! The days of indies earning hundreds of thousands may be over but it's still a fun platform to develop on. My second title is in review now after the first averaged 2-3 bucks a day... but I've set my expectations a little lower on this one and will be happy with what I get. No reason to get frustrated yet.

Let them go free for a few days then jump them back up to a buck. Never know. I think the key nowadays is to improve your current apps rather than trying to keep up with the big houses. Depth and replayability is what people are after now, imo.

06-12-2009, 09:22 AM
I kind of see what you mean. My game yesterday was rising in the ranking all day and when I checked total downloads for the paid version it was at about 50.

I really start to wonder what it takes to get to the point where you are getting thousands a day. In terms of marketing I've done everything I know how to do. But you have to keep trying! Don't give up.
06-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Thanks deadweight, but the hassle of trying to make it work as a business is more stress then it is worth.

I gave it 6 months, and it didn't work out.

Maybe this way it can be an enjoyable hobby, instead of a soul destroying albatross around my neck.
06-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Dancy, thats too bad.

Consider yourself lucky to have made it into the top 100.

I think as a resume filler, or a part time hobby, iPhone development is great.

For someone at university, having a shipped product on the app store puts you ahead of 90% of the rest.

As a business, I would have been better off pumping gas, bagging groceries, or searching gutters for coins.
06-12-2009, 09:30 AM
When you make a new game advertise it here on TA, give out some promo codes in exchange for reviews, price it low( like 99 cents) and then just see how your app does after a while.
06-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Well, Shen, don't give up hope. You keep programming and I'll work on my artwork. One day we can team up and create a mind blowing game that will be so great that we can retire. Until then, learn from your mistakes and keep working on improving your skills. The next big thing is just waiting to be created.

MAX 3D Artist in Training
06-12-2009, 09:35 AM

Thanks, I've been there and done that.

sending out promo codes to 30+ review sites, plus running contests in the forums, giving away promo codes, getting a bunch of review in iTunes got me to where I am today.

Which is selling 1 or 2 copies of my games for 99 cents a day, and feeling stressed out and a failure.
06-12-2009, 09:36 AM

Last edited by Jane; 04-05-2011 at 02:11 PM.