★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Any chance of seeing classic Cinemaware games?

06-12-2009, 10:32 AM
#1
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Bethesda, Maryland
Posts: 489
Any chance of seeing classic Cinemaware games?

After seeing Ports of Call ported I was thinking how cool some of the classic Cinemaware games would be on iphone. Defender of the Crown, Lords of the Rising sun etc.

Anyone heard anything about these by any chance?
06-12-2009, 10:38 AM
#2
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,532
I think this is in the wrong forum.

06-12-2009, 01:03 PM
#3
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 4,044
My guess would be that unless they sold off their assets, we probably won't be fortunate enough to see any Cinemaware games on the iPhone. I just checked their web site, and while I realize that's not the definitive mark of what a company's up to, it doesn't always bode well when the web site is not kept up. The last news item was posted in March of 07, and it looks like the forum has been overrun by spammers. I'd say Cinemaware's resurrection was short lived. It's a shame, because I was really hoping for a new version of the 3 Stooges game (one of the most amusing Amiga titles overall, in my opinion).

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre
06-12-2009, 01:27 PM
#4
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,680
Send a message via AIM to dogmeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointOfLight View Post
My guess would be that unless they sold off their assets, we probably won't be fortunate enough to see any Cinemaware games on the iPhone. I just checked their web site, and while I realize that's not the definitive mark of what a company's up to, it doesn't always bode well when the web site is not kept up. The last news item was posted in March of 07, and it looks like the forum has been overrun by spammers. I'd say Cinemaware's resurrection was short lived. It's a shame, because I was really hoping for a new version of the 3 Stooges game (one of the most amusing Amiga titles overall, in my opinion).
Wow, stooges, haven't heard of them in a long time. I doubt most people under 22 know what they are.

Hell, i wonder if people know who charlie chaplain is.

Artist | Designer
@PixelDogmeat
06-12-2009, 01:36 PM
#5
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 4,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmeat View Post
Wow, stooges, haven't heard of them in a long time. I doubt most people under 22 know what they are.

Hell, i wonder if people know who charlie chaplain is.
I do! I'd wager that more people know who that is that you'd think. I think you'd have to start going a little more obscure like Buster Keaton before people had no idea what you were talking about. Didn't they actually make a movie about Chaplain's life not too long ago?

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre
06-12-2009, 01:43 PM
#6
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,680
Send a message via AIM to dogmeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointOfLight View Post
I do! I'd wager that more people know who that is that you'd think. I think you'd have to start going a little more obscure like Buster Keaton before people had no idea what you were talking about. Didn't they actually make a movie about Chaplain's life not too long ago?
Yeah I think Johnny Depp played the lead role and it was a good movie too.

Artist | Designer
@PixelDogmeat
06-12-2009, 02:34 PM
#7
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 4,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmeat View Post
Yeah I think Johnny Depp played the lead role and it was a good movie too.
Actually, it turns out it was Robert Downey Jr. I'm surprised at the release date: 1992. I thought it was a more current movie than that.

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre
06-12-2009, 02:42 PM
#8
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,680
Send a message via AIM to dogmeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointOfLight View Post
Actually, it turns out it was Robert Downey Jr. I'm surprised at the release date: 1992. I thought it was a more current movie than that.
ohh thats right, i'm thinking of the movie with depp where he played the person who came up with peter pan. Also a good one.

Artist | Designer
@PixelDogmeat
06-12-2009, 02:48 PM
#9
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 4,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmeat View Post
ohh thats right, i'm thinking of the movie with depp where he played the person who came up with peter pan. Also a good one.
That would be Neverland I never did get to see that one, either.

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre
06-12-2009, 05:42 PM
#10
Joined: May 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointOfLight View Post
Actually, it turns out it was Robert Downey Jr. I'm surprised at the release date: 1992. I thought it was a more current movie than that.
I remember that movie. A young Milla Jovovich was in it too.

1) Tried out AT&T tethering and did not have enough money for the pole.
2) Apple still hasn't fixed the no-hardware-keyboard bug.
3) Still can't use the "Cut" function on the AT&T bill...current 4.x issues